Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Nautical Research Guild Mentoring Program

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

dvm27

dvm27
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

NRG BW Round Logo.jpg

The Nautical Research Guild is pleased to announce the launching of our new Mentoring Program. One of the chief directives of any guild is to enhance the knowledge and skills of it's members. Mentoring has always been a traditional method of achieving this. In this program qualified mentors will be paired with ship modelers on a one-to-one basis for a period of one year. While Model Ship World is an excellent venue for having one's work displayed or seeking advice, the responses are sometimes conflicting or confusing (as is the case in any public forum). Or perhaps, as a new ship modeler, you are too shy to share your work in public. Our mentoring program addresses these concerns and allows the necessary follow-up when required.

At present, we are seeking individual ship modelers with some expertise in kit, semi-scratch or scratch building categories. Potential mentors must be NRG members who wish to share their knowledge and experience with others. The period of mentoring will be for one year or until the project at hand is completed. Periodic reviews by both parties will insure the pairing is working and, if either party is dissatisfied, adjustments will be made. Mentoring is not only very rewarding for the mentor but an excellent way to give back to our hobby. If you would like to become a mentor please send me an e-mail at dvm27@comcast.net.

Once we have established a database of mentors in each category we will be seeking  builders wishing to participate in the program. Membership in the Nautical Research Guild is a requirement so, if you are not a member, please visit our website http://www.thenrg.org/ and check us out. Lots of exciting things are happening in the NRG!

Greg Herbert

NRG Director

• Chuck, trippwj, Anja and 12 others like this

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

gjdale

gjdale
  • Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia
Great initiative Greg and well done NRG!
  • Jaxboat likes this

Grant

Current builds:

1949 Chris Craft 19' Racing Runabout - Dumas - Radio

Previous builds: Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section - ScratchbuildHMS Victory (Mamoli 1:90), Cutty Sark, Armed Pinnace, Bounty, Santa Maria

At another place: Stephenson's Rocket (OcCre 1:24) (click the title to follow the link)

In the Gallery: Lancia Armata 1803, Bomb Vessel Granada, 1742 Cross Section

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

Looking forward to seeing how this initiative works out. Great idea!

• Jaxboat likes this

Mau

Mau
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo
Hi Greg,

I hope this applies to modelers from other countries. I am very excited about this idea.

Mauricio

donfarr

donfarr
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Fantastic idea Greg, long needed. I could start w/ a mentor for the Echo cross section have everything but some knowledge, Along w/ Chucks monographs the the NRG might be finally coming to grips w/the majority of intermediate modelers. Thanks to you and Chuck. Do you know when first monograph will be out. Thanks Don

• Chuck likes this

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Its probably one year away Don....After that, it all depends on what members submit an idea and deliver a monograph of their own.  Remember,  the grant program was created as a way for the NRG to use the collective talent and expertise of its more experienced members.   We are hoping that these members would step forward and contribute such a project as an extension of the mentoring program.  Its just another way for more experienced builders to help educate and encourage those who are just starting out.

Both programs are dependent on NRG members volunteering their time and expertise.  Should anyone out there who wants to become a mentor or create a model project for these two programs....please contact Greg or myself for details.

Remember that you must be an NRG member to become a mentor or a mentee....and submit a proposal for a grant.  If this is something anyone would like to do,  please let us know.  It is very rewarding to say the least.  Plus with teh grant program you can make a few bucks as well and get to see your projects built by others.   That is always lots of fun!!!   :)  :)  :)

Chuck

• Jaxboat likes this

Chuck Passaro - MSW Admin 

Current build - HMS Winchelsea - POB scratch build

HM Cutter Cheerful - POB scratch build

Royal Barge - POF scratch

www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com

donfarr

donfarr
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Hi Chuck and Greg, Just a thought why not charge the individual mentee a small sum may attract more mentors, just like some pay for practoriums, just an idea.Thanks Don

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Interesting idea...but I think that it wouldnt be in the spirit of what we had in mind for the program.   All members already pay a fee.

Its the annual membership fee.   Membership does have its benefits.  This is certainly one of them. I would encourage all of you to take part and become a member mentor or mentee. 

Chuck

• Ryland Craze, trippwj, Jaxboat and 1 other like this

Marcus Botanicus

Marcus Botanicus
  • Members
  • 937 posts
  • LocationCrown Point, IN, USA

I talked to Kurt v. D. about the Model project grant and thought it would be interesting to come up with a small Dutch flat bottom boat and there are many of them.  So in the next few weeks, I will research what boat I can convert/re-draw in a CAD program and built it myself.  I can write proposals - did that when I was in graduate school.

I looked at the plan from the Hudson River Sloop and those are simple enough to draw something similar for a flat bottom boat.

There is a museum in Holland h**p://www.friesscheepvaartmuseum.nl/ and they have many plans freely available.

My question is.....and I quote, "Each project ........research obtained from primary or secondary sources".

Does this mean that I go to the above museum and - choose a plan?

Marc

• Chuck likes this
Commission for my sister: Cape Cod Catboat

On hold: Fairing the frames Statenjacht 'Utrecht'
Research, CAD drawings of the The Ships of Abel Tasman; the yacht 'Heemskerck'
Future: 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships; Boyer, Galliot, Kaag, & Pink (1:48)

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Marc

Yes....if you you have any questions about the program....please contact me directly about them.   Use my email address listed on the Grant form.  I dont want use the forum to discuss the projects as they are developing.   Use whatever sources you can find.  This is your project.

Chuck

• Marcus Botanicus likes this

Paddy

Paddy
  • Members
  • 388 posts
  • Locationnear Trempealeau Wisconsin USA

Hello Chuck,

After reading the latest NRG Secretary's Newsletter decided to do a search here for a possible thread covering your article "Introducing the Nautical Research Guild Ship Model Grant Program". Sounds like a grand program and a welcomed resource for those of us that are interested in learning and doing a scratch project that we apprentices my have success at. The Hudson River Sloop looks like a good "First Effort" as you said. One question I have is what scale has been chosen for the Sloop?    

Anyway, fingers cross in the hopes that a good many folks become interested in this program and join in.

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

Thanks for saying..The plans were developed by Paul Fontenoy at 1:56.  We wanted to get as much detail in there as possible.  Its a real nice sized model.

Chuck

New Image.JPG

dvm27

dvm27
  • Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Effective January 1, 2014, the Nautical Research Guild launched it's Mentoring Program. We have plenty of builders willing to work with ship modelers on an individual basis to help improve their skills. The only requirement is that you be a member of the NRG. If interested in this program please visit our website

http://www.thenrg.org/. Plenty of exciting things happening at the NRG so check it out!

• helmsman and druxey like this

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

donfarr

donfarr
  • Members
  • 395 posts

Hi Guys, thank you Greg Mike has been in touch and it seems like we see eye toeye on things, have not deceded on what build to do yet but we will get there. Thank you so much for putting this together. Don

Chuck

Chuck

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts
  • LocationRutherford Nj

If you are thinking about signing up as a mentor  or if you are looking to be paired with a mentor,  please contact Mike Lonnecker 

The NRG is proud of how well this program has been working and we have brought some people together that now have grown into lasting friendships.  Plus the exchange of valuable experiences make it a valuable ship modeling resource.

In 2015...if you are a full member of the NRG and wish to participate,  let Mike know.

Click on this link for details

http://www.thenrg.or...ram-program.php

Chuck

• mtaylor and druxey like this

Uncle Si

Uncle Si
  • Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Congrats to MSW and NRG!!  Membership total for Model Ship World has surpassed the 18,000 mark.........

• Ryland Craze, justsayrow and Canute like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.