HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

On 23/02/2017 at 10:12 AM, BANYAN said:

Just thought I would let folk know that my Endeavour is to be used as a film prop in a forthcoming movie being shot in Melbourne - I can't release details but it will feature prominently at the end of the movie and while the credits roll.  A nice little 'return' for all the hours spent.  

So off to the shoot today.

cheers

Pat

Congratulations Mate

Not many people can boast that, and I do agree with you about it's being a nice return for all your time and efforts. in making that BLOODY INCREDIBLE MODEL.

Again Well Done

Havagreatime at the shoot

GREG

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks Dashi, how goes things?  Long time no hear :)  I hope you are finding time for your build also?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat,

Regarding your cutter - in my opinion you are building it the hard way. I found the "plug" method much easier. Here's a LINK to where I'm (clinker) planking the hull.

Hope this may be of some help to you.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Dan, I will check that out.  the cutter is on the backburner at the moment as I am heavy into research for the HMCSS Victoria and prepping for a holiday in May.  Will hopefully get back into this on my return 

Thanks for the link.

cheers

Pat

• 1 year later...

Thanks Pat, much appreciate your kind words.  I am happy to hear that you have found the build log useful.

cheers

Pat

• 2 years later...
On 2/18/2013 at 10:30 PM, BANYAN said:

Boats

Longboat:  After several unsuccessful attempts to build a plug (see picture) on which to build the boats, I was fortunate to be offered a 1/64 scale version of Chuck's 26 longboat templates.  I have included photos of some of these plugs which were designed for the cutter; I may still use one of them.  These are all sandwich constructed with two of them using vertical slices ('sliced bread loaf') and the other the more tradition 'bread and butter' horizontal slices.

When I received the smaller laser cut template from Chuck (many thanks), I did not have intentions of using it; rather, I was more interested in the larger 1:48 version he had created.  However, when I looked more closely at the smaller scale version provided by Chuck, I noted that, with very little modification, it fitted nicely to the dimensions of Endeavour's Longboat as described by both Ray Parkin and Karl Marquardt.

Both authors agree that a shorter and fatter (in the beam) design would have been required, with the shorter length to allow it to be stowed without interfering with the workings of the ship.  The wider beam allowed the boat to carry the required cargo, especially water casks.  By removing a couple of the middle frames from Chuck's design, the length and beam of the resulting longboat was correct to 1:60 scale for Ray Parkin's version for the construction of the longboat (94 mm x 35mm x 20mm).  However, I used Marquardt as the reference for the most likely fitting-out of the boat.

According to Parkin, the longboat would have been clinker built rather than carvel to provide a more robust boat that could be used to conduct the intended close-in coastal surveying (which I am assuming Cook would have wanted).  I have also adopted the two mast design with a sliding gunter rig, as this is what was clearly shown by the embarked artist, Sydney Parkinson (expedition artist/illustrator), in his sketches of the ship's boats.

post-385-0-33475000-1361186676_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-77353100-1361186680_thumb.jpg

The following photographs show the construction process for the longboat using Chuck's sacrificial bulkhead system to create the
skeleton/ribs of the boat. 

post-385-0-21371600-1361186877_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-41210900-1361186899_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-24068700-1361186890_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-95339500-1361186822_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-07446800-1361186837_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-74641900-1361186855_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-37595500-1361186869_thumb.jpg

The following photograph shows the near completed longboat; I have still to complete the oars, grapnel, masts etc.  I have painted the longboat mainly white as I believe it would have assisted with temperature control in the tropics, and provided higher visibility for the Endeavour's crew to monitor her movements during survey and coastal work.

post-385-0-94372200-1361186988_thumb.jpg

Very Nice work am reading slowly through this build. The long boat similar to Bligh's ?  cheers. 

Hi and thanks for looking in.  I am not sure whether this is similar to Bligh's boat as I have never done a comparison, but it did tie in somewhere between Parkin's and Marquardt's versions of a long boat.  Unless we find a 'way back' machine, no one will know for sure.

cheers

Pat

• The title was changed to HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768