Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Dee_Dee - FINISHED - Scratch Build based on Chapelles book "American Small Sailing Craft" + 1 Part from Midwest Products - 1:24 - Small

Keith

Paper is definitely more flexible than veneer.  Do you have any cherry you can make shavings from?  A shaving is already curled making it easier to wrap.  I like the results using the under layers of white birch bark, that can be stained to get desired color.  Below I have included a close up photo of various materials.      

Bob

Eventually you will get to this point - And your hull looks magnificent!  

Jesse

Ditto! Learning something new is priceless!

Eamonn

Yes, a £5 note is a bit expensive to use for mast hoops.  There are other papers that will provide excellent results.  The white mast hoop was made from high rag content stationary.  The paper is a bit thicker, so I 'flexed' the paper before using and it looks good.  You should be able to purchase various papers from an art supply store or a printer that specialized in invitations.     

Here's a few more close ups:  From left to right, dollar bill, inner layers of birch bark (this one is 1.1mm thick) and the white one is high rag content stationary.  On the side view you can see the three layers of the birch bark.

post-206-0-78693700-1398474633_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-26332200-1398474644_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-73771800-1398474653_thumb.jpg

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

I need to order some cleats to finish the rigging.  It will be a while before I order the new cleats, so before I start my next build and while my thoughts are still fresh, I thought I would do my wrap up post.   

From the beginning of this build, I took Remco's signature line to heart:.  Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime

My goal with this build, was to build a MBLS as it looked and functioned back in the day. So it all started with research, digging for information and reading lots of build lots.  The scratch build logs are great for problem solving and the kit build logs help with everything.  My copy of Chapelle's book has taken a serious beating!  The spine is broken open to the MBLS chapter and the pages are covered with penciled in notes.  I read lots of build logs.  And I found a few good websites.  Did I mention I read lots of build logs?   

When I started this build, I made a list of all the changes I wanted to make.  I posted this list in the opening build and have been updating it as my build progressed.  Having built this kit before, helped to develop this plan and a skill I can take forward to future builds.  As for plans:  A plan is not etched in stone and it's OK to add / delete items and OK to step back and put a build on hold.   

I learned a lot about problem solving:  The biggest problem that had to solved was also the most critical part to the entire build, the false keel.  It had to be right, as over half of the changes I was planning to make depended on it being right.  The hatch opening!  On the third try, I finally figured it out and I'm over the moon with how it turned out!  I built five prototypes for the cockpit floor boards, until I figured out the height of the cockpit keel needed to be reduced. But when it came to the cockpit combings, I nearly tossed the build out the window, but I took a deep breath.  Then, there was the cabin keel and the mast step.  Also, the hull planking, every plank, (not to mention the walnut that was only 3/32" thick.)  Also, the fish well openings, hanging the rudder on the keel, deck planking and I had all my fingers and toes crossed when fitting the cutwater - it was a near perfect fit.

I had one major failure and there is nothing I can do about it, because it goes all the way back to the very beginning.  I didn't have the right size of chain to operate the centerboard, so I used a length of silk cord.  The centerboard still works perfectly, but not sure how long the silk cord will hold up.  What really irks me is I knew I should have used chain.  And THAT's why I am waiting for the proper sized cleats to finish off!    

My favorite part was the very first part:  The sandwiched false keel.  It turned out better than I had planned. 

The part I sweated the most:  Adding the cutwater.  On the sandwich keel, I should have made a rabbit to land the planking.  With a big sigh of relief, the cutwater fits snugly. 

I have a long list of changes I would make if I was to build this boat again. but most of them are minor and will be easy to do on my next build. 

I had fun with this build and have enjoyed sharing it with you.  

post-206-0-70225100-1398474810_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-65726800-1398474822_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-34274500-1398474836_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-74393500-1398474856_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-81570200-1398474993_thumb.jpg

I have seven kits on the shelf and I really want to dive into build a few of them.  But I know I don't have the skills (nor tools) needed to achieve the results I want.  I have great respect for this craft and I will go slowly and learn.      

All my modeling tools will fit inside of a shoe box with room enough for the shoes. I need to add saws, miter box, chopper, sanding and a Dremel is at the top of the list.  

Uhmm, what's on the shelf and what am I going to build next........

The Glad Tidings, Emma C. Berry and Corel Dragon will stay on the shelf.  I need to learn a bit more before building these and I need a few more tools. 

AL Swift:  The quality of the wood and fittings is not the best and needs to be replaced.  So I'm thinking I'll morph this into something like the Rouse Simmons, AKA, the Christmas Tree Schooner. 

Mamoli Gretel, I'll build this one in the near future, but there are a lot of angles on this boat, so I need some cutting and sanding tools. 

The MS Longboat:  I learned in this build that single planking is a challenge. My plan is to build without rigging and build as a side build. 

The Winner Is:  The Corel Sloop, a Brittany, France oyster smack.  There is a lot of online information for this working boat and a great opportunity to add lots of detail, including that sliding or pivoting bow sprit. 

When I finally get the cleats, I'll post some final photos. 

Thanks for following and I'll see you in my next build!   

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Dee, very nice work, looking around at companionways on real sail boats and then seeing how you did yours on this boat, it's exactly the effect I kind of had in mind.  Wondering If I'm going to have to cut into the cabin to get a nice recessed look.  Little nervous about doing that. 

Dee Dee,   Couple questions,  What kind of wood did you use for the companionway slide cover?   Could you give me more detail on how you constructed the rudder?  I love the planking on the rudder, I've seen that in actual builds in the Sharpie book.  Your build really inspires me to slow down my build of the Sharpie and step up the details.   I'm very impressed. 

Josh

Josh

You just had what I call the 'Ahhhhhhhhh moment.'  When you slow down and start adding the details. I could easily build one of these boats in a week or so, but adding details gives my build the personality I'm looking for.          

On this build, I used basswood for the decking and two species of walnut. The slide cover is made of walnut.

Since you are painting your Sharpie deck furniture, there should be no need to cut into the cabin.  You can do an 'eye trick' to achieve the same detail.

Here's a simple top view diagram how I did my companionway:

post-206-0-07035900-1398538634_thumb.jpg

You should be able to get similar results using something like this.  The double black line is the outline for the cover.   Notice the exterior door framing is made from two pieces of wood.  

Instead of placing the door directly on the decking, add a 'step' that was used to keep water out of the cabin.  You will need to do some tweaking on it so the cover covers the door.  Try making some mockups in card stock.    

post-206-0-10891400-1398538678_thumb.jpg

Here are some photos on how I made the keel hung rudder.  I was planning on doing this on my first build, but couldn't figure out the details, specifically how to install the rudder once I added the block on the bottom of the keel.  On my second build, I figured it out and added this detail.  Since the rudder was fully operating, the block was pinned for strength.  One of the reasons for a keel hung rudder is it reduces the chance of a net or lines getting caught / snagged if they drift under the boat.     

First Build

931249_4864258606551_1526890057_n.jpg

Second Build

post-206-0-21432400-1398538797_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of a rudder from my first build.  It was made from 1/8" x 1/8" basswood strips and a bamboo BBQ skewer as the post.  Take your time to get a nice taper on the trailing edge of the rudder. The rudder was then veneered with 1/64" strips of walnut.    

943162_4864320888108_1580270486_n.jpg

Here's one of those rudders on this build, before it was veneered in walnut.  

482470_10201295424169848_1182896372_n.jp

Finished rudder close up.  You can see the taper with the light reflection. 

post-206-0-73544300-1398538900_thumb.jpg

To add some personality........  Making these crates is a fun exercise.  

post-206-0-83609100-1398539065_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-05925100-1398539077_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps Josh!

Dee Dee

PHOTOS GONE MISSING - BYE BYE PHOTOS!

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Has been a pleasure to follow you along Dee_Dee,  thanks for all the tips and the 'How To's..'

BTW.. Would it be possible to mention on here when you begin your next one.. that way we can all follow it too from the get go ! :rolleyes:

Am looking forward to your next build and to seeing the final shots of MBLS with it's snazzy new cleats !

All The Very Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Well, it was an "Ahhhhhhhh" moment like, Oh my good, so many ideas and do i wish I knew about them prior to my build.  Your kit bashing of the keel blew me away.  It was another moment where I just hadn't considered even trying that and it gave me so much excitement.  I really liked the working companionway ideas but of course, you just added a whole other level of "craziness" to the model.  The appeal to me is that it adds an additional "surprise" to the person your showing your model to that they wouldn't initially see.  I'm not sure how much value I would get out having a working rudder other than the reward of building a true working model.  I have in my future, the desire to build an RC boat, probably a tug or battle ship, where I get to make things working with servos and motors and LIGHTS!.  Doubt I'll do sound, i know some people do, but to me it screams Walmart toy. 

Sharing my excitement and at the same time mild disappointment in not being to consider applying my idea in my current build to my wife, she helped remind me that this is my first wood build and it's not a bad thing to see how certain basic aspects of the build go from the instructions.  To experience the trials and tribulations.  My thoughts that followed were that your alterations were fairly aggressive and agreed with her outsider insight. 

Practice making crates..lol... show off :P    But what an incredibly thorough, clear explanation on the companionways, thank you!    While I'm considering your advice, I am wondering if the fact that I was planning on doing a wood finish for the companionways makes a difference.  Does it?    By the way, I'm posting something in general discussion here in a bit about my trip to the Naval Academy that I hope you'll check out.  Had an amazing day, can't way to tell the forum about it. 

As i finish writing this, I realize that your crates suggestion was probably targeted towards giving me an idea on something to physically work on while I'm researching my next build steps and what a good suggestion it is. 

Josh

very nice progress Dee Dee........are you going to be adding in rigging as well?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• The title was changed to Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Dee_Dee - FINISHED - Scratch Build based on Chapelles book "American Small Sailing Craft" + 1 Part from Midwest Products - 1:24 - Small