21ft English Pinnace by Mike Y - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24

Anchor rope in the kit is definitely not as gourgeous as on Chuck's prototype. Frankly, it looks very cheap and definitely not like a rope (more like a wire), but since it is the last bit of a model - I gave up, and decided not to bother with ordering a proper one.

post-5430-0-14724500-1400175967_thumb.jpg

But now the good part. Quoting Chuck's manual - "That completes the model!!!" I'm still in progress with the display case, but she is completed! Yahooo!

Chuck, thanks again for that fun build, that looks simple, but actually forces to learn new techniques and go to the next level of accuracy.

post-5430-0-40017300-1400176247_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-67962000-1400176229_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-17012300-1400176216_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-38250700-1400176206_thumb.jpg

Next buid would be a Longboat, since my wife really thinks it looks better with sails, and I want to make a better planking with boxwood :)

Ok, in reality I just want to make a pinnace again, this time avoiding all mistakes I did, but making the same model again is kind of silly, and I really love the look of longboat. Also, longboat build would be much slower - I will not rush things to complete it quicker.

Thanks everybody who watched, helped and commented - it is quite fun, much better then just modelling without being able to share!

Congratulations on completing an excellent build Mike. You can and should be very proud of your achievement. :)

congrats to your lovely looking pinnace Mike

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike, Congrats! Just completing it should make you very proud. I'm really looking forward to your Longboat build. Again, well done.

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Congrats Mike!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Beautiful boat, Mike.  Congratulations on finishing it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for that wave of comments! :)

Finished the display case. I made it out of plexiglass sheets and L shaped furu wood.

Looks so-so, CA is not the best way to glue plexiglass, and frankly I failed to cut accurate glass rectangles with required precision. So next time will buy a manufactured case.

post-5430-0-37804000-1400357991_thumb.jpg

It sounds ridiculous, but I have no place to put the model on display. This problem slightly crossed my mind before, but I preferred not to think where to put model before it's finished.

So now it is going to the drawer, until I move from rental to my own apartment, where I can easily mount a nice shelf on a wall ;)

Next build would be a scratch Oliver Cromwell using Hahn's method, but I just ordered it from Lumberyard a few weeks ago.

So will start a Longboat build while waiting. Hope that Oliver Cromwell will arrive in a matter of a month or so, hence Longboat would become a side build - when I will feel bored with cutting big pieces into small pieces to make a big pieces to cut them into small pieces to make a big pieces © mtaylor.

Edited by Mike Y

Just in case somebody is interested - I started the longboat build log - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6801-18th-century-longboat-by-mike-y-model-shipways-148/

Nothing interesting there (yet), but a warm welcome to all subscribers of this log, I will try to make it as interesting as possible.

Popcorn, beer, sandwiches, sawdust! :)

Do you know how to draw a crowd or what???  :)  :) :)   I guess I'd best follow the teeming masses... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Did somebody say popcorn and beer? Wait for me fellas.....................

• 2 years later...