Surprise Discovery of AL Charles Morgan

Shazmira

25 years ago I intended to start this wonderful hobby and I bought myself an AL Charles Morgan kit. I remember beginning to plank the hull and found I did not have the skill, nor was there a site like this to teach a new person how to do it correctly, and at that time I don't even think I owned my first computer yet.

Anyway to make a long story short, the model went on a back shelf somewhere and was forgotten.

12 years ago I had a house fire and everything was a total loss, except for a couple old dusty boxes stored in the garage.

Since that time I have survived 5 more moves, a divorce, recieved my BA and my Masters, raised my son to adulthood, witnessed the birth of 2 beautiful grandaughters, begun a new chapter in my life with a new job, new fiancee, and basically a new life.

Anyway, last night I was rummaging around in the basement, looking for some sandpaper I knew I had stored in a plastic tote, when lo and behold, in the middle of a tote I discovered the hull (partially planked) of my Charles Morgan. I was surprised as heck to find I still had this 25 year-old relic, assuming it had been lost in the fire. I quickly dug through the rest of the contents of the tote, and there at the bottom lay the instructions, the unopened plastic containers of all the fittings, and two tightly bound bundles of "sticks"!! Everything is there except the box it came in, and it all appears to be in pristine condition.

Questions. After this many years, will the wood supplied with the kit still be usable, or will it all be too dried out and brittle? Ddoes anyone know anything about this particular kit from the 80's?

Is it worth my time, sweat, blood, and bother...or should I look for something newer and better to purchase?

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Robbyn - What a neat story!  Not sure how useful the remaining timber would be, but it might prove to be an intersting opportunity to try and complete the build!  If the current materials are too dry/fragile, you could always look into getting replacement lumber from a number of vendors.  I am sure that, somewhere on this site of now more than 1,000 members, there is someone who built the CWM back in the day!

Time to get the grandbabies started in ship building yet?

Enjoy, and welcome!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne,

That's a no go on the grand babies...1 1/2 and almost 3...not a good combination around small fragile parts :P

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Yeah, i guess they need a couple of more years then.  My 5 year old grand daughter is helping with some simple painting, as you can see below.

Cricket painting her "assigned" part of the ship
post-18-0-27434500-1361299850_thumb.jpg

My oh-so-proud apprentice!

post-18-0-81035600-1361299892.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne,

Now that is awesome! So glad she can do her part!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

If the wood was good 25 years ago it should be good now. Wood doesn't dry out and go bad, it maintains a moisture content in equilibrium with the environment. I suspect ship modelers refer to dry and brittle wood as a way of saying the wood needed soaked in water so it would bend or the wood they were using wasn't suitable for bending.

Hello Robbyn, It ia always a joy to rediscover something that was thought to be gone forever. My own frugality would not permit me to throw the old girl away. She deserves a second chance.. If the wood seems excessivel dry amd brittle try rehydrating it by wrapping the strip wood up in very damp towels and then placing  the package in a  sealed garbage bag for a few days.    i look forward to seeing a build log on this one.

Kip

Great story Robbyn, go for it and finish it off.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow, thanks for the replies...my own frugal mind hates the thought of throwing her away...and I still love the lines of the ship itself...guess as soon as I finish planking my San Fran, I will start the Morgan, and build the two side by side.

Maybe I am a gluten for punishment, but I am also a bit impatient and am not sure I can keep plodding away on one while knowing the other is just sitting there waiting for some love and attention :piratetongueor4:

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

You must have been very excited when you found your buried treasure.  I started my first build in 1993 and I also purchased the Charles W. Morgan fron AL.  I wasn't prepared for the lack of instructions not included with the kit.  I finished the hull planking and the deck before I sold it to another ship builder.  I'd love to see you start a build log for your Morgan. 

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Bob, now you have me worried....guess I better read through the instructions and see just how bad they are. Hopefully, someone here will have been through this build before and can offer help when I get stuck.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

What a coincidence, I have that same model in a stalled state.

I "Laid the keel" in March 2000 but found the lack of clear instructions on how to shape the stern a stumbling block and it has sat since although I now have seen pics on the net of the real thing and have the knowledge I need to make progress it is not a high priority. The Royal Caroline comes first.

Not sure how old my kit is as I bought it at a clearance price from my supplier but I have everything, including the box.

So if I can help just ask!

I found this thread by searching for the Charles W Morgan and this is the only one on here at the moment, I would hope there are other completed models that will be re-posted in due course.

Steve