Need help with Revell U.S.S. Constitution

Kimberley

Please help.  This is my first ship.  Believe it or not, it was actually suggested as a good starter ship when I went to the hobby store.  I have done pretty good, but I am down to the string part and I am not sure how to do the knots for it.  The good news is I am good with a needle, because I have done a lot of sewing.

Hello Kimberley. Well, the person who told you that Revell's Constitution is a good starter ship, either wanted to make that sale really bad, or had no idea what he was talking about. I have built this kit 3 times, so I know what I'm talking about. (I'm assuming it's the 1/96 scale kit?)

For help with the knots in the "RIGGING" ;) (the string part) see the answer Anja posted in your first post.

If you have more specific questions, just ask. :)

Oh, and welcome aboard.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hello.

The basic knots you need to know:

Clove Hitch

Half hitch

Reef Knot

Figure Eight Knot

Bowline

Learning those five should get you started rigging.

Have a look here:

http://www.nauticalmind.com/Knots-c-400.html

Some great introductory books on know tying to help you figure out each knot's purpose.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Kimberly and welcome aboard!

Here's a great animated knot tying web site--many are actually videos--that will show you exactly how to tie the knots... :)

http://www.animatedknots.com/knotlist.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Good luck on your build!

Jay

Current Build:

I think I should have mentioned I am doing the 1:196 scale.  The string is so thin and hard to tie with my fingers.  Plus, it slides all over the place when I am trying to tie it.  Any suggestions?  Do I put a touch of glue on the knot after I tie it?

GS-hypo, watered down fabric glue, and etc. are good choices for your knots. CA (superglue) can create a number of problems, so most builders avoid using it. Also 100% synthetic string is a bear to work with--it slips, stretches, is hard to tie or make coils with, and so forth. DMC brand thread is one of many nice choices--you'll likely get some different input here. Chuck P., MSW admin and owner of the Syren Model Ship Co. (link on forum contents page), sells very nice rigging line--highly recommend it! Also before you rig, pre-stretch the line you plan to use. There are many ways you can do this (I tie heavy wrenches to both ends of the line I'm going to use and then drape it over a coat hook high on a door for a day or two). Also, a 3rd hand or two are also very helpful and worth the money (http://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-Soldering-Tools-Magnifier-Loupes/dp/B000VB6HSM). Hope that helps, Kimberley! :)

Jay

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:

Thanks Jay.  How funny.  I have done a lot of arts and crafts, and I was even thinking DMC brand thread might work better.  I also know a lot about fabric glue.  I am good with needles too.  I have even found that they help clear out and punch through some of the holes in the plastic.  I am discovering that some of my own arts and craft skills are coming in handy.  I was even thinking that some of my tiny crochet hooks may come in handy.  I gave up trying to paint this ship, and and decided just to focus on trying to put it together.  It is amazing on how much I have learned, but I have a long ways to go.  I will per-stretch like you said.  The 3rd hand thing looks handy.

You're welcome. Your arts and crafts background will be a big help! There's a lot to learn with ship building--I'm also learning a ton, too. Plus, this is a great community of teachers--there are incredibly talented people with a wealth of knowledge here on the forum! :) I think that's one of the big reasons why I enjoy the hobby as much as I do.

Jay

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:

If you're up to it, start a build log, when and if you get stuck, post some photos and you'll be mobbed with help and offers of assistance. It's often easier to help when it's just one step at a time rather than a generalized "Help me with everything". Don't feel bad, though, we all started somewhere, and we've all gone through the same experiences. :)

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I did it!  I got my first rigging up.  I winged it.  I used a needle with the thread to weave in and out and around the poles.  Then I just tied it the best I could and stuck some glue on it.   :D   Andy, I think I will start a log for my next ship.  I am going to finish this one up the best I can, and then get started on another one that I can do more correctly with you guys helping me. 

Congats, Kimberley! Once you break the ice with your first one then the rest will come easier. But I would suggest sticking with the supplied thread. The DMC thread is too "stretchy" for this type of work.

Richard

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

I got all my rigging up.  I am doing the easy set of instructions for the rigging and sails.  I just started my first sail.  I discovered you have to do the holes and thread first before trying to attach it.  I have discovered that a very small metal crochet hook is great for pulling through your string through for knots, holes, etc.  Makes it easy to grab the string for the pull through. 

Kimberly,

If you aren't having much luck with the knots, Here is an alternative for ratlines. On a smaller scale model like yours, real knots can look a little over scale so I run a line of super glue across the shrouds and hold the ratlines against them for a few seconds until the super glue takes hold. then I touch each point where the lines cross with a blob of superglue which makes the 'knot' look bigger then move up to the next row. Use a nail clippers to trim the overhanging lines at the sides and then paint the whole thing with flat black paint. I know some will regard not tying knots as heresy, :angry:  and it does't work for larger scale models but it is very effective (and quick) on smaller models.

Welcome aboard,

Dan.

Another way is to use thin thread and the smallest (thinnest) needle that will work with the thread.  Run the needle through the shrouds and then knot the ends to the end shrouds (or just glue them). 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Kimberly, one of my first builds was the Cutty Sark, 1/96 scale by Revell.  It looked pretty good too, no sails though.  I did not case it.  It took a few bumps along the way, until my son was born and became ambulatory.  One evening, when we thought he was sleeping, he climbed out of his crib and dismantiled the entire ship. 

Well, I did build Old Ironsides too, but this time built a case.  It has survived very weill because of the case.  I think there are a couple of pictures of it in our websie - ctshipmodels.org.  (I'll have to double check). 

Buidling a model ship requires many skills and there are many cross overs from other disciplines. You have an excellent start, keep at it.

Duffer

Thanks for the tips guys.  I am definitely going to try them on my next build.  I finished my ship.  I winged it on a lot of things.  I just had to do my best trying to figure out how to make something work.  The sails were tough.  I need a third hand.  I did learn tricks as I was working on it.  I am starting a new one, and I will do a log for it.

Lots of good advice coming in so far.  If you haven't tried it, get yourself a quality pair of tweezers or two..  They make handling the ropes and getting the knots started much easier.  Once comfortable working with them, they almost become part of your hand.

Keep us posted and yes, start a build log on your next journey.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I too am slowly progressing with this kit and am just about to fit the masts and begin the rigging. I made this same ship 23 years ago and remember struggling then. I havent don much modelling over the years but now find that I have time to do so. I've done a couple of small planes and a 9 inch pirate ship to brush up on my skills..... this is a fun kit as a whole and I look forward to the 1:96 scale Connie that I have on the shelf. Post pics of your finished product, I've lurked here a bit over the last few years getting ready to start modelling again and the folks here can point you in the right direction. THe knowledge base is incredibly vast.

• 2 weeks later...

Kim: You will when you get there... :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Wow!  That looks amazing!  You are quite talented.  I think I will redo her again one of these.  Next time I will get her all painted and hopefully be much better at doing the rigging.  I want to do the 1/96 one.  I saw it is the hobby shop the other day for like $75.00.  I saw them on Amazon for less.  I was amazed at how expensive the wooden ships are.  I am quite pleased with myself for the work I have done on my new Santa Maria. 

• 1 month later...