Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Now that my Triton cross-section has been completed, I finally  opened the Essex box, which I have had for a few weeks, for a serious look, after a couple of quick peeks. Since it is my intention to alter the kit in various ways, as I did with Fair American and Syren, I won't get involved with a detailed review or critique of the various kit parts. I understand that MS is changing some of the kit items already. I don't know whether those changes will be given to those, like me, who already have the kit.

My overall impression is that the kit contains good plans, detailed instructions and a lot of laser cut wood and photo etched parts, as well as metal castings whose utility is unknown to me at this point. I've made some preliminary decisions as to how I will proceed, but a lot remains to be decided as I spend more time with the project. I have the AOTS book on Essex by Portia Takakjian, which I expect to use in conjunction with the kit plans, but I have no idea yet as to how or how much. 

The one thing that I know for certain is that I will replace the kit basswood with boxwood for the hull planking not covered by copper and with holly for the deck planking. I also expect to carry out the quarterdeck and forecastle deck framing to a more detailed level and to do that with boxwood. It is likely that I will also replace much, if not all, of the kit deck furniture with scratch built boxwood parts. Finally, it is my intention to fully mast and rig the model, whether or not MS issues a second kit for that purpose.

I've been looking forward to this build for over a year now and I'm really eager to get started. I hope my old friends on MSW, and new ones as well, will want to look in as I go forward.

Bob

Hello Bob.

I followed your Triton build which was very interesting and will put a extra cushion on the chair for this build.

Looking forward to your build..

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Bob,

Looking forward to seeing ESSEX in the hands of a top-notch builder. Please reach out with any questions.

And I am working on the rig right now. Take a look at some of my posts for that thread. Although there are no construction shots (yet) still doing all the preliminary stuff. You'll get an idea of what I intending on doing with the second part. There's a lot more than just rigging.

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Sign me up for a front row seat!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Can't wait to see this. I want this kit and will just have to live vicariously through you for now.

Eric

Current build(s) ;

AL San Francisco II

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/862-san-francisco-2-by-eric-al-190-sport29652/

MS Rattlesnake

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/868-rattlesnake-by-eric-model-shipways-164-sport29652/page-2

Sitting on the shelf : MS Constitution, MS Sultana,

Wish List : MS Essex, Confederacy, and Syren, and a Victory kit by someone ?

"80% of the time it works every time."

Hi Bob

Based on all your previous work this is going to be stunning. I really look forward to your log from here on.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I am really looking forward to your new build, Bob! Essex is one of the frigates I am considering for my next build as well, although there is still some time until I need to make that decision  :) :) .

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Bob,

I was thinking about your opening post. I'm a fan of Portia but I did my best to stay away from the AOS book. Copyright issues aside, I lifted my lines from the original Hackett draught not AOS or Baker which is where Portia got most of her info. There is also an interesting article from (I believe in the NRJ) from a long time ago comparing the old Shipways solid hull, Portia's AOS and her P-O-F book. They were all different. The point of the article was that all based their work on Baker yet they all ended up different. There were even variations in Portia's work from AOS to P-O-F.

My point being - be careful.

Also you mentioned that you may include more detailed deck beams. I've attached a PDF of the deck beam layout I did for the model. It's pretty comprehensive.

The concept wasn't included with the kit. Take a look. When the time comes I may be able to save you some time drafting your own.

Dirk,

Make sure you bring enough pop corn for everybody and make mine kettle corn please. Thank you.

Sam 

ESSEX MS KIT DECK BEAM PLAN 082913.pdf

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Thanks to all for your fantastic show of support. Much appreciated.

Sam: It's a way down the road, but that's what I have mind and we'll have to have some conversation when the time comes.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I see that there is a seat available at the second row.

I will sit there and watch your build when you are ready to start !

And at your last post you are talking about pictures????

Where, where, where……. ;)

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Bob,

I just followed Sjors in, out of idle curiosity just to see what he'd do next. I'll grab some popcorn and pull up a seat next to Sjors, just to make sure he behaves himself. :D

This should be a very interesting build to follow.

For those wondering if I was ever going to get started -- I finally have gotten underway. Part of the problem was spending some time over a few days on the computer going over some issues with the kit with Sam Cassano, the kit designer. To make a long story shorter, Sam designed an alternate in the kit to allow opening up the gun deck and building up portions of the deck below. There were problems with the plans and the bulkhead former in doing this.  Sam will comment here on how he and Model Expo will address these issues.

I have now cut the former to do the deck drop downs, cut the bulkheads from their sheets and done some cleaning up on them, attached the rabbet strip, chiseled and sanded to the bearding line at the stern and attached the stem, keel and stern post. Since I am sort of the guinea pig on this kit, I have some comments for those following. The plywood for the former and bulkheads was difficult to work with: one of the sheets was not cut through by the laser and I have requested a replacement because the parts could not be released; even on the sheets that were fully cut, the tabs holding the parts to the sheets were large and hard to cut through -- I gave up on a knife and ended up using chisels; the slots on the former and bulkheads required considerable filing to open them sufficiently to fit; cutting the deck drop downs and the new slots for the affected bulkheads, after I figured out what to do, was hard work with saws and chisels ( hopefully this will now be resolved for the future).

Having said all of this, I'm still eager to go forward. Sam is intent on solving any problems and I believe that he will. Next up will be attaching the bulkheads.

Bob

post-186-0-41696700-1378222381_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-18824800-1378222442_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-96459400-1378222478_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-36506300-1378222515_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06044000-1378222542_thumb.jpg

And ------ you're off!  I'm glad it's you Bob.  You can handle any small bumps in the road.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'm looking forward to seeing this kit for sale. Watching your progress will be like watching the summer blockbuster movie teaser. I've admired your other work on this forum and I am sure you will make this into a masterpiece.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Great start Bob. I look forward to your improvements and modifications.

Should be fun for us all. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout