Echo Class Cross Section Workshop by Bob W

Hello Everyone,

I will be attending the upcoming Admiralty Models Workshop on the Echo Class Cross Section given by David and Greg.

I'll start by saying I messed up the parts Greg sent by using a black construction paper that was too thick.  No shop in my area had any of the correct paper.  So I sawed up some boxwood I had on hand from Hobby Mill and started over.  What I came up with was some tissue paper that I colored with a brown 'Sharpie'.  This seems to work ok.

The False Keel

post-340-0-72662100-1361310987_thumb.jpg

The Keel and False Keel

post-340-0-47681100-1361311046_thumb.jpg

And the jig made for holding the keel for the carving of the Rabbet

post-340-0-19703100-1361311234_thumb.jpg

More later,

Bob W

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

Bob,

Be sure to test with some scrap wood and that paper before finishing.  There are some finishes that will cause a Sharpie to bleed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bob, have fun at the Admiralty Workshop.  I envy you your proximity to their workshops.  Colorado is a fer piece for me to travel to attend.  Your keel looks great.  Nice work on the treenails and the caulking. 

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Bob W wrote:

Thanks Bob, what area of Colorado You from?

Westminster, north of downtown Denver.  You from Colorado originially?

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Bob,

No, South Jersey born.  My other hobby is 1:20.3 scale live steam narrow gauge trains (D&RGW).  In 2003 spent two weeks doing the Narrow Gauge Loop,  love the high country.

Bob W

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

Looking good Bob! What did you use to simulate the 6 bolts?

I live up at the other end of the state (Bloomingdale) and like you feel fortunate to live not too far away.

This should be a great workshop. I'll see you on the 8th.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Hi Jim,

Used some 0.020" hard brass wire from a spool I've had for over thirty years.  Can't remember where it came from.  The holes in the keel parts were drilled with a sensitive drill chuck in a 8" drill press. Both halves were marked then drilled.  The bolts were blackened with some brass oxidizer from a engraving shop that I've had just as long.

Bob W

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

VERY NICE KEEL ASSEMBLY BOB....WELL DONE

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

looks great!  the clear framing jig looks really neat.  I look forward to meeting you next week.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Looks really nice. Well done

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Very Nice Bob, Enjoy the work shop and I look forward to seeing the rest of your work.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

More workshop photos

Greg showing Jim, Joe, and Pete the ins and outs of the Sherline Mill.

post-340-0-36446400-1363117922_thumb.jpg

David giving some instructions to Norm.

post-340-0-58079000-1363118089_thumb.jpg

Hard at work.

post-340-0-87666600-1363118212_thumb.jpg

Greg's full hull work in progress.

post-340-0-49424800-1363118272_thumb.jpg

My first frame.

post-340-0-99650400-1363118339_thumb.jpg

Bob W

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

Thanks for the photos Bob. I knew your Nikon digital SLR would take better photos than my mini Nikon. Your first frame came out terrific and your lucite jig far outdid mine. Hope to catch you at our next workshop in the fall!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Trussben and Greg,

I had a great time and learned much.  Re-doing the shop now to set up the scroll saw that's been sitting around.  Then to get a Oscillating Spindle Sander and a disc sander,  then I'll be set.

Bob W

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

• 5 weeks later...

Update:  Have been working on a new work area.  Ran a 20Amp line with a 4 gang receptical box.

post-340-0-54485300-1365792319_thumb.jpg

New Oscillating Sander by Shop Fox.  Good deal from Amazon.com at less than $160 with free shipping.  Makes lot of noise,  but can't beat the price.  

post-340-0-74040700-1365792639_thumb.jpg

Craftsman 16" Scroll Saw.  Its been sitting in the box for three years.  Very smooth with not much noise.  Needs pin blades, haven't found any with a small front to back size.

post-340-0-72977000-1365792662_thumb.jpg

Harbor Frieght Micro Mill.  Love this mill,  the 'Z' axis fine adjustment is the dial just above the light.  Still need a tilting table.

post-340-0-65527600-1365792806_thumb.jpg

And the last item is a Brynes Disc Sander.  What a dream to use. Makes fast work of chocks.

post-340-0-26252900-1365792919_thumb.jpg

Bob Wescott

Edited by oneslim

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

Made a new keel from the kit wood.  This is the Mark II framing jig.  71/2" high,  very snug fit to the keel.  The only thing to watch for is that the temporary cross bar at the top of the frame must be a thickness that is equal to the offset of the frame thickness difference in the top timber.

post-340-0-52958900-1365793491_thumb.jpg

Here is the build board covered with a clear protective sheet.

post-340-0-40069500-1365793520_thumb.jpg

A shot of the layout sheet.  mounted to the glass lapping plate from the sharpening pond.  I've been using Scotch Brand double stick tape to keep the parts in place and for the pattern cut outs, no residue to clean up. 

post-340-0-42782800-1365793651_thumb.jpg

Bob Wescott

Edited by oneslim

Bob Wescott

South Jersey