Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wood Suppliers in Australia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I thought I'd start this topic for places to get wood for our Australian members.

The one I have used previously is Trend Timbers. They have a great selection of many different local, imported and exotic timbers. Their staff is very helpful even though I felt I may have been wasting their time with my minor needs.

Edited by Dan Vadas, 25 February 2013 - 07:16 AM.

• Cupidoll likes this
John

"Without ships there is nothing"

Jim Lad

Jim Lad

• Moderators
  • 5,235 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

On the other side of Sydney is Anagote Timbers of 144 Renwick Street, Marrickville.  I've purchased timber from them and found them to be very friendly and helpful to people like us who only want very small quantities.

John

Shaz

Shaz

• Moderators
  • 2,118 posts
  • LocationKansas

I actually discovered Modelers Shipyard http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/

Hobby Mill here in the US was shut down for their winter holiday so I need to get my wood from somewhere else. I found the people at the Shipyard extremely helpful, and they have a wide variety of wood in stock in varying lengths and thicknesses.

They do ship internationally as well, you will pay an extra $30 USD for the shipping, but for me, I chose to do that rather than wait until mid March to begin my build.

Edited by Shaz, 02 April 2013 - 03:16 PM.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Hi folks,

If you are a scratch builder, or like to make your own stock timber, then Australian Furnture Timbers in Port Melbourne are also helpful and will allow you to purchase 1 meter lengths.  You will need to be able to resaw/mill the large planks into billets yourself (or find someone to do this service for you).  They have a wide range of timbers and the staff have always been very helpful (no financial interest etc; just a happy customer :))

cheers

Pat

• PeteB likes this

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch) - underway

Next builds:    HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin 1:350)

Built:                Battle Station (Scratch)

HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (1:64)

Blackie

Blackie
  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I also use Modellers Shipyard but have found that Cornwall Model Boats in England have a huge range of timber planks and strips in differing species. Their website is http://www.cornwallm...p_fittings.html  

They will cut the timber to 500mm lengths unless you pay about $30 for a courier to deliver it in the original 1m length. That's not so bad if you order a number of planks and strips in one order.

Current build: Modified Harvey, AL

Past Builds: Kits: Schooner for Port Jackson, MSY and St Lucia (Tartane), Panart

Scratch: Captain Cook III Pilot Steamer and Kookaburra II motor launch

monkeysarefun

monkeysarefun
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPicton New South Wales Australia

Was in Tasmania recently and while at Strahan on the west coast went to see  these blokes:

http://www.tasmanian...om.au/index.php

They have timber slabs and offcuts of Huon Pine, King Billy Pine, Celery Top pine and other specialty timbers. I ended up buying various off cuts, then walking the 100 metres down the road to the post office and posting them home to myself.  Got about 1.2 linear metres worth of offcuts  of Huon and King Billy pine for  around $40, plus a few bucks postage.

• mtaylor, Brian the extraordinaire, KeithW and 1 other like this

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

An update, recently went to AFT (post 4) only to find that they had shut down - yet another timber source gone :(

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN, 16 April 2016 - 05:55 AM.

• mtaylor and Canute like this

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch) - underway

Next builds:    HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin 1:350)

Built:                Battle Station (Scratch)

HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (1:64)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.