Help. Need 4 5mm deadeyes.

Hello all.

While placing the deadeyes on my Vasa's shrouds, I noticed that somehow (don't ask me how) I came up short with (4) 5mm deadeyes. That wouldn't be normally a problem as I could easily borrow them from the 4 unbuilt kits I have in my stash, but these were Jerzy's deadeyes from JBModel's site. Now this wouldn't be a problem either as I could order some from him and I'm sure I would get them by the time I finish with the rest of them, but Jerzy seems to be out of business now.

Chuck doesn't make deadeyes, and the other possible site (http://clasicmodel.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home) has no deadeyes at the moment.

So my last resort is asking here if someone has (4) 5mm deadeyes from JBModels that can spare. I'm willing to pay whatever you ask for them. (PayPal would be great)

I could use some of the "regular" deadeyes instead and they may be completely unnoticeable to the untrained eye, but since I "know" they are there and I know they look different, I rather not.

Please PM me if you think you can help me.

(BTW I have a shipping address in Texas)

Thanks in advance.

post-975-0-05870900-1379344356_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Try this site....Its the same blocks and deadeyes as Jerzy.   By the way....Jerzy's site is now back up but nothing is in stock...maybe someone bought him out???

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/accessories/index.htm

Chuck

PM answered, Tom. I am really grateful.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

• 2 weeks later...

This raises a big question for me . . . and possibly answers one.  The deadeyes in my kit aren't very good, in that the holes aren't placed consistently, and sometimes all three of them come close to being on a single line.  So has anyone actually dealt with the Ship Models site who would vouch for them?  Is that now the only place to get consistently good deadeyes?  Has anyone made their own?

cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin:    Model Expo usually has good dead eyes, various sizes.  And if you get some you don't like they are more than willing to exchange them for better ones.  Often they are on sale too.  When I buy them I try and buy the bulk lots....better bargain.

Tom

Thanks for that Tom.  I did order some from another source, and the brand is Model Shipways.  They're ok, but nothing compared to those in Ullises' photos.  I'll order some from ME just for comparison.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Unfortunately neither Chuck http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/ nor Classic Model http://clasicmodel.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home

have deadeyes in their stock. I checked the deadeyes in my Mamoli Royal Louis (most likely my next project) and they actually look so good that I don't see the need to replace them. The blocks on the other hand, are awful. 

Anyway I'd like to see those deadeyes from ME if someone gets them.

Hi Ulises -- Here are the deadeyes I got -- they're not from ME, but they are Model Shipways, which is the same brand I believe that ME distributes.  These are 5/32" walnut.  They don't look as nice as those in your photo, but that could have something to do with size.  Anyway, I hope the picture helps you choose.

post-1223-0-99491400-1381238382_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you very much Martin. Indeed, Jerzy's,  which were what I was looking for, are more flat and the holes are placed more far apart.

Anyway, this morning I finished placing all deadeyes in my Vasa. Had to mix a few of the "regular" ones, but I hope it will go unnoticed :P

These yours look nice, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ulises -- I just thought you'd be interested in this.  Keith Jewell of Modelling Timbers sent me a photo of the deadeyes he sells.  Unfortunately for me, his smallest size is 6 mm, but I thought these might work for you. 

post-1223-0-33928500-1383660672_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

These can be made by hand, whether you need just the few you might be short, or want to upgrade a whole ships worth.

Here's a batch I made, 5mm and 4mm--,

post-69-0-75191300-1383661266.jpg

Check my Oneida log, how-to begins at post #153 page 11.    The brass jig I used can also be made of wood (as Russ does) if you don't have the brass or soldering skills.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...