Hull Warpage (Moved by moderator)

Hey All,

I hope that there is some advice for me out there to salvage this build. Currently I am working on the USS America from the Constructo company. The instructions are fairly vague, probably not made for the amateur. Well now I have glued and nailed the deck plywood to the frames and keel as the directions have shown and I noticed that the last three frames are out of alignment. They are square with the rest of the frames and the keel but for some reason there is a twist in the deck. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

Thanks Brian,  though I was afraid someone was going to suggest that. The trouble is I used gorilla wood glue to hold it. I suppose that it was fate or something that the 2mmplywood that Iordered two weeks ago came in yesterday. Hehehe weird. Thanks for your help.

Nate,

I'm not familiar with Gorilla wood glue, but if it is a PVA glue, then apply some isopropyl alcohol to the glue for a while first and it should come apart quite easily.  You might try soaking some paper towel in the alcohol and clamping that around the joint to help it soak in too.  If you're not familiar with isopropyl alcohol I suggest you get acquainted with it real quick - it will become your best friend.  Over here you can buy it in the hardware store by that name, otherwise look in the chemist for Rubbing Alcohol.  100% is best, but diluted forms (like Rubbing Alcohol usually is) works okay too.

Once you've got the pieces apart, you'll need to straighten the warpage. You might try wetting the timber and clamping it between two boards, or placing it under a heavy weight, and let it dry overnight.

Good luck.

If your Gorilla glue looks like this:

35_Wood_Glue_Bucket.gif

... then according to their webpage here it is a PVA glue. Agree that the solution is to unglue it - making incisions in the joint helps the alcohol penetrate faster.

If you say that the last three frames are square with the other frames, but the deck is twisted - perhaps the frames are installed at an angle? I hope you haven't started to fair those frames yet!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

@GiDale,  thanks for the advice. Gorilla glue is basically wood glue in superglue format. It is wonderful for those who work in wood but it is not very forgiving when then are errors to be corrected. I have already removed the deck plywood and traced a new piece for cutting tomorrow. I think with what you have told me and the advice from Brian C I see the problem. I must correct the false keel first with the frames then apply the main deck plywood. I will have to try the alcohol on some of the glue to see if it will work in the future as I am sure that I will need it again.