What is the best thread/rope to use on a plastic ship or any ship?

Kimberley

The new ship I just started did not even come with thread, but I have not had any luck with the cheap threads that have been included with my other ships.

What do you guys suggest as a good brand of thread to use?  What should the texture be like?  Also, where can I find it?  I am trying so hard to learn how to make tight lines.  That has been my biggest challenge.

I am now doing the Elmer's glue trick on my thread.  I just can't seem to get the knots tight nor my lines tight.  I would really appreciate if anyone could post some close up pictures of their knots and lines.  Not the fancy ones, but the simple ones.

Thanks, Kimberley

I am sure you will get lots of suggestions to these questions. Here is one:

If your knots are slipping you are probably using a synthetic thread such as nylon. Try cotton.

As to what is the best . . . .

Geoff, in his discussion, goes into a lot of detail, but have a look at:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/945-constitution-by-geoff-176-scale-ms-2040/page-6

If you happen to be close to a Joann's Fabric shop, you will find lots of goodies.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hello Kimberley,

If you are rigging a plastic ship, I highly recommend a product called EZ Line, made by a company called Berkshire Junction.  You can read about it here: http://www.berkshirejunction.com/ezline.html  It can stretch to several times it's static length, which is perfect for a plastic ship, since, plastic masts will deform over time when they are under tension.  I buy mine from freetimehobbies.com, but I am sure you could find other sources.

I am just beginning to rig another plastic ship, which you can see in the pictures below.  On the second picture, you can see even if something gets caught in the rigging, it will not damage your ship. 

post-1453-0-70351700-1384467101_thumb.jpg

post-1453-0-37515200-1384467115_thumb.jpg

post-1453-0-59362000-1384467127_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much.  I think I will try both tips.  I really like the EZ Line since it is specifically made for models.  Jason do you only use black on your ships?  I am confused why my other ships have me do the sail rigging in a light color and other things in black.  Why don't they just do all the lines in one color?  Is it because the sails are light colored and you want the thread to blend in with them?

Kimberly

Two different colors of thread on the models because there are two different kinds of rigging.

"Standing" rigging is used to do things like hold the masts in place.  Since the masts don't generally move once they are set up, the ropes that holds them in place was "painted" with a tar-like mixture to help preserve them from the elements.  Water and salt can do quite a number on rope. 

"Running" rigging is used to move the sails to take advantage of the direction the wind is blowing from.  Since this rope has to be able to move, it wasn't treated with the preservative (which would gum up the blocks and make a general mess) so this rope appears in its natural color on the ship.

Hope this helps, and a belated welcome to MSW.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Kimberley,

It comes in the following colors,

• black
  • white
  • "old copper"
  • charcoal
  • rust
  • "rope"

And in two diameters, 

• fine
  • heavy

As far as the different colors of rigging, exactly what Bob said!  Below, you can see fine diameter EZ line next to natural color .012" diameter thread used on a wooden model.  On the pictures that I posted earlier, you may notice that one of the lines looks thicker than the others.  This thicker line is just two or three strands placed together.  On a sailing vessel, I am not sure I would use EZ line for the running rigging, but it is a great choice for the standing rigging.

post-1453-0-29806900-1384623821_thumb.jpg

post-1453-0-68159100-1384623827_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kimberely,

I also use fly tying thread, it comes in various diameters including very small. However it also comes in flat threads, so make sure you buy the round threads. Larger lines for sailing ships I make my own on my rope walk, Morope makes excellent rope for this. A lot of lines will sag due to humidity and natural stretching. What I do is soak my lines in water, then let them hang with a weight tied to them ( I give them a couple of days). This will take the stretchiness (is this a word?) out of them. Run the lines through a cake of beeswax and melt it into the line. Some people use the friction of their fingers rubbing the line to do this, or run it close to a 100 watt light bulb. I don't recommend a candle because it is too easy to burn the line. The beeswax will also eliminate any fuzzies.

Ron W.

Edited by bushman32

Ron W.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry, but I am confused on the standing and running lines.  I know that shrouds and ratlines are done in dark colors.  So standing lines are what holds the masts in place.  Does that include the lines that run from the top of one mast to another mast?  Should the running lines only be the lines that are associated with the sails?  I wish I could find a diagram of a ship that shows what each thing is on the ship.  I am discovering this is really tough for someone who does not know a thing about ships, but I am truly trying to learn.

Also, what do you mean by using 2 strands?  Do you literally just put 2 strands together side by side and use them as a line?

I don't know about using 2 strands or such, but you pretty much have it correct. The permanent ropes that hold the masts, including between two masts are generally referred to as "Standing Rigging" and the ropes used to attach and adjust sails is "Running Rigging".

The various sizes are dependant upon the amount of load the rope must be able to handle.

Example1: The main sail halyard rope will be quite a bit larger than the flag halyard rope, which is just used to haul up a flag.

Example2: The shrouds are the heavy permanent ropes that support the masts side-to-side, while the ratlines are smaller ropes tied between the shrouds to form a rope ladder for the crew to climb, since they only need to support the weight of a person climbing.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

Hello Kim. As Ken said.

The other type of standing rigging are the "Stays" These are rather heavy lines that go parallel to the sip's length and go from mast to mast, usually from the upper part of a mast to a lower portion of the mast in front. These usually had a "mouse built in them that went through an eye to prevent the line from "choking" against the mast. (See photos) In general: lines that move or run are running rigging, and lines that only hold, are standing. Hope this helps.

post-975-0-52971100-1386194239_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-44855500-1386194257_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Kimberely,

There is running rigging attached to the yards as well. They are used to move the yards from side to side and raise and lower the yards. If the line goes through a block, it is running rigging. There are alot of good books that descibes rigging. When I get a chance I will post a list of my references. You can also download some of  David Steel's works on rigging for free. If you don't know who Steel is, he published several works on ship construction in the late 18th and early 19th century, so his work covers this time period. If you want mid 18th century the look for Mungo Murray. These guys lived during these time periods, so there work is first hand knowledge. They were wriiten in the English of the time so it does take a little getting used too.

Ron W.

Ron W.

A reasonably good tutorial on rigging if in zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models. Depending on period and country, it's not accurate but it does give a pretty good overview.  As I recall, the masting and rigging section is online somewhere.

The book, while basic and general, is a must-have for many of us as it has terms and explanations of all parts of a sailing ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)