HMS VICTORY by Kevin - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1/72

It looks really nice. Can I come over and play?

Mort

PS

Best of luck and enjoy your new home.

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mort

PS

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Mort

PS

708 hours 

It was nice to get back into the build, and continued where i left off last July.

Im not sue i like the gun-port rope work, or maybe i should have painted the hinges the same colour blue rather than leaving naked, they might haved blended in a bit better.

the brass profile above is just temporary as are the black deck boards

post-846-0-42538700-1364157019.jpg

post-846-0-79769100-1364157113.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin,

That looks just great.

You can paint the hinges or leave it as it is.

The windows on the right and left are also "naked"

And the profile above, you let that one also naked?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Kevin,

Nice to see your build back. If you're not happy with the gunport rope work, you might like to try "splicing" them. I picked up this tip from Gil Middleton's excellent log. You use a sewing needle to thread the line through itself and create a sort of fake splice. It is actually really easy to do and looks great.

Kevin,

Good to see you're back in the shipyard and making progress.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello everyone

i have some straight lines on the upper black/yellow ocrhe banding, every book i have put the lines above the upper gun ports in a slightly different position, so gave it my best shot

the 1/4 galleries, and the fitting of the window was quite fiddly but is starting to look ok, 

the tamiya tape is in the position to line out the decorative strips and the rear most channels

its good to be back in the workshop

all the best

post-846-0-11619600-1364578469_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-84014200-1364578499_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Glad to see you back at work.  You are doing an awesome job on a great (my favorite) subject.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Prep work to secure the channels to the hull, using 1mm drill bits 

post-846-0-57271700-1364594642_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-91869200-1364594646_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin:

I have used hidden dowels like that to attach things on models and it really helps. Good work.

Russ

Hello Kevin

Just finished reading through your Build log and I have to say - how can one go wrong with Wabbits and F1.

The workshop is as much a part of the build as the ship or tools, love your showing the details of setting it all up.

I also like how you give times, Id be afraid to count the time. Does one include the amount of time staring into space and thinking while scratching your head? I think I have more of those minutes then actual build time.

Nice job of your Victory (the ship and finishing the shop before Easter), Looking forward to seeing her grow. 

Good evening every one - and happy Easter, as it already Sunday in some places

a lot of work done on the build - not much to show for it

stbd aft chain channels have been dry fitted and all the decorative strips in-between then have been cut and fitted into place, then primed and painted black, i took some photos, but need to redo them again, not good enough  to post, my new workshop has no natural light, so no detail showed up

i am trying to best work out how to paint the stips as they pass through different colour bands

post-846-0-95953500-1364666891_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-42747700-1364666897_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-38642500-1364666903_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin nice to see your build up and running once more,how you get on with those strops and dead eyes? just finished my channels and fittings pleased to say,nearly filled my swear box up doing those lol.Brass strips me personally i have not followed the plans 100% with them to be honest ditto with the diff patterns on them,once they are painted they all look the same anyway they really do.Ok keep up the good work.   DEREK     :pirate41:

Hi Kevin,

Good to hear that some of your earlier re-work is starting to pay off for you - that must be a good feeling. She's looking great!

total build time 737 hours

Good evening everyone

very little progress today, but did get time to understand the Jotika way of fitting Dead-eyes with their new strops, the Deadeye is pushed into the open ended strop and the two little side bars hook into the wood of the channels, it is such a tight fit that it would take quite an effort to pull then out when it come to rigging this leaves a closed loop to attach the chain plates to the assembly

please excuse the pathetic drawing 

post-846-0-57268800-1364766360_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

afternoon everyone

Took the build out into daylight, channels, dead eyes and chain-plates continue

post-846-0-60012900-1364834355_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-46352100-1364834366_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hey Kevin.....

Stop me if I'm wrong... but it looks like one of the wabbits has taken a wee nibble out of your nice copper tiling job... :o

Hope I'm seeing things :huh:

Anyway, I remember doing the deadeyes on my build, and although it wasn't hard.. it was tedious... and you've got a lot more than I had to do...

"String is in the air" as they say... ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

She looks very impressive outside Kevin, looks like you had a rough sea knocking a few copper plates off, hope they're not lost!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

i made a mistake, but is not to drastic to put right and LOL it has nothing to do with no glass in the 1/4 gallery

The chain plates

the instructions with the kit are to say poor is an understatement, it basicly shows you the advantage of being able to close the loop like a nappy pin

what is fails to tell you is the process for making them up

it was not until i studied Keith Julliers explanation and looking at Gils photo's 

that i noticed that the actual plates then self s have to be separated into two or three parts, 

good god nearly had Murphy visiting my new workshop

i have posted a photo to try and explain, the flashing between the links has to be removed and then build them in a link form

i can see that there maybe builds that have incorrectly completed this task, and understand why

post-846-0-47540700-1364843144_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin,

Good to see you back to building and making progress so quickly.  Who need's Jotika's instructions when we all have each other?  One question I have on your latest photo.  The plans show the chain plates attached directly to each other and then to the plate that affixes them to the hull.  In your picture you seem to have an additional "tab" beteween the chain plates and the piece at the bottom, and it looks like the completed chain plates are longer than those shown on the plans?

Patrick

Hi Kevin,

Good to see you back to building and making progress so quickly.  Who need's Jotika's instructions when we all have each other?  One question I have on your latest photo.  The plans show the chain plates attached directly to each other and then to the plate that affixes them to the hull.  In your picture you seem to have an additional "tab" beteween the chain plates and the piece at the bottom, and it looks like the completed chain plates are longer than those shown on the plans?

Patrick

Patrick 

thanks for the reply, that's the point i was try to make, the plans don't show the tabs and the instructions don't mention having to cut the tabs out, im sure Gil would have mentioned this in MSW 1.0 , but i guess we are having to learn all the same mistakes again, Anyway, i am at present sorting the problem, channels are removable from the hull, and the glued link on the bottom of the dead eye strop is easily unglued, - no damage done, 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi Kevin yep the manual is cack  when you get that part i agree,have completed my  channels and dead eyes now,not the best chains i have come across poor quality,i found also when you put the strop in the channel i t was a struggle with the smaller dead eyes to get enough strop below the channel,to hook the chain,got ther in the end after a few choice words.I spoke to Gill over this part of the build and he just plain forgot to put anything about it  on his log thast is why its not mentioned .DEREK

Edited by ocean clipper