Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Kit-Basher's Guide To The Galaxy

Idea Bright Idea New Idea

• Please log in to reply
371 replies to this topic

CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apprentice Wood-Hacker (3rdClass)

• Members
  • 2,544 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Here's mine ...

TOOTHPICKS - Round toothpicks were used as handles for the oars on my USS Constitution's boats (1/76 scale).

These have been sanded down to reduce their size from approx 2mm to 0.8mm. Some scrap stock was used for the oar-blades, cut to size and then grooved to take the handles.

Oars4.JPG

Oars6.JPG

Edited by CaptainSteve, 16 February 2014 - 10:30 AM.

• usedtosail, Marcus Botanicus, ronald305 and 4 others like this

CaptainSteve

Current Build:   USS Constitution (Model Shipways)

My BathTub:     Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)      Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)

HMS Victory (Constructo)

Check It Out:    The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Nenad

Nenad

mess maker

• Members
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationSerbia, Belgrade
FOLDER MECHANISM - PART 1. - Plastic parts of folder mechanism can be thinned and cut to scale and used as white panels on bulwark

folder.jpg

final.jpg

look.jpg

I was looking for something with "hidden" shine reflection, at same time has to be 11x1 mm and very thin (cca 0,5mm) and very small with rounded edges. Testing with veneer was unsuccesful and I didnt like results.

Bulwarks are not finished jet, but you can imagine how it will look

Edited by Nenad M, 19 January 2015 - 07:08 PM.

• CaptainSteve, Marcus Botanicus, Elijah and 2 others like this

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworl...ge-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworl...-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

Ulises,

I think your Vasa build is stunning !!

In particular, I was extremely impressed with the doors made from round toothpicks.

Could you please add those pics (with a quick explanation) here ??

That idea is brilliant !!

(And perfect for this thread !!)

Sure thing! And thanks for your comment!

ROUND TOOTHPICKS AND OLD BUSINESS CARDS : To make wooden doors.

1- Spread glue on a business card or similar object

2-Cover it with round toothpicks and weight until dry

3-Paint with black or dark brown ink or paint, making sure the paint goes all the way down between toothpicks.

4- When paint dries, cut to shape and sand the toothpicks flat, or sand and cut to shape: your choice. The roundness of the toothpicks will allow you to make the line between planks wider or narrower the more or less you sand.

5- Add black cardboard hinges. Use nails to make doorknobs, add handles, etc...

Glad this tip has got many nice comments!

Attached Thumbnails

• Vasa (103).jpg
  • Vasa (104).jpg
  • Vasa (105).jpg
  • Vasa (114).jpg
  • Vasa (116).jpg
  • Vasa (160).jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria, 08 August 2014 - 02:42 PM.

• CaptainSteve, tarbrush, Landlubber Mike and 7 others like this

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

Per

Per
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSweden

ALUMINIUM CANS - Cut strips from a flattened-out can to the scale size of flags for your ship. Using transfers or by painting, add your flag design to both sides of the aluminium flags. Remember to reverse the design on one side.

Crumple the aluminium piece slightly to produce a natural-looking flag that will appear to be permanently flapping in the breeze.

(This idea comes from a fellow USS Constitution builder here on MSW - the eminent modeller12)

Aluminium cut straight from a can is very hard. Annealing the sheet, heating it until a piece of wood leaves a brown streak when drawn across it, leaves aluminium that is soft and pliable and can be easily formed.

Edited by Per, 31 December 2013 - 09:28 AM.

• CaptainSteve, Marcus Botanicus and Ray1981 like this

CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

TWIST-TIES - These versatile strips of plastic-encased wire could have many uses. Here, I have sliced down the tie along the wire length to make the re-inforcing strips at the prows of two of my USS Constitution boats (1/76 scale).

To represent the bolt-heads, simply make a series of very small indentations (with drill or knife), then add a tiny drop of black paint using the sharpened end of a toothpick.

Attached Thumbnails

• 129.JPG
  • 130.JPG
  • Bolts.JPG

Edited by CaptainSteve, 20 January 2014 - 12:53 PM.

• dgbot, Marcus Botanicus, Greg the peg leg sailor and 2 others like this

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:     Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)      Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)

HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ensign

Ensign
  • Members
  • 123 posts

After much searching I have found a source of the correct diamond pattern Hammock Netting for period model ships, I was looking in a store called Spotlight for those in Australia and NZ, not sure if they are in other countries but I'm sure there are similar haberdashery, craft type stores. The material is Mosquito Netting and found in the curtain department, it comes in a range of colors but most importantly cream and black it cost $4.99/Metre, enough for a flotilla. Hope this benefits others.

• CaptainSteve likes this

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

After much searching I have found a source of the correct diamond pattern Hammock Netting for period model ships, I was looking in a store called Spotlight for those in Australia and NZ, not sure if they are in other countries but I'm sure there are similar haberdashery, craft type stores. The material is Mosquito Netting and found in the curtain department, it comes in a range of colors but most importantly cream and black it cost $4.99/Metre, enough for a flotilla. Hope this benefits others.

Can you post a picture of your product? Is it something like in post #19 above? I bought about a 1mt. of this material and have enough for a lifetime.

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

JSGerson

JSGerson
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationAiken, South Carolina

Small Cleats

When building my first wooden model in thirty years, the Evergreen I needed to tie lines to the deck. I was winging it because the kit didn't have any detailed plans for any of the rigging and I knew nothing about rigging. I needed tiny cleats. Somehow I got an idea to use the tiny rail nails used by railroad hobbyist. In cross section a nail is the shape of a T, very similar to a cleat - a very short T.

I filed the edges of the nail head as shown in the diagram below. This gets you the basic shape. You can file the ends to a more pointed shape and add an upward bend to either side. Just drill a hole and insert to the depth required.

Attached Thumbnails

• Evergreen Cleat.jpg
  • Cleat.jpg

Edited by JSGerson, 15 January 2015 - 01:59 PM.

• tkay11, CaptainSteve, md1400cs and 4 others like this

Current Build: Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Past Builds:    Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake
                         Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

Future Build:   Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

DSiemens

DSiemens
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationDenver Co

What a cool thread.  Here's one of my regular items.

Bamboo Skewers.

Bamboo stays very strong at small scale and pulls through a draw plate pretty well.  At my 1:500 - 1:1250 scale it works great for masts and yards.  On a larger scale I think it would do well for oars or harpoons.  

Here's a couple of ships with bamboo masts and yards.  I've thrown in a couple other shots to help show scale.  It may be hard to see but that is an American dime next to the Santa Maria.    

Mercury 087.jpg
_MG_0641.jpg
Santa Maria 063.jpg
Santa Maria 084.jpg

• Janos, CaptainSteve, Landlubber Mike and 8 others like this

DSiemens

DSiemens
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationDenver Co

Match Sticks

They actually carve and sand well bend well with a quick soaking and are very inexpensive.  All of the channels, rails and external ribs on the Santa Maria above and was done with match sticks.  You can also plank a ship with match sticks.  

Cutter 003.jpg
Cutter 028.jpg

• CaptainSteve, Marcus Botanicus, Senior ole salt and 2 others like this

DSiemens

DSiemens
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationDenver Co

Jewelry

Jewelry was already mentioned but here's a fun spin on it.  I made this for one of my early ship in bottle builds.  The ships to ugly to show and this was just rattling around in the bottle so I pulled it out and got a couple shots.  

A treasure chest.

20140116_215517.jpg

20140116_215537.jpg

This was some of my earlier work and it's a bit sloppy.  A better modeler could make the gold chain look more like coins.  

• CaptainSteve, Marcus Botanicus, Senior ole salt and 2 others like this

CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

I'm sure, at the small scale you work in, Daniel, that they looked just fine.

Edited by CaptainSteve, 17 January 2014 - 06:59 AM.

• DSiemens likes this

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)

HMS Victory (Constructo)

Ensign

Ensign
  • Members
  • 123 posts
Ensign, on 03 Jan 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:
Can you post a picture of your product? Is it something like in post #19 above? I bought about a 1mt. of this material and have enough for a lifetime.

Sorry for the late reply Ulises, only just noticed your question. Yes that is the stuff.

Gary
  • CaptainSteve and Greg the peg leg sailor like this

DSiemens

DSiemens
  • Members
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationDenver Co

I'm sure, at the small scale you work in, Daniel, that they looked just fine.

It does look better when your not looking at it through a zoomed in camera lens.  Actually it's bigger then you'd expect.  The scene I created was a ship sailing into shore with treasure on the beach.  The treasure was much bigger then the scale of the ship.  It's probably more to scale with the larger scale models.  Would have made a major haul for the tiny ship I had in the bottle.  I'll have to redo the scene one of these days.  A better ship and a launch rowing into shore would make it much better.    

Belco

Belco
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Cans of soda.

Are soldered easily

cocal-dera.jpg

Belco

• WackoWolf, DSiemens, CaptainSteve and 1 other like this

jud

jud
  • Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationLexington, Oregon

Some good sheet metal work with that cone.

jud

Belco

Belco
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Jewelry (bijouterie)

Construction of lanterns and
ornaments.

Captura.JPG Captura_2.JPG

Belco

• DSiemens, CaptainSteve and Senior ole salt like this

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationAbermain NSW Australia

As well as Daniel's aforementioned masts for small ships, BAMBOO BBQ SKEWERS are also the perfect material for making Treenails. A pack of 100 skewers costs about $2.00 and will make about 80,000 treenails (rough estimate :D ).

Using a sharp Xacto knife, split the skewer lengthways into as many strips as possible - depending on the quality of the bamboo used (which varies between brands and even individual skewers) you can get up to 8 or 9 thin strips. Pull these through a Drawplate until the desired size is reached - 0.024" is perfect at 1:48 scale. Use pliers to pull any stubborn strips through the drawplate - bamboo splinters are almost impossible to get out of your finger :huh:  . Trim the end as needed.

One finished piece should yield about 100 "nails".

:cheers:  Danny

• trippwj, WackoWolf, DSiemens and 7 others like this

____________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds : HMS Vulture Cross-section   

Build Logs : Norfolk Sloop   18 foot Cutter    HMS Vulture Scratchbuilt from TFFM books Index 1   Index 2

18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop, HMAT Supply, HMS Bounty, HMS Victory, Charles W. Morgan 18' Cutter for HMS Vulture HMS Vulture

18th Century Longboat in a Bottle

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

"The measure and merit of an individual is not how they handle themselves in times of prosperity and good will, but how they handle themselves in times of turmoil and chaos"

capnharv2

capnharv2
  • Members
  • 787 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound

I've found that brass eyelets (like on shoes) make great porlight/deadlight frames.

I also use double backed tape on a square of plywood to make a good sanding block. I've used 1/4-1/2" think wood before for sanding blocks, but find they do warp.

When putting beeswax on line, I stretch and drag the waxed line over one of my lights (the shield, not the bulb itself). The heat from the incandesent bulb gets the cover to about 150 deg F, and melts the wax into the line.

To straighten a piece of brass wire, clamp one end in a vise and the other in vice grip pliers. Pull hard for a little bit and the wire will work harden into a straight rod.

Harvey

For a quick sharpen of a chisel or plane, I tape a sheet of 400 or 600 grit sandpaper on a sheet of glass instead of using a sharpening stone. It also works on exacto blades.

• CaptainSteve, Marcus Botanicus, Greg the peg leg sailor and 1 other like this

pompey2

pompey2
  • Members
  • 559 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Hammock netting

This is a great source for netting.

http://www.meshuk.co...t&id=4&parent=8

In the UK but might export?

They offer a large range of materials and sizes.

For instance 'Pet polyester mesh Black

Counts per inch 15 ((1"/15) x scale 72) = 4.8 inch pitch

They also do woven stainles steel wire.

• mtaylor and CaptainSteve like this

Current build USF Confederacy - http://modelshipworl...ways-scale-164/

Previous log - HMS Victory - http://modelshipworl...raft-172/page-1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.