Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Long9Ron - Scale 1:48

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

rummy

rummy
  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationRoberts Wi

Hello Ron.I have been playing with stains for the toothpicks.I had no luck with stains.So I thought that a tree contains a lot of water.Why not use water based dyes.I made up a very strong solution of" TEA".Four tea bags to a small amount of boiling water.I then added the toothpicks and covered them with the tea bags.I let them stand till they sunk to the bottom,water logged.Took about six hours.I reheated the water several times in the microwave.Let dry(add sugar and milk makes a tasty snack :P  :P )I think the wood stores have wood dyes and there is Rit Dyes if you need a darker color.I have not tried these.

Larry

Attached Files

• Long9Ron likes this

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Long9Ron

Long9Ron
  • Members
  • 246 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

Joss, Daniel and Larry

Great ideas. I will have to put them all into my Things to Know Database. I'm not sure yet which way I will go. More testing to do. I also heard that a wood filler in the holes may be an idea.

Larry - What brand of tea did you use. Earl Gray?  :D    

Thanks

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

rummy

rummy
  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationRoberts Wi

Ron,It was orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea.I'm brewing up a batch now.250 toothpick halves.My hull will be off white so these work perfect for me.  Larry

Attached Files

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Long9Ron

Long9Ron
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Larry

Thanks for the tea idea. I will have a cup while I think about it.  :)

I mounted my frames today and decided to do the treenails on them using plain old wooden toothpicks.

Frames mounted.

Attached File  1363291121106.jpg   10.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1363291164017.jpg   11.5KB   0 downloads

Treenails installed by freehand. Not to good. But, they won't be visible later. 

Attached File  2013-03-14 12.26.12.jpg   54.7KB   0 downloads

Sanded down and ready to mount the Keelson.

Attached File  1363290931776.jpg   23.12KB   0 downloads

More pictures to come after I do a little more work. 

• aykutansin likes this

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationBiloxi, Mississippi

That is good progress. My only observation is to make sure that the slot for the keelson is lined up well before you install the keelson.

Russ

Long9Ron

Long9Ron
  • Members
  • 246 posts

I have soaked the wooden toothpicks in Dark Walnut stain for a week now and just looked at them today. It seems that the stain has soaked right into the core of the wood.

Attached File  2013-03-17 11.22.55.jpg   46.11KB   2 downloads

I might end up soaking a bunch and use them in my build. Haven't decided which way to go as yet. Natural or dark?

While the toothpicks were soaking I worked on my frames. Which in my opinion are not very good, but I will be using them the way they are. You can see where I filled in the gaps with a sawdust-glue mixture and some other sloppy areas. But, overall I think they will work and I think I will not have any of the frames showing in the end product.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, taken with my cell phone. 

Attached File  2013-03-17 12.49.50.jpg   61.59KB   3 downloads

Attached File  2013-03-17 12.50.29.jpg   52.11KB   3 downloads

Attached File  2013-03-17 12.50.52.jpg   52.95KB   1 downloads

Attached File  2013-03-17 12.51.19.jpg   51.85KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2013-03-17 12.51.32.jpg   57.25KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2013-03-17 12.52.25.jpg   70.23KB   1 downloads

I have also cut some lumber for the inside planking and have my beams cut. I will be soaking the beams and bending them soon. After I do some inner planking and treenails of course

That's it for now.   :)  

• harvey1847 likes this

Ron

Pete38

Pete38
  • Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationEastview, Kentucky

The walnut on the toothpicks turned out very nice.  It is not to light or to dark (just enough contrast to know it is there but not draw away from the rest.

And your frames look really nice. :dancetl6:   Hope mine turn out half this good.  Keep up the good work and looking forward to more.

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

AnobiumPunctatum

AnobiumPunctatum
  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Ron,

I like the toothpik which has nearly the same cilor as your frames. After finishing the hull they will be light darker then the planking.

For my HMS Fly I use Pear for the frameing and also pear for all treenails in this part of the build

Regards Christian

In the shipyard: HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - Scale 1/32;

On the drawing board: Naval Cutter Rattlesnake, 1777 - Scale 1/32

mtaylor

mtaylor

Bilge Rat

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 14,221 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR

I'm with Christian.. the ligher one.  But it's your build and you're the Captain.  Go with what your heart says.

Mark

"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:

Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0

Past Builds:
Triton Cross-Section
USS Constellaton (kit bashed to 1854 Sloop of War (Gallery) Build Log
Wasa (Gallery)

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Matrim

Matrim

• Moderators
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire, England

On treenails it depends very much on the sort of effect you are after. If you are extremely accurate with your treenail placement then a very dark colour can be very striking. If you are not that accurate then the very dark colour just draws the eyes to any mis-placed nails. If this is the case then lighter is better (less is more..)

So look at what you like visually, effect on others and potentially placement accuracy.

Coming along nicely though.

Joss

Ours is a life of constant reruns. We're always circling back to where we'd we started, then starting all over again. Even if we don't run extra laps that day, we surely will come back for more of the same another day soon. - Joe Henderson

Tim C

Tim C
  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationHudson, Florida USA

Your frame line up is looking good and like the way that you kept the false keel long so you could screw it down tight.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Long9Ron

Long9Ron
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.

I think that I will go with the Natural color of the toothpicks. If my frames were of a darker color wood then I might go for the stained walnut, but my wood is very light, so I think the best one for now is the light one. As Joss said, they may stick out as a sore thumb if I don't line them up correctly and being my first time at treenails that would most likely happen. Maybe when I get a little more experienced at it I will use a darker treenails.  

Have to pick up some drill bits before doing any treenails.  

Ron

Pete38

Pete38
  • Members
  • 723 posts

Good choice, Can't wait to see more :dancetl6:

SEE YA LATER

Old Sea Dog

Old Sea Dog
  • Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBoise Idaho

Great idea on tea bags to stain

Dave

No problem can be solved from the level of consciousness that created it.  Albert Einstein

Long9Ron

Long9Ron
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Great idea on tea bags to stain

I can't take the credit for that great idea. It was Larry's idea for the tea bag staining.

Ron

Tim C

Tim C
  • Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationHudson, Florida USA

Good Luck with the drill and fill.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Old Sea Dog

Old Sea Dog
  • Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationBoise Idaho

yes i understand Larry's idea, and bty great looking build

I can't take the credit for that great idea. It was Larry's idea for the tea bag staining.

Dave

No problem can be solved from the level of consciousness that created it.  Albert Einstein

Paddy

Paddy
  • Members
  • 388 posts
  • Locationnear Trempealeau Wisconsin USA

Long9Ron: Thanks again for your help tonight.

I will spend more time in your thread but what I've seen so far the cross section is looking great. I also see there are many good suggestions from those following along. I'm working on a gantry building board and hopefully it will be ready to put to work before to long. The Triton Cross Section is beginning to look like a good candidate to run the first shake down with.

Cheers :)

Edited by Paddy, 20 March 2013 - 03:48 AM.

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Long9Ron

Long9Ron
  • Members
  • 246 posts

Just a little more to post at this time. I have been cutting my lumber to size for the planking and such and have the beams cut to size.

I made a little bending jig by gluing the frame drawing to a piece of wood and hammering finishing nails along the beam edge and then I soaked the beams in hot water for about an hour and mounted them in my bending jig. I will let them dry for a day or two before removing them from the jig. I think it will work just find. When that is done I will repeat the whole process for another set. Thanks to Snowmans idea.

Attached File  2013-03-20 09.52.22.jpg   66.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2013-03-20 09.52.34.jpg   60.73KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2013-03-20 09.52.51.jpg   62.62KB   0 downloads

Hope I don't get any mold on the wood or I will have to do the old bleach trick on them.

Well, back to work, still making planking..     :)  

• Pete38 and sonicmcdude like this

Ron

Pete38

Pete38
  • Members
  • 723 posts

Nice set up for bending the beams,   I wonder should one overbend the beams some to account for any spring back to original shape, or will it dry enough to maintain the shape in the jig??  Will wait and see :)

SEE YA LATER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.