HOGA (YT-146) by Cap'n'Bob - SMALL - 1:96 - Navy yard tug - Finished

Many years ago I played at designing boats and dreamed of building them and sailing as a way of life.  Well that never happened.  Life got in the way.  All these years later it was good to see I can still take a partial set of lines and add sections as needed to finish a set of plans.  In this case I took the pdf. drawings of Nokomis and traced them into cad and added the rest.  I cannot say they are any better than the models but I feel better about them.  So now I can start making sawdust.

Bob

post-513-0-07926600-1378502781_thumb.jpg

On the Nokomis drawings there were 60 stations between perpendiculars. That is 18” per station.  I was given stations 17, 30, 31, 45 and 47.  The profile and the deck.

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looks good Bob! I scaled out the Nokomis plans at 1/4" = 1' and I see a model approx 15" on perpendiculars, is this going to be the scale you will be using? It will make a good size model, for those build pond boats 1/2 to ¾ inch to the foot would probably be better.  What program are you using to draw out the lines?

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

John,  Thank for the encouragement.

Guy,  The Woban Class boats were 100 feet LOA so at 1:48 (1/4” = 1’) she would be 25 inches long.  When I was doing RC, I would have made it that size with working fire monitors so I could spray all the other boats.  I no longer do RC.  This build will be a static build at 1:96 or 12.5” LOA.

The CAD program I use is DraftSight.  The same company that put’s out SolidWorks.  It is a free 2D copy of an old AutoCad program.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

It’s like the little train.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  But Bob, you always work in 1:48 or larger.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  I mean You just make it smaller don’t you?  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.  Crossed fingers.  Fading into the distance.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I c…

Bob

Keith, John, Thanks.  With encouragement like yours I know I’ll make it.

The first thing was to decide how to build this boat.   Solid hull, I don’t consider myself a good enough carver.  Plank on frame, why make frames when no one will see them.  I finally settled on plank on bulkhead.  So it was back to CAD.   Draw every fifth station to show the deck chamber and a slot to fit onto the new keel drawing.  Cut them out of 1/16" plywood and glue it all together with the deck.  Now it's on to the planking.

Bob

post-513-0-39137400-1379006838_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-99202400-1379006860_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-30817900-1379006849_thumb.jpg

hi Bob just catching up after my trip to the coast, I will be following along.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I've never used a CAD program before.......I'd like to,  but I think it would be too hard for me to wrap my head around.   that's why I rely on the parts panels to recreate my hulls.   the upsidedown piture you showed,  reminds me of the Nordkap I built.  I like that hull shape very much.....sadly,  I don't have those panels,  it wasn't laser cut.......it was an OLD kit :(   I want to get another kit though....I throughly enjoyed building that one

good to see a frame to the plans Bob.........now your cooking!  ;)    looks great!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael, Glad to have you aboard.  Hope you had a good time at the coast.

John, Yes the Hoga is finally taking shape and no one is more thrilled than Cap’n’Bob.

Popeye, I too love the shape of the old tug hull, but not many were of the length to breath ratio of 4:1.  That’s one of the reasons I had to draw it.  Don’t worry about CAD I used to use a drawing board and many MSW members still do.  Try it you might like it.

Bob

Guy, Don't worry.  I have tons of pictures.

Tom, Me too.

Bob

any deck pictures, close up structure or inside pictures ie: Cabins, pilot house etc:

I have always wanted to ride on a submarine but this is a hell of a way to get that ride!   A Woban class tug YTM 415 being sunk by a submarine ... I wonder whose goof up this was. It appears the sub was pouring the coal to her before the tug was able to get away for her, any way the records show that she sunk in a collision in Midway in Jan 1986 who collided with whom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKHLQMA_5U

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy,

Someone went on the City of Oakland (Hoga) derelict in the mothball fleet and took pictures of some of the deck and rusted pipes.  But I can always use more pictures. 

I have a question.  What color was the Woyot YT 150?  In the old black and white pictures of the Hoga YT 146 sea test the hull is dark and the cabin is light, but in the Pearl Harbor pictures the whole tug is one dark color. The Nokomis YT 142 drawings say Haze Gray (which is pretty light) but I don't know when that was added.  I am trying to make it as it was at Pearl.  Any help will be appreciated.

That’s quite a show of the YTM 415 going down.  What I noticed is that there are stabilizers on the bottom of the hull.  I don’t find any reference to them anywhere.  Not even on the drawings of the Nokomis YT 142.  Maybe they were only on the later built tugs.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Bob, what looked like stablizers on the bottom area of the hull in the film is rubber bumpers fitted for tugs servicing submarines, I am still doing some research on who mfg them..I remember them being "D" shaped same as the bow mats.

while I was in service (64-67) the colors were light grey for the bulkheads, pilot house and stack, medium to dark bluish grey for the decks and black trim for the top of the stack, Black on the sides and redlead (anti-fouling) below the marked  waterline. all the bits and accessories black and the drying rack for storage of the towing hauser on the stern was natural wood usually with some protection on it.

wow talking about bringing back old memories!

On the colors there were directives issued prior to 1941 that tells what the colors  would have been in 1941, I understand that these are still available but not quite sure where to get them!  Try Navsource or DANSF.

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Sorry, but I did it again.  I got so wrapped up in the building that I forgot to take pictures.  The hull is finished except for the rub rails, the prop and the rudder.  The paint is a primer, I still need to decide on the color.

post-513-0-07893800-1379610732_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-45140200-1379610742_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-40994500-1379610750_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I found a picture of the Toka YT 149, one of the Woban class, being lifted out of the water which gives me a great shot of the prop and rudder.  Guess that’s next.

post-513-0-54374500-1379610759_thumb.jpg

Bob

nice Hull.........looks really smooth!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On the YT149/150  when we were taken to DD 65/66 they painted the hull red lead color (I assume a anti-fouling paint) then black from just (2") below the waterline to the top of the gunnels, but you will have to do  a little research to see what the 1941 colors would have been. The hull looks like I remember and a good resource for your build.

I will put that picture in my resource file.

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Thanks, John, and yes that photo was a lucky find.

“…looks really smooth!”  Popeye, that’s the advantage of painting the hull.  Tons of filler.

Yes, Keith it is fun to finally build a model I’ve wanted to build for years.

Thanks, Guy.  I was going to paint it all dark gray like the pictures of all the tugs at Pearl Harbor (see the last picture of my first entry) but I’m afraid it would hide the detail.  So I’ll probably paint the hull dark and the cabins light. (see second picture)

Bob

Hi Bob,

I just found your build log and am excited to follow this project, great choice!!  and looking very very good!

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Thanks, John and welcome aboard.

Bob

When will I ever learn?  I forgot to add the bulwark supports to the bulkhead drawings.  To get the bulwarks angle I glued on ten temporary supports changing the angle of each by 2 degrees.  Then using card stock I made a template of the bulwarks.  I removed the temporary supports and glued the bulwarks in place.  Now I’ll fit the scale supports and a caprail.

Bob

post-513-0-46109000-1380043745_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-51380800-1380043755_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-47494200-1380043766_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-68558800-1380043775_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-94112900-1380043785_thumb.jpg