Need help with Revell U.S.S. Constitution

Kimberley

Hi Kim, I am delighted you are progressing with your build~!  Perseverence is the key, not patience, although patience helps. 

What we are creating is an illusion, a model that looks like the real article.  If the model looks good to the viewer from a normal viewing distance, then we have acchieved one of our key objectives.  Thus, if gluing ratlines to the shrouds looks better than tying knots, then use glue.  I avoid CA one lines due to several problems with it, and instead use dilute white glue.

My first objective is to have fun, then to please others with my - our artistry.  As others have said, we all started at step one, made lots of mistakes, learned from them, learned from more advanced modelers, and made our next build even better.  When I started, there was no web or internet, so I had to find other modelers and get help by asking them.  With the website such as this, we all have access to modelers around the world!

Another tool I find indespensible is the forecep.  These are like scissors, can clamp the rigging line, and you can leave it on the line to act as a weight.  So, I have various sizes, some curved, some long, some short.  Tweezers are a must have, some short, some curved, you get the idea.  Start with a couple of each and you will find the ones that work best for you.  Crochet hooks and similar are extremely useful on a complicated rig like the Cutty Sark and the USF Constituion when you are well advanced with the rigging.

Enuf sed.  Have funl~!         

Duff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy new year. How are you progressing? got any update pics? 

Kim,

You say you're good with a needle?  I've seen this kit (and the Heller 1/100 Victory) with the ratlines done with a fine needle and finer thread just run through the shrouds...no need to do knots (particularly in this scale).  The lines are just beautiful.  You might consider this.

Richard in Nevada