Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - TERMINATED LOG

This ship caught my attention the first time I saw the plans because it had a white flag. Laughed a bit until I researched it. But then the lines caught my eye. She's a 32 gun, frigate of the 8 pound gun class.

A bit of history... built 1755 in Brest. Not too much in the way of history available except for some highlights:

1756 - Carried troops to Quebec.

1757 - with Marsaint's divsion on the 21 Oct. A "most bloody conflict" with the British off Santo Domingo. No ships lost on either side, but a high casualty count.

1762 - expeditions against British shipping and the Sale pirates.

1778 - she was part of a small fleet in company with Le Belle Poule, Hirondelle and Le Coureur. They ran into Keppel's squadron. Licorne as surrounded and captured. La Belle Poule had a famous two-hour duel with the British and escaped to a nearby bay.For the next five years it was known as HMS Licorne  in the British Navy.

1783 - Sold out of the service.

From the plans, it appears to be a good beginner scratchbuild. Clean lines, minimal carving. Some things from the Hahn plans needs changing such as the mast caps and the cannon rigging. I'm still researching via Boudriot and Frolich.

I'm planning on completely planking her, but that may change.

Anyway, I ordered a bunch of Hahn's plans a few years ago out of curiousity... guess I was walking down the primrose path to the minefield and here's where I've landed.

Not knowing what to order in the way of wood.. I guessed and ordered the wood for the Confederacy from The Lumberyard since both are 3/16" scale. Blew it a bit.. keel on the Confed is 1/4", on the Licorne... 3/16", same for the frames.. Luckily, I have a thickness sander... unluckily.. that's a rather large pile of wood. But, I'm happy. I'll make the frames a tad thicker and order some 3/16" sheet for the keel, etc. Next time.. I'll study the plans closer.

So... here's where my build begins. Started by scanning and copying all the plans as blueline prints fade with time. Laid out but not cut the building board. I've enclose pic of what I've built to date: Pics of the Famous Ed Measuring Tool and my frame jig. Pic of some of the framing wood with my thickness sander (daunting in person). And lastly.. a work in progress... my shipwright. Currently looks like Krylon the Cylon, but he'll get better. Once he's finished, I'll properly name him and start building frames.

Due to the website crash, all the descriptive stuff is gone.  I'll post all the pics to-date and then start text, etc. on my next post.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here's the pics to date:

post-76-0-55913700-1360958375_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-02059300-1360958377_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-70203900-1360958383_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-95908500-1360958390_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-88814300-1360958464_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-28808900-1360958567_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-47060200-1360958571_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-41503700-1360958581_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-28108100-1360958632_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-51617600-1360958674_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-88763900-1360958734_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-61056000-1360958747_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-95588200-1360958751_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-83963700-1360958777_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-17393400-1360958779_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-25044600-1360958788_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-67892800-1360958805_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-80567600-1360958807_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-97686600-1360958809_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-46816200-1360958833_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-95371300-1360958835_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-35636500-1360958843_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-89093100-1360958845_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-38037100-1360958847_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-30857000-1360958874_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-89628500-1360958875_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-86698900-1360958878_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-06180000-1360958881_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-05280500-1360958883_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-53459900-1360958884_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry about the length... :rolleyes:   Anyway, at this point, I'm planking the gundeck. 

Mark

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That is a nice set of plans that Harold Hahn drew. After having lost a (paint can got knocked over) set of kayak plans I've always made 1 personal back up set of plans so I have a working copy and a back up set. Normally as I'm having the backup plans made I'll have the plans scanned. This way I don't have to unroll a set of plans and fight them to check a little thing. Just a few ket strokes and it's there.

What wood are you using for your frames?

Good Luck with your build. As they say enjoy the ride.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

42rocker,

I had two sets (one of the old bluelines and one of the new blacklines) from Hahn... I found they weren't the same... <sigh>  The old set had distorted.  So now it's just the newer set that I also scanned in to reprint as needed.  Saved me a ton of grief when I had to redo frames.

Wood... frames, keel, deckbeams are cherry. False keel is some cherry stained with Ebony. Interior planking and gratings are silver maple.  And the furniture, coamings are of pear.  The deck clamps are beech.  I'll also be using plum and swiss pear and for the wales, some walnut probably stained... maybe holly for the figurehead. The jury is out on the staining and the holly.

All the wood, except for the holly is part The Lumberyards Confederacy timbering kit without the plans or laser cut pieces.  Didn't want those. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Augie:   "Stalwart of professional building"????    Huh... who...?  me...?  post-76-0-13905200-1362939190.gif

Andy:  Just look for Sjors.  He always has the popcorn cart. And usually a front row seat.

Just to make the point that I'm not a total slacker (Hi Ben, I took your post to heart)..... here's an update.

First picture is where I am at present.  The lads in the sawpits have been busy cutting the deck planking.  I've been busy fitting and caulking.  :)    About 6 more strakes and then the sander comes out.

post-76-0-90369400-1362939092_thumb.jpg

Special Tools department:  Here's the clamps I made for working with the decking and hull planking.

post-76-0-14671900-1362939095.jpgpost-76-0-10154700-1362939097.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Good to see the deck going in, Mark.  The tools make the job :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice to see the deck planking going in Mark. I can't remember, how do you plan to display her - partially "exposed" or fully planked?

Edited by gjdale

Thanks Augie and Sherry.  I"m cheap.. er.. frugal.  Yeah.. frugal.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  Anyway, they work better than any that I've seen for sale.

Grant, she gets full planking.  Admiralty directive.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice to see things moving here :-)

All the best, Daniel

glad to see your planking the deck.........looks so much better!   I too love the clamps.......they seem to work well.  superb decking!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye and Daniel.

Things will pick a bit for this week... go dead for a week and then should really pick up the following week... I want to get planking done and build some more deck furniture.  Have the capstan, pumps, and a bunch of cannon to do. post-76-0-18217700-1362977836.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

hm...perceived size vs real size...it is not until you toss in a cloth peg (or two) that the viewer realizes how small this build is. Its like John's Stag, no objects of reference any where near until sudden ....great work Mark!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Nice clamps , Mark. I will add these to my tools list

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Coming along very nicely Mark. 

Do you have any issues with glue seeping from the deck to beam joint and 'wooden' clamps?  Hate to see'em stuck there for good mate :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

that's the bonus with getting the deck planked........so much more to play with!   I thought too with what Pat mentioned,  but I suppose with control on the glue amount,  that little problem can pretty much be avoided.   it does look great there,  mark......I have to go look at it again!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for looking in and nice comments guys. 

I only glue the plank to the beam.  I don't edge glue and I use very small drops.  Helps to keep things from bleeding.  I did have one stick.. but the alky took care of that problem. :)

Sjors,

I don't remember where I got that idea.  I've done the "flip the spring in the clothes pin/peg" ever since I did Wasa when I needed to clamp something and I had no clamps.  I think the cutting to hold the planks just came as another solution to a problem.

Håkan,

I guess I forget how small of this stuff really is, also.  1:64 isn't that small when I look at the plans.  It's only when I get my fat fingers in there I wish I had went with a bigger scale. :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks John.  Lady luck exclusively.  I tried wax but the clamps got slippery. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Try a monomolecular layer (that's very little) of petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Try a monomolecular layer (that's very little) of petroleum jelly (aka Vaseline).

For....?????   Not sure what the answer is.. but I'll hold my breath anyway.    If it's for the clamps, won't that impregnate the wood?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Not if you use very little.  Besides, you said you did not edge glue the planks

After a while it will impregnate the wood.....on the clamps!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'll try that.  I've also rubber cemented a bit of sandpaper to the jaws of two of my clamps where I need the clamp not to slip.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

in case the slippage problem occurs......you could always add your sandpaper idea into the mix......you'd have a clamp that won't stick .....and won't budge either  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

in case the slippage problem occurs......you could always add your sandpaper idea into the mix......you'd have a clamp that won't stick .....and won't budge either  ;)

Not a bad idea.  Now if I can just modify the plans to reflect the stuck clamp and pass it off as a piece of 18th Century deck furniture.  Or at the appropriate moment it will fly free and become... wait.. Schrödinger's cat comes to mind.. this is quantum physic's solution you're handing me.  :) 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahoy Mark  :D

I paint my custom wooden shipyard tools with thin CA. Adds some strength and most importantly the PVA glues do not stick to them. For your little "clippies" I would sprinkle some salt on the paws after applying the CA. Once the CA dries, wash away the salt and they will have some teeth.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Mark:

The deck planking is looking good so far. I also have a nice supply of clothes pins, many of them modified to suit any number of purposes. They are invaluable in the shop.

Russ