Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - TERMINATED LOG

........that's a good weeble!  ;)

They wobble but they don't fall down...  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark, I didn't place a like as that is news one cannot like :)  Big decision mate, but probably for the better; a great learning experience none-the-less.  Have you thought of using this as the base for a wreck diorama or similar where trennel counting isn't so important?  Hate to sdee all that effort totally wasted.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat,

It's ok to like it... I'm happy with the decision. 

Current thinking is that I'll line it with plastic and make into a window planter...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

If I would have to face this situation,  I would also think that it is a difficult way to learn. But the desire to build and create is much more stronger.

I tried ounce the the Hahn way with the frigate of 44 guns, I would not try it twice, the main reason being I do not like to work upside down.

Did you know that some 20 or 25 years after  Hahn, a little  genius by the name of David created a method:

- much more enjoyable to build

- much more similar to the real method to build and

- much more easy to build

Mark, you will probably want to go  in the Licorne V2.0. I am not trying to tell you not to go. I just wants to make sure that you are aware that there are easier ways to build  and mainly that you will get plans in a much higher degre of accuracy and details with peoples like David and Ed, and that the better the plans are the better the results are going to be... it is simply mathematic.

Could you please share a link to a David's method? Thanks a lot! :)

I understand you, Marc

My first unsuccessfull try of Cutty with all planking and decks "done", went in trash can with no mercy, when I started over

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

:omg:

So, catching up on the old shipyards out there,  wonderful pictures. liking this..really liking that...then  WHAMMO!!!!

I know I am late to the party (as is usual lately) but WOW!!!   Did not see that coming.

Sorry that it came down to that but boy do I give you some kudos!  I am not sure what I would do if I came to that....  you have gusto sir,  gusto!  

Look forward to part 2!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Could you please share a link to a David's method? Thanks a lot! :)

Have a look at Seawatch Books.  They have his books, the TFFM series.

Alternately,  there's the Swan Class builds going on... Dan Vadas' and Toni Levine's builds come to mind.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Look Gluck with your personal rebuilt, Mark. Oh yes it's a bold descission.

But I think it's the best you could do for yourself. And I copied your "Lessens learned" into my Literature - folder together with the sentence:

"Buying tools cheaply'll bring you to buying it twice."

Yours

Stan

My carpetmonster adapted to laminate flooring!

GK - Modellbau No. 2002 a little boat 680 after E.Paris  - PoF 1/50

AL 18021 Scottish Maid the 1st Aberdeen Clipper 1839 - PoB 1/76 (?) 

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

Hi Mark,

I was a bit busy lately so I only now noticed your decision. A brave one indeed. All the best with 2.0 I'll keep watching from a distance ;-)

Best,

Michiel

Finished models: Botter, President

Current:

Prins Willem by the book of Ketting,

HMS Beagle - OcCre

restauration of a Statenjacht

Hi Mark,

I would agree with Gaetan about considering building version 2 in the Antscherl method, rather than the Hahn method. I used a modified Hahn method on my Bellona before I even knew about Antscherl's method, and if I had it to do over again I would without hesitation build it right side up. Much easier to see what is really going on and adjust, and it is more fun to work on a ship as it would really look, right from the beginning. I spent years looking at an upside down hull, wondering what it would look like when I could finally turn it over. Why delay the gratification? But whatever you are most comfortable with.

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark,

I've considered it as I can use the planking part of the Hahn plan for the baseboard.  I may change my mind but at this point, I'm inclined to do this one the Hahn way and get more familiar with all the processes involved.  With this project, compared to the other Hahn plans I have, there seems to be a fair amount of guesswork involved with things like transoms, quarter gallery and stern and head area construction... the stuff that really isn't included on the plans and needs to be worked out. 

The one part of this method that I do like is the rigidity of everything held in place by the buildboard.  With the way I have my bench set up, in a very few minutes I can flip the ship completely over.

I'm also looking ahead at my next project after this one and I'll be keeping the Antscherl method in mind as to what it would take to do one that way.

Thanks for looking in and for you and Gaetan along with everyone else for giving me some food for thought.  Far better than granola, IMO.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark,

I'm just starting to catch up with MSW and I'm very sorry to hear about your Licorne :(

But, as the others have said, you've made a very brave decision and you won't regret it. 

All the important lessons you've learned with this build will help you create the ultimate Licorne model B)

Wishing you all the best, my friend :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

• 7 years later...

Thank you Papash.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: