Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Primer on Planking by David Antscherl

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,229 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

Steve... here it is:  http://modelshipworl...d-downloads.php

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

ianmajor

ianmajor
  • Members
  • 885 posts
  • LocationBramhall, England

Steve,

You can go the pretty way rather than direct by going to the top of this page where in the header to the right of "NRG's MODEL SHIP WORLD" you will see "The Nautical Research Guild Home Page". Clicking on that brings up a page with "The Nautical Research Guild" in the title line. Just below the title three quarters of the way across you will find "Ship Modeling Resources". Click on that and you will get another NRG page. Below the titles are four rectangular boxes with red borders each containing a picture. The top left one has a photo of a partially made ship's stem and some tools. Below this picture is "Ship Modeling Database of articles". Click on that and you have arrived. The advantage of going the long way around is that you will see plenty of links to some very interesting stuff on the way. :)

• donrobinson likes this

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Janet B

Janet B
  • Members
  • 136 posts
  • Locationwarwickshire u-k

JanetB

After destroying my latest kit (HMS Supply)by trying to plank my first Caldercraft kit i got around to reading the article by David Antscherl on simple planking of model boat  hull/s.

Well i found it very informative and i realized if i had took the time to read it prior to attacking the kit as i did i could have saved myself the cost of purchasing a replacement kit.

i thought it was a very good article and i now realize it is not just a matter of just sticking strips of wood to the hull in just any old way,my thanks to David.

• mtaylor, dvm27, druxey and 3 others like this

Greenwichpaul

Greenwichpaul
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Obviously I'm years late to the party, but thanks so much for this article. I've only built on ship, the Swift, and although I learned a lot, this primer shows the solutions to many of the key problems that evaded me. Thanks for all your hard work - not just the advice but the excellent presentation.

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, Mahuna and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.