Balsa For Bow Blocks? (Moved by moderator)

Is it a bad idea to use for the bow filler blocks at the bow/stern on my first build, the Swift? It's an old kit & the triangles they provide seem a little small. I glued in the balsa for the bow but am wondering if I could have problems with the planking coming loose at those areas due to the balsa being so weak.

Thanks,

Jason

A way to make the glue hold better is,  after carving and sanding, puncture many holes in the balsa surface to allow the glue to grip better. Picture many tiny fingers holding on to the  Balsa.  BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

• 3 weeks later...

How about a block of basswood?

Okay, it's higher density therefore harder to form but the planking will certainly "nail" to it, both with glue and nails.

Just my two cents :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 1 year later...

I use balsa a lot for this purpose. Although when fitting structural timbers in for the bow, it takes a little extra care to not fracture the balsa. I like it because it is easily sanded and hand carved if additional adjustments need to be made after being put into place.

- Tim

I have used balsa as bow and stern fillers for my current build HMS Supply. I found that after fitting the blocks painting on several coats of a PVA wood glue/water mix (allowing it to dry between coats) made the balsa firmer and better to plank on to as the mix seemed to soak into the balsa. I have used basswood a number of times before for the same purpose. I think the balsa is almost as good as long as it is treated in this way and it is easier to shape.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina