HMS Victory by nealefoulds - DeAgostini - Scale 1:84 - Trafalgar Colors - First wooden ship build

Great work!

I think your planking method is just perfect, I used it as a reference for my work.

I do have one question: I am currently building the same ship, scale 1:98.

I do not have any life boats on my kit (Mantua). Do you have any copy of the

plan for your lifeboats?

I hope you can help me on that.

Best regards

Pilidk

• 2 months later...

My last post covered the start of the planking. Starting from the lower gun deck floor and moving up!

This post then, covers the first gun ports added for the lower gun deck. The magazine suggested I cut the ports in a diagonal pattern across the centre first, and then cut the edges, but I chose to cut the edges directly. I have plenty of new blades, but it was still a painfully slow job!

The pics also show the mini-milestone of the completion of the cut-away section. Up to that point, I had to differ what I was doing on either side of the ship, but after row 11, both sides were planked identically, yey!

I also show here the completion of the planking over the second gun deck. Marking up the gun ports, by the way, is a fiddly piddly job and I hated it! It takes almost as long as cutting them out!

As my markings show, I do realise the importance of the old addage "measure twice, cut once"!! My error in measurement was not on the side of the hull, but was in the inaccuracy of the tool I made to help. Once I corrected it though, things progressed nicely, if not slowly!

I can honestly say though, never mind measuring; cutting the ports is the least pleasant part of this build so far for me, my hands still hurt :angry: Having said that, once I had everything cut out and started looking through the ship (through the doorways...), I did feel that it was starting to come together, so to speak, and it gave me a feel for the kind of view I might get at the end :D

I'm also showing off my template for the stern planking here, I was very proud of it :)

Hi There,

You've done a perfect job. It looks great. I'm building the same model and I'm in the stage where I need to complete the planking at the back using the card template but I can't find this card's measurements. Can you help me with that?

• 2 months later...

Neale, I just happen to find your link in a search, seen almost all your pics on Facebook first. Quite a project. And 8 weeks???? Wow, I have a way to go on mine before I will get where your at, but then I am doing other models too. Great job, I will be following along.

Tony Burgess