Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The "What have you done today?" thread.

• Please log in to reply
3083 replies to this topic

Nirvana

Nirvana
  • Members
  • 1,819 posts
  • LocationConnell, WA

Per, yes back in the day, I remember when playing with playing with Lego involved dumping a big box on the floor with all the random bits and pieces and no instruction manuals other than the ones that you made up in your head! Ah the good old days.

I had several big bins of Lego back in the early 70'stages, drove my parents crazy. Won a local hobby store Lego competition with a 26 inch model of Queen Elizabeth - not to scale. But great fun!
  • mtaylor, dgbot, Omega1234 and 5 others like this

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per

Ship modeling is a long lesson in patience - Me

It's better to get something done later than never

Denial is futile, MSW is here to stay.

Therapy for Shipaholics

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden

Current: America by Constructo, Harley almost a Harvey , 18th Century Longboat, Solö Ruff

National Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

thibaultron

thibaultron
  • Members
  • 575 posts
  • LocationWarrenville, SC

I saw an ad on Facebook, for a system of large Lego like blocks used to build interior home partitions and room walls.

• mtaylor, Omega1234, Canute and 1 other like this

Nirvana

Nirvana
  • Members
  • 1,819 posts
  • LocationConnell, WA

I saw an ad on Facebook, for a system of large Lego like blocks used to build interior home partitions and room walls.

I saw that ad on TV the other day. My next workshop! ;)
  • mtaylor, Omega1234, thibaultron and 3 others like this

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per

Ship modeling is a long lesson in patience - Me

It's better to get something done later than never

Denial is futile, MSW is here to stay.

Therapy for Shipaholics

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden

Current: America by Constructo, Harley almost a Harvey , 18th Century Longboat, Solö Ruff

National Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

probablynot

probablynot

Supercargo's clerk

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationPembrokeshire [Wales, UK]

I had several big bins of Lego back in the early 70'stages, drove my parents crazy. Won a local hobby store Lego competition with a 26 inch model of Queen Elizabeth - not to scale. But great fun!

At 26 inches, Dr Per, your model of Queen Elizabeth must have been rather more detailed than this one!

• cog, mtaylor, Omega1234 and 2 others like this

Brian

Current project: - Constructo "Silhouet" 1893 (Dutch barge) http://modelshipworl...constructo-160/

Some previous builds - HMS Bounty Launch [Model Shipways kit] http://modelshipworl...s-116-smallish/

Corel's Half Moon (lightly 'bashed')  http://modelshipworl...scale-150-wood/

A 1:12 scratch-build of 'Anastasia', my old sailing kayak from back in the 1940s. http://modelshipworl...by-probablynot-a-18-re-build-of-my-1949-kayak/

Next project: - I'm thinking.   Might be Victory Models' HMS Fly.  A pretty ship - miles of rigging ...

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts
  • LocationOakdale, California

Yeah, they would have  had little noses

• probablynot, mtaylor, Omega1234 and 2 others like this
Current Build: Rattlesnake 1:64 privateer from Mamoli. 20 guns, 1781
On hold: Niagara. U.S Brig, War of 1812, Model Shipways / 1:64 (Until I get some rigging experience) First build. Yep. Bit off a chunk a chew.

Waiting its turn:
C.S.S. Alabama, Steam and Sail Sloop of war, 1862: Mamoli / 1:120

Brian

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - A saying on a hat my Dad wore.

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Is sequoia or redwood wood any good for model boatbuilding?   (or for anything, come to think of it?)

Yes, They're good for awe. For those who seek to aspire. Period.

You have an interesting sense of humor. I'm sure.

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind, 14 January 2017 - 09:05 AM.

• probablynot, mtaylor, Omega1234 and 2 others like this
On hold: Niagara. U.S Brig, War of 1812, Model Shipways / 1:64 (Until I get some rigging experience) First build. Yep. Bit off a chunk a chew.

Waiting its turn:

Brian

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - A saying on a hat my Dad wore.

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

Is sequoia or redwood wood any good for model boatbuilding?   (or for anything, come to think of it?)

Yes, Redwood was heavily logged from the 1850s; by the 1960s almost 90% of the original Redwood stands were gone. Congress and others passed laws to protect them from further loss but they are still harvested today. Do a Google search on "Redwood Harvesting" and "Redwood National Park" for more history.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, JustBlowinInTheWind and 3 others like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

reklein

reklein
  • Members
  • 545 posts
  • LocationLewiston Idaho

Redwood is still a valid building material specially for decks and fences. It is commercially forested and is readily available. Its is a beautiful color and rot resistant although somewhat soft. Its wonderful to carve as the grain is not so heavy, but is somewhat brittle.

The very large trees are somewhat scarce and are protected as was the drive through tree. As for the drive through tree keep in mind it was tunneled thru over a hundred years ago attesting to its rot resistance.

• mtaylor, src, thibaultron and 5 others like this

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

I built my deck from redwood. You can't get treated wood here.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 2 others like this

Waiting its turn:

Brian

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Come to think of it, I have several redwoods in my landscaping. They're a smaller breed that doesn't get more than 100'

Waiting its turn:

Brian

Jack12477

Jack12477

Hard water sailor

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationSaugerties, Mid-Hudson Valley/Catskill Region, NY

There's a California Redwood growing in someone's yard in Mystic CT across the water from the Seaport Museum. It was pointed out to me by a Mystic resident while I was taking a sightseeing walking tour of the village. Seems the property owner imported it from California decades ago and it is now impressively tall. Seems the growing climate in Mystic is favorable for the tree.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, JustBlowinInTheWind and 3 others like this

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"
---------------------------------------------

Current build: MS Willie L Bennett
Completed build log(s): MS 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
Gallery: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch , 18th Century Longboat , AL Marie Jeanne
In dry-dock: AL 1798 US Constellation,  MS Picket Boat,  Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Other: 1912 Hudson River Ice Yacht Manhasset - RESTORATION - Scale = Full Size, Relief Carving for Model Ships

thibaultron

thibaultron
  • Members
  • 575 posts

*Two months ago I setup my shop computer with Windows 7 (I have a piece of hardware that does not work with W 10). I tried to update it several times, leaving it on for 2 or 3 days, no luck. Thursday, it suddenly told me I had ~250 updates needed (~1.5 GB, yes GB), then loaded and installed them.

I love computers!

• mtaylor, Canute, donrobinson and 3 others like this

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationGelderland, Netherlands

Ron,

It might have been 1.5Gb total for all the updates, but it certainly won't be 1.5Gb as part of it will be updates on updates :(

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Dolphyn [Corel] 1:68, Higaki Kaisen [Woody Joe] 1:72
Kit Plastic

IJN Musashi [Tamiya] 1:350

Finished builds

Scratch: Sea Witch 1:109

probablynot

probablynot

Supercargo's clerk

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationPembrokeshire [Wales, UK]

*Two months ago I setup my shop computer with Windows 7 (I have a piece of hardware that does not work with W 10). I tried to update it several times, leaving it on for 2 or 3 days, no luck. Thursday, it suddenly told me I had ~250 updates needed (~1.5 GB, yes GB), then loaded and installed them.

I love computers!

Me, I still think Windows 3 was the most useful one that Mr Gates came up with. It didn't interfere with MS-DOS and everything I'd previously installed still worked ...

Edited by probablynot, 15 January 2017 - 12:03 AM.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, JustBlowinInTheWind and 2 others like this

Brian

Current project: - Constructo "Silhouet" 1893 (Dutch barge) http://modelshipworl...constructo-160/

Some previous builds - HMS Bounty Launch [Model Shipways kit] http://modelshipworl...s-116-smallish/

Corel's Half Moon (lightly 'bashed')  http://modelshipworl...scale-150-wood/

A 1:12 scratch-build of 'Anastasia', my old sailing kayak from back in the 1940s. http://modelshipworl...by-probablynot-a-18-re-build-of-my-1949-kayak/

Next project: - I'm thinking.   Might be Victory Models' HMS Fly.  A pretty ship - miles of rigging ...

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Yeah, like Leisure Suite Larry.

• probablynot, mtaylor, thibaultron and 2 others like this

Waiting its turn:

Brian

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

As long as the tree gets plenty of water and sun, I image a redwood would grow well... Ours are modified to handle dry conditions.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, Canute and 1 other like this

Waiting its turn:

Brian

daddyrabbit1954

daddyrabbit1954
  • Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

I love computers!

Maybe I gave up too soon on Windows 7 updates. Mine would not capture any updates whatsoever, but just stayed in a "spin cycle" until I restarted the computer. I did a lot of reading on the problem and it seems the problem began or at least intensified after the free Windows 10 upgrade offer ended in or around July 2016.  

I gave up and installed Windows 10. Everything is working fine now. It just takes some getting used to the look and feel of it. I liked Windows 7 and only upgraded because I felt forced to do so. It's actually a huge hassle to reload programs and drivers and such. Almost blew a gasket trying to get my email tied back to Outlook once again.

• mtaylor, thibaultron, JustBlowinInTheWind and 2 others like this

thibaultron

thibaultron
  • Members
  • 575 posts

Oh, there were more updates after the big one, but not as large. Took about 2 days on and off. I just let it run and checked on it from time to time. At least it is happy now.

• mtaylor, Canute and donrobinson like this

JustBlowinInTheWind

JustBlowinInTheWind
  • Members
  • 513 posts

Stardock.com has an app that will make you're Windows 10 look and act like Windows 7. Start10. CHEAP!

• mtaylor, thibaultron and Canute like this

Waiting its turn:

Brian

cog

cog
  • Members
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationGelderland, Netherlands

I've had the same problem with my W7. I persevered, and got past it, although updates still take a long time. I have the distinct impression Micro$oft is trying to force people to W10. In that way they can control your hardware even more - maybe even your behaviour, and data ... most people can't see what is happening under the hood ...

An app to have it look like W7 for it will not act like W7, it still is W10 !!!

P.s. If you  keep on having trouble getting your updates, you could try and clear your Windows Update cache

Edited by cog, 15 January 2017 - 03:43 PM.

• mtaylor, Omega1234, thibaultron and 3 others like this

Carl

Builds
Kit Wood
Dolphyn [Corel] 1:68, Higaki Kaisen [Woody Joe] 1:72
Kit Plastic

IJN Musashi [Tamiya] 1:350

Finished builds

Scratch: Sea Witch 1:109

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.