Scotland 1775 by cdogg - Corel - 1:64 - Baltic Ketch

In the process of moving, haven't been able to get any progress.  I planked the deck, which was actually pretty fun.  Having some issue getting the transom to fit but that's all that is left to start with the first layer of planking.

Plus, someone decided to pack up my tools so I need to find them.  My filing set disappeared, these things have become a key component to shaping hulls for me!

Edited by cdogg

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Got the decks done.  The stern sure was interesting.  I know there are a lot of ways to plank the deck, I went with the method suggested by the book because it appears even though I am very careful with the wood strips I may come up short on inventory if I cut them up too much.

post-5087-0-32093800-1390237295_thumb.jpg

post-5087-0-60914800-1390237295_thumb.jpg

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

That deck looks great Casey, and I totally agree with you re the value of a good set of files (in fact it was one of the tool recommendations I got from Chuck when I was attempting to build Catheads a few months back)

Keep up the brilliant work

Sláinte

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Eamonn. Going to start the hull planking today. Fingers crossed I got the bulkheads aligned without adjustments!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Best of luck with the planking, I am just at that stage myself but won't be starting until Wed next (Work etc, well that and the fact that I'm having a Lazy Sunday  :P  )

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Following, Casey. Just a question out of the ship world - is that avatar of yours Drizzt?

Vivian, yes!  When I created my account here I was reading every Salvatore book from the beginning, just finished the last one in November.  Drizzt is my favorite book character of all time.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I´m a Forgotten Realms DM for 19 years, now. Have a nice collection of books and pockets from there. Somewhere in the future I´ll build some fantasy ship from Halruaa... lol. And it´s difficult to ignore Drizzt with his 2 cimitars and that panther. Beyond that, keep building and I´ll follow. =D

Thanks Vivian. I wonder if there any good pictures of the Sea Sprite? I am looking forward to setting up my new shop on Monday, I'm finally going to get this build rolling a little faster. I also am going to start the Corel Victory cross section soon as the secondary build.

Also, I really need to explore how to cast my own parts. The metal parts with the Scotland kit are kind of crappy.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Casey, that´s something I´ve already noticed about metal fittings. For my three next builds I intend on not using the metal framings and windows/doors. Corel´s are a lit bit uglier than AL, but didn´t like the two of them. Everything shall be wooden, with frames modified.

cdogg  so far it looking really good so far keep up the great work

cdogg keep up nice build !  I agree with Vivian Galad - better try to use wood instead of castings - it's not so difficult but dramatically improves the overall look of the model. On my Scottie I used self-made wallnut columns and racks ( after honest attempt to use kit-supplied parts has failed ) and I plan to make wooden belaying pins as well. 

Best Regards!

Dmitriy

Thanks Dmitry, I got the idea from you actually in your earlier post, I really do not like the metal,parts with the kit.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

• 1 month later...

Finally back from a month off, moved to a new house and got the new shipyard constructed.

Been hacking away at the first layer of planking, here is my latest picture as of last night

post-5087-0-83828900-1394473408_thumb.jpg

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hi, just plugged in to your build. This was the first boat I made. Enjoyed it a lot though my planking was complete rubbish as I had no idea what I was doing!! Still don't come to that. However I did bottle out when it came to the sails and just rigged it. Still made a fairly handsome model and I was very pleased for a first attempt. I am trying to build the Bounty now and I can't remember how tricky the Scotland was. They do say you forget pain eventually!!!! Anyway, good luck and I will keep watching.

All the best,

Mike.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

thanks Mike

The planking method described by Corel works but it is very basic and leads to a lot of additional sanding I found out!

I stopped about halfway and finished using a suggested method and it seems to have really taken a nice shape.  I am starting the 2nd layer this week, not too worried as I think I am going to paint it as it is on the box.  That will allow for some freedom, but it kind of feels odd painting over two layers of planking.

I cannot wait to get to the deck details, that is always my favorite part!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I painted mine as per the box as well, it covered a multitude if sins but seemed a bit of a shame after the planking headache - twice! I think the deck bits are best as well.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

• 3 weeks later...

Well, back again after a medical set back.  Just so everyone knows, having your appendix removed is not fun!!!

I got the first layer of planking on, not the greatest job but the shape is good for the second layer, just a few more sanding sessions and the walnut strips are ready to go!

post-5087-0-88230600-1396362051_thumb.jpg

post-5087-0-41043900-1396362070_thumb.jpg

I have some major ground to make up as I am behind my schedule for this wonderful ship.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hi there, nice to see how you are getting along. Your first planking doesn't look too bad to me. She is an awkward little boat, the first one I tried and I didn't have a clue about planking. Still don't to be honest. She is a bulbous beasty as is the Bounty I am trying to do now but will make up into a smashing little model. I have to confess I didn't try to do the sails but did do all the rigging. Anyway enough of my blether. Good luck to you and having had peritonitis a couple of years ago you have my sympathies so I hope you get back to good health quickly.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Thanks Mike.  I am thinking about furled sails for the ship.  I don't want to hide my 1000+ hours of rigging! :)

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Casey, nice progress though.

as for the removal of the appendix, I had mine removed back in late 90's. Same day as I came I decided to watch a movie.

The movie I got was the Brittish "The Full Monty", bad choice as the movie is hilarious and laughing made the aching worse.

Stay away from laughing in the closest future, and coughing, sneezing as well.

Hope to see you back on your feet soon, get well. :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, How are you getting along, both health and boat wise?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Looks good Casey, good to see you back on your feet ( and back to building )

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Pete.  Finally getting this ship building "going full sails".  Just started the second layer of planking.

The kit came up short with a couple of 2x2mm walnut strips for the hull so I am waiting for the mail to bring them to me.

So, here is where I was at last night.  Bending that walnut strip like that without breaking was a pain in the a**!!!

post-5087-0-86013800-1401133049_thumb.jpg

Edited by cdogg

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Thanks Eamonn, I ordered the wood from Cornwall Boats, they told me anywhere from 5 to 30 days to receive it here in the states!  Today is day 11.

Good thing I just started another build, I am building the Constructo Boston Lighthouse to go my computer desk.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Would love to see some photos of the Lighthouse Casey, oh and even here in Ireland right next door to Cornwall Model Boats I have had two weeks or more waiting time !!    it would appear that they sometimes take orders without actually having the stock in place (even though 'In Stock' may be indicated on the Web Site)  Worry not though it always arrived eventually .. ^_^

Stay Well

Eamonn

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, I finally took on the 2nd layer of planking. I thought I knew what was doing but I ran into some issues trying too hard following the directions in the kit. I will post some pics tomorrow. I figure by this weekend ill be ready to paint the hull. Cant wait!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

• 1 month later...