HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Tops

With the lower masts constructed, I have moved onto the tops and as you can see, my planking technique is improving but I have some way to go yet.  I do not intend using plank joint trennels on the tops as the scale is much too small.  I have now tried several different ways of simulating the caulking and have settled on using a 2B pencil rubbed along one edge of the plank as the best finish at this scale.

post-385-0-50627500-1361250684_thumb.jpg

The trestle-trees are just loosely fitted and will be adjusted to their correct position when the tops are fitted to the masts.  I have yet to do the trennels for the platforms.

It took me a while to determine the best technique to create the futtock deadeyes and straps.   Eventually I realised that I could create the eye for the deadeye from brass wire.  Soldering this closed is not such a problem as these deadeyes are black, and a coat of Raven Oil soon hides any char/scorch marks.  I then flattened the tail using a pair of flat jaw pliers (no grip pattern on the inside of the jaws).  Once the tail has been flattened and cut to length I drill a small hole for the hooks that will secure the futtock shrouds.

post-385-0-80229400-1361250696_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-21012100-1361250693_thumb.jpg

The completed top platforms are shown below along with the futtock deadeyes ready for mounting when I assemble the masts.

post-385-0-61514600-1361250679_thumb.jpgpost-385-0-53316600-1361250688_thumb.jpg

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Upper Masts

The upper masts were fashioned much like the process used for the lower masts.  I have tried to make these from a single piece so that they are straight and stronger.  With one exception I managed this but the Mizzen top mast "got away from me" when I was milling the six-sided conical shapes and I had to cut it out and pin a new one in.

To ensure I had enough 'meat' in the stock for each process, I learned the hard way :) that I had to leave enough meat (diameter) in the round for the size of the future conical pieces and the masts caps etc and do a double taper design.

post-385-0-96024100-1361251146_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-20480600-1361251151_thumb.jpg

Well, that's me caught up folks, I hope you find this log useful.

Pat, 

Good to see this come back.  A beautiful build.  Just wonderful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for looking in Brian and Mark; appreciate the comments.  Let's hope all the old logs reappear here, there were some wonderful builds.

cheers

Pat

Pat,

I think we're all hoping that....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys, now back to the building board  :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Pat,

Great photos.  Your ships boats and mast tops are very nice indeed.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

thank-you so much for taking the effort to re-post the build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks for looking in and your kind comments, John, Carl, Kevin, Slog and Sherry.

cheers

Pat

Guest midnight

Pat , what great work . Your eye to detail is first class . It has certainly come a long way since i saw it in person a few years ago . Keep up the quality work .

Cheers Dave

Hi again folks, another small update.  I have started to dry assemble the mast components to check for fit, alignment etc.  The following photo shows the start of the Fore Mast.

Thanks for looking in Dave and for your most kind comments - still learning quite a bit as I progress :)

post-385-0-40878300-1361779559_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Thanks John, nearly missed the 'double intende' - can only go upwards now :)  Biggest issue I am having at the moment is determining what fittings/furniture to attach to the lower masts - the AOTS, kit plans and replica differ so much :huh:

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Pat,

I didn't think that AOTS and the replica would have differed very much, but I'd go with either one of those rather than the kit plans.  If you need any photos of particular parts of the replica just yell - she's at home in the museum at the moment.

John

Thanks John, appreciate the offer.  I would be most interested in the deatils of the fitting on each of the lower masts, and the quarterdeck bulwarks (inner details) especially cleats and the like.  The AOTS and the replica are similar in many respects, but the replica appears to make use of many more cleats on the masts and bulwarks (in lieu of belaying pins for the latter).  For example, the AOTS does not show as many cleats on the lower main mast as is evidident in a phopto of the replica I have from a few years back.  It is the only photo of that sort of detail I have, so your offer would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Pat

Pat,

Lovely job on your masts and tops,however I have a question. In your photo of the fore and fore topmast the top rope sheaves are running in the fore and aft  plane. Is this how they were fitted on the Endeavour ? Lees says that top rope sheaves ran diagonally,the lower sheave fwd port face to aft starboard face and the upper sheave fwd starboard face to port aft face. Not criticising,just curious. 

Kind regards,

Dave :)

Thanks for looking in Dave, and well spotted.  Nope I have erred and only realised it too late.  This is my first major build (and these masts are from scrtatch) and I have a lot to learn yet :)  I have ben telling myself that this is ok, but one of these days soon I will get the urge to remake them as while everything else is OK, the alignment of the sheaves in my masts is incorrect.

cheers

Pat

• 2 months later...

Very nice builds. I'm envious of your shop. I had one once but a divorce took care of that. I look forward to following your build.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks for looking in Texxn; its been a bit of a slow build of late as I have been using my time planning/preparing a big holiday I am about to take, so no progress on her until a bit further on unfortiunately.  I have been working on the spars in the background, and practicing making rope so I will be ready to go :)

The workshop is safe thanlkfully (god willing); this is my revenge for/from my divorce (my mid-life toy so to speak) :) - took a while to save for it though!  Great place to spend a bit of time with my boys (and the 'boys') to make a little sawdust and then have a coldie.

Did you get a chance to see the Aussie V8s doing their thing over your way last weekend?

cheers

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Anja, just back from extended holidays and didn't see you wishes before this; many thanks.  Great day relaxing in Paris with a show in the evening.

cheers

Pat

Hi Banksie, I get them from Miniature Steam here in Melbourne; they are the Aussie agents. Try John Godfrey at: http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/webcontent1.htm

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

A truly delightful build my friend.  I too am building the same ship with the same references and am encountering the same issues as you have alluded to!!  I have a small connection with the build of the replica - I live just up the coast in Western Australia where the replica build was undertaken and my son contributed and was there when the ship was launched - it was a fantastic day.  The entire staff tried to find another replica to build for the sole reason of keeping the various trades and experience together but it was not to be.  However some of them did work on the Duyfken.

Yes I too have found that there have been more than a few interpretations in how the Endeavour was built, however I have to agree with the direction you ahve taken in determining what may have been correct.

Thanks for looking in and your kind words Doug.  That is a great connection to the replica, I hope you son was able to continue on in that trade? 

It's been a while since I updated the build log as I have been on an overseas jaunt and I am only just recovering :)  I hope to be back in the model shipyard within the week (just have to finish one of the Admirals chores first :))

cheers

Pat