Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do I make a "made mast"?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

md1400cs

md1400cs
  • Members
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica CA USA

Hi,

I would like to make a "made mast" for the main mast of my Vasa. I have searched MSW and Google for "how to" put one together that would look period correct, but can't find any advice. I do see many of you add the ropes, and metal bands around the main masts. I would like to add the made look as well. R.C. Anderson explains what they are, but skips over how to properly replicate one.

I do have a Proxxon lathe. (a Clayton Jennings pic is attached). His Vasa is the most accurate ever scratch built. He has received awards from the Vasa museum. 

Any leads or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• Mainyard2_zps685f5e6e•••••.jpg

• thibaultron likes this

Michael

Current build Wasa (Corel)

Under the table:

Santisima Trinidad cross section 1:90th OcCre

Golden Hind - C Mamoli

Completed: Santa Maria - Mantua

http://modelshipworl...r/735-md1400cs/

Member  Nautical Research Guild

riverboat

riverboat
  • Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationRiverside, Calif.

Hi Michael, never heard that term "made mast" , what does that mean?... I'm sure with the talent you have , you'll have no problem doing what ever that entails. :)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

md1400cs

md1400cs
  • Members
  • 1,665 posts

Frank,

A "made mast" as opposed to a "single stick" had to be made up of several (two or three) single trunks. This was done, according to R.C. Anderson, when the builders could not procure tree trunks that had enough girth to result in a large enough main mast. Here is an other pic from Clayton's Vasa.

Anderson suggests that this "detail" be skipped, but my wife tells me that I've become obsessive. So I need to prove her right, because as we know women are always right. As I tell people when they meet her, "This is my 19 year old girlfriend from 40 years ago". still my sweetheart.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will also search the scratch built side, looking for an easy way of replicating this without having to do too much thinking on my part, it being near the end of the year and all (:-)

Cheers,

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• 5 copy.JPG

• riverboat and Ulises Victoria like this

Michael

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

I was going to suggest you ask this question directly to Clayton or Fred Hocker in the VASA Forum, but saw you already did. 

This is interesting enough for me to follow. I may apply this knowledge in my next build... for my Vasa, it's too late. :)

• md1400cs likes this

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

md1400cs

md1400cs
  • Members
  • 1,665 posts

I was going to suggest you ask this question directly to Clayton or Fred Hocker in the VASA Forum, but saw you already did. 

This is interesting enough for me to follow. I may apply this knowledge in my next build... for my Vasa, it's too late. :)

Ulises,

I don't remember you mentioning a name for your next build. Have you chosen a subject?

Michael

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli

popeye2sea

popeye2sea
  • Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Steels, Elements and Practices of Rigging and Seamanship has a detailed description of how made masts are constructed

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! :D

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

michael20

michael20
  • Members
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSouth Prince George,Virginia
There is a article in Ship Modeler's Shop Notes II published by the NRG that details how to make a made mast and the article was written by a man named John M. Bobbitt . I'm sure you can procure the info you are looking for there.

Happy Modeling,
Marty G.

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,764 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

Made masts in Sweden in the early 1600's were very different from Steel's British practice of 1800, Henry.

My suggestion is to study photos of the Vasa's masts to see where the joints appear. The inside construction, being invisible, will be unimportant, as long as the joints are in the correct places on the surface of the mast when you've competed shaping it.

md1400cs

md1400cs
  • Members
  • 1,665 posts

Henry, Marty, and Druxey thanks guys!

Your responses put things into perspective. I will check out the source material as well as making sure that I will be period appropriate. Noted, the inside construction will hide any errors the intent will be to make the main look correct.

Thanks

Michael

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli

NMBROOK

NMBROOK
  • Members
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationYorkshire England

An interesting project Michael.To join the segments together will require the use of a miller more that a lathe.Yes I know you have just acquired one ;) If you look at Jeronimo's build,while this may not be the same as Vasa,it gives you an idea of how the pieces fit together.He doesn't show the manufacture but if you look at the completed work you can see the joints on the end.All pictures I have seen involve some sort of 'keying' between the sections.

Kind Regards Nigel

Project for the summer months-Fairmount Alpine-Billings boats http://modelshipworl...rc-radio/page-1

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

Ulises,

I don't remember you mentioning a name for your next build. Have you chosen a subject?

Michael: Yes. I'ts in the super small print in my signature. :) Most likely I will build the Royal Louis in 1/90 by Mamoli.

Best regards.

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

md1400cs

md1400cs
  • Members
  • 1,665 posts

Michael: Yes. I'ts in the super small print in my signature. :) Most likely I will build the Royal Louis in 1/90 by Mamoli.

Best regards.

Oh yes, now I see it. Hmmm that will be a very challenging and amazing project. Beautiful ship. I will look forward to your new log. I looks as though your Vasa is ready to launch. Be sure to close the lower gun deck doors, and remove some of the weather deck cannons; then is should be ok. (:-)

• trippwj and Ulises Victoria like this

Michael

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli

puckotred

puckotred
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGotheborg, Sweden

Here's a pic of when they made the bowsprit on "Gothenburg"

• riverboat and md1400cs like this

Mr. Pucko

Building: acquired half finished Amphion 1790 - Yacht Reale Sweden by Corel 

And a half built Pegasus by Victory Models

Pinco Genovese by Euromodel Como

And "Section Deck Between Gun Bays"

(if I get the time I'll do a log)

Bohuslän - NCB discontinued

Vasa - DeAgostini - Scale 1:65

riverboat

riverboat
  • Members
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationRiverside, Calif.

Thanks for the info Michael

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

twintrow

twintrow
  • Members
  • 579 posts
  • LocationSun City Arizona

Michael

There is a pretty good pdf article in the "Article Downloads" section here at MSW.  It s called Making a Mast (or Yard) from Square Stock by

Elia Gianopulo.

Look at the top of the page for the download site.

Tom

md1400cs

md1400cs
  • Members
  • 1,665 posts

Tom,

Thanks big time. Great source info. In fact I saved several other excellent files as well. I appreciate your post.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli

garyshipwright

garyshipwright
  • Members
  • 265 posts

Hi Michael. Frolick shows how to make a mast in his book, The Art of Ship Modeling, on page 185. Its a very good book and does give one some insight's in to other items like casting cannons, framing and a whole lot more. Good book for your library.

Gary

md1400cs

md1400cs
  • Members
  • 1,665 posts

Tom,

Thanks, will do

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli

josu

josu
  • Members
  • 3 posts

twintrow wrote about a pdf article wich were in article downloads section about "making a mast......." were is that section in the MSW?

Tanks in advance.

trippwj

trippwj

Scullery Maid

• Members
  • 3,490 posts
  • LocationEastport, Maine, USA

The article can be found here http://modelshipworl...s-and-yards.php

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.