Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Planking Tutorials

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

PAnderson

PAnderson
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCresskil, New Jersey

Nice discussion. I did find a tutorial by Frank here at Scribd. You can download if you join.

http://www.scribd.co...DRAFT-r6#scribd

Paul

• Seventynet likes this

tkay11

tkay11
  • Members
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationKentish Town, London, UK

And one at http://shipmodeling....articles34.html

Tony

• Seventynet likes this

===
First build: Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne 1763 FINISHED

2nd and current build: Triton cross-section

Seventynet

Seventynet
  • Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Thanks both. Paul, it looks like a paid membership is the only way to download the document although it seems it can be readily reviewed online and Tony I am not sure where the article is buried in the rest. In either case as I had mentioned, I printed the article when it was available with NRG. I suppose it must be a copyrighted article now. Nevertheless both links are valuable references.

Ian

• mtaylor and Canute like this
Builds in progress - HMS Victory - by Caldercraft - Brazzera - by MarisStella
Builds completed - Cape Cod Catboat - by Bluejacket - Gokstad - by Dusek - Ship's Boat - by Dusek
<p>
Build to start next - Revenue Cutter Cheerful - by Syren Ship Model Company

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,772 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

Ha! Rick: probably the reason that kit manufacturers don't describe how to properly plank hulls is that they don't know how to do it themselves!

• mtaylor, Boatsinc2000, Q A's Revenge and 1 other like this

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,491 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA
I do have the one by jacknastyface, and will repost as soon as I get a few minutes.
  • mtaylor, donfarr, Jack12477 and 1 other like this

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,491 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA

Mark, if you are monitoring this thread, I am looking for a link that used to work (because I downloaded a paper copy several months ago, but would like to refer it to someone) - which I believe you posted on some other thread (http://modelshipworl...jack-nastyface/) - but it doesn't seem to work anymore. The article was called "planking a hull - a tutorial", by Keith Harris (jack nastyface). Searching the site doesn't seem to get me any further. I found it to be an excellent article on spiling. Apologies if I am overlooking something.

Ian

I have reposted the tutorial at the following link on MSW:

http://modelshipworl...yface/?p=367116

It was created in partnership with Keith, and used by permission.

• mtaylor, donfarr, thibaultron and 2 others like this

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Seventynet

Seventynet
  • Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalgary
Thank you Wayne, much appreciated!
Ian
  • mtaylor, Jack12477 and Canute like this
Builds in progress - HMS Victory - by Caldercraft - Brazzera - by MarisStella
Builds completed - Cape Cod Catboat - by Bluejacket - Gokstad - by Dusek - Ship's Boat - by Dusek
<p>
Build to start next - Revenue Cutter Cheerful - by Syren Ship Model Company

milosmail

milosmail
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I am looking for recommendations for completing my planking process. I have planked the hull of my Niagra (successfully, whew, first POB), and I have been sanding for a smooth finished surface. But, there still remain small cracks between planks in many places, usually caused by the slight irregularities in the manufacture of the wood. I plan to paint the hull, but I need to seal these first. I have tried diluted DAP Plastic Wood, but it is to coarse to do a good job. 

What do the experts recommend for this job. There must be some simple way, some commonly available wood filler which works best on cracks. So, how do I best repair gaps in seams?

Thanks in advance...

Edited by milosmail, 15 November 2016 - 03:39 AM.

• mtaylor, thibaultron and Canute like this

Steve Brock

San Jose, CA

RussR

RussR
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMuskogee, Oklahoma

I am no expert but, what works for me is a product by 3M "wood filler". I got it at Lowes home improvement. It is sandable and stainable. It comes in different sizes. I would recomend the larger size because the smaller size only has 1.3oz. and the next size up has 4.0oz, (over 3 times as much as the small size) for about twice as much price.

Link:

https://www.lowes.co...nable/999926292

076308727598.jpg

Russ

• mtaylor, donfarr, thibaultron and 2 others like this

"All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum

tlevine

tlevine
  • Moderators
  • 859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Since you are planning on painting the hull you have several options.  You can use an epoxy crack filler (like Bondo).  You can use a wood filler.  I have never used DAP but have had good luck with the Elmer's product line.  It is going to be coarser than wood unless you keep using finer sandpaper to smooth it over.  Typically I will sand down to 400 grit.  Finally, you can make a paste of sawdust and dilute white glue and use it like Spackle to fill in the cracks.

For your next model consider slightly tapering the plank edge to compensate for the convexity of the hull.  That elimates a lot of those unsightly gaps.  As they say...been there, done that.

• mtaylor, dvm27, donfarr and 4 others like this

Toni

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Current Build:  HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale

Completed Build: Longboat by tlevine - 1:48 scale
Gallery:  Hannah http://modelshipworl...bum/186-hannah/

milosmail

milosmail
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Thanks guys, I will do a bit of experimenting.

Steve Brock

San Jose, CA

twintrow

twintrow
  • Members
  • 579 posts
  • LocationSun City Arizona

Here is the Jack Nastyface tutorial.

Tom

Sorry I hadn't noticed it had already been posted.

Attached Files

Edited by twintrow, 17 November 2016 - 07:35 PM.

milosmail

milosmail
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

3M woodfiller seems to work the best for me, as I can force it into small cracks with my finger. Bondo would leave a smooth surface, with no detail. I would like to leave a hint of planking after hull is sprayed. 

By the way, DAP dries too fast to manipulate, even when diluted with acetone. 

Yes, I did bevel planks where the frames turned sharply, but irregularities in planking stock have caused the bulk of the problems. This kit is 20 years old, and perhaps newer ones have higher quality machined planks. I can see why some of you make your own planks as a result.

On to finishing some details on the hull, priming, and then set it aside for a while to work on deck and ships boats. 

I thought I would try making the deck in a similar fashion referenced elsewhere. I will make a template, cut out a piece of 1/64 birch for a substrate, cut out the nibbling strakes, make sure fit is good, and then plank that. At least that is the plan.  :P

Steve Brock

San Jose, CA

Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil
  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Canada

Between Dirk De Bakker & Greg Brooker piece and Chuck Passaro's seminal "planning" system, a true treasure trove of info.

There is one piece I dont think is covered, or it if is it didn't click with me, but what are the methods, wisdoms, or guidelines as far as deciding where to stop the garbord? There are plenty of warnings about not putting it too far forward, but how does one figure out exactly where it should end at the stem/bow?

Edited by Sunsanvil, 15 December 2016 - 04:24 PM.

• mtaylor, donfarr and Canute like this

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,229 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

The easiest way is to lay the garboard into position, and then lay the next plank such that it runs well forward of the garboard (don't glue any planks yet).  Then draw a line using the second (top) plank as a guide on the garboard.  The garboard should end just as the stem starts curving upward.

• WackoWolf and Canute like this

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

davec

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.