H.M.S Triton Cross Section by KennyH78 - FINISHED - 1:48

Finished rigging the guns and built the gangway platforms. Working on the crutches now. I am going to build one out of brass tubing, but will have to use CA glue since I don't have the equipment to do silver solder.  Once it's built, I'll paint it black. If I don't like the way it looks, I'm going to make them out of wood. I am also thinking about how to make the case for this model. Once it is complete, it will be gifted to my Dad.

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

Kenny

Current Builds:   HMS Winchelsea   MS US Frigate Confederacy

On Hold: Continental Frigate Raleigh 1777

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

Future Builds: MS English Pinnace;  OcCre Endurance;  Revenue Cutter Cheerful

Kenny, very nice progress! I just want to say that it really is worth while learning how to do silver soldering. The equipment is not at all expensive. You just need a simple small pencil torch (about UK£4.50 or less on Amazon now). I bought one of the model I've linked to 4 years ago and it's still going strong. If you buy the larger ones with press button ignition you may well find they're less reliable (I did). Then you need a syringe of soft silver solder paste (I bought mine at the same time for about UK£9 from cupalloys and that too is still going strong). That's the total extra expenditure. I'm sure the prices will be similar or less in the USA.

There's a tutorial on the site which tells you exactly how to do it. You'll find that there's a great deal that can be done with this.

Also, if you don't want to make the gangway knees with silver soldering, you can also cut out the shapes from copper plate as was done by Grant in his Triton build. I've just done them that way, although nowhere near as nicely.

Tony

So it was pointed out to me that I had a crooked ledge on the gun deck.  Thanks to dvm27 for pointing that out.  I can't believe that I missed that.  When I went to fix it, I found that the ledge in question wasn't even glued in, which was a win for me.  It was easy to fix, just popped it out applied glue and set it back into place and made sure it was straight. 

I also finished up one of the crutches for the gangway, I think it came out pretty good.  I am going to make the rest using the same process.  Now I just need to figure out how to blacken them chemically; I'm open to suggestions since I have never tried that before. (I'm not sure how well black paint will stand up on the crutches.  Anyways, here are some more pictures....

IMG_0935.thumb.JPG.8e1b2908f19136ebbffc01c6897568fb.JPGIMG_0946.thumb.JPG.33547f8bef362d4cc332fdde8c7692e2.JPGIMG_0947.thumb.JPG.17ba80860a2bb64665fbf3a331c14375.JPGIMG_0948.thumb.JPG.293a185ab14b53d089ae377bd8890f68.JPGIMG_0949.thumb.JPG.b8d05398b405e2010f53750b147d5d90.JPGIMG_0950.thumb.JPG.311bbe8c278352ed51066b64b76b83e2.JPG

Kenny

Completed Builds: MS 18th Century Longboat   Dinghy - Midwest Kit    H.M.S Triton Cross Section 1/48   Chesapeake Bay Flattie - Midwest Kit

The cross section is finished.  I made the crutches from brass square stock and painted them black and then installed them on the gangways.  I then installed the gangways on the cross section along with the ladders.  Put a coat of wipe on poly on and attached it to the base with three short pieces of 1/16" brass rod.  I also made a case to go over the model.  The base and case is made from pine.  I have apply cherry stain to the base and I will also stain the case with cherry.  The case will be attached to the base with some 1/16" brass rod to keep it from sliding around.  Anyways, here are the pictures.  I will post some of the case once that is completed.

IMG_0952.thumb.JPG.21ef6b0d863e1fcf0473ecc17fea00a4.JPGIMG_0953.thumb.JPG.7d1553d4c7257420d1acbffd7bc6da41.JPGIMG_0954.thumb.JPG.73d12dc316812c1497ecee3b04ca14b4.JPGIMG_0955.thumb.JPG.5774cf97c4aa71d59f1ab4922f6547a2.JPGIMG_0956.thumb.JPG.76fb844d8d6a3e50b5359af30c597f04.JPGIMG_0957.thumb.JPG.f4b2ddd81431ef5a1f8172d8568ee674.JPG

Kenny

Kenny,

congratulations for finishing such a beautyful section model. It made me a lot of fun to follow your build log in the past month. Will you know start the full hull build?

And it made me again very sad and angry that it was necessary for the Board Admirality to stop this beautyful community project.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Gosh! That was fast! Congratulations. Very nice too!

Tony

Thank you so much for the comments and likes. 

Christian, there are plans for a POB full build of the Triton; but that will be a while before I start it.  I currently have a piece of Castello Boxwood that is acclimating to the climate in Texas which I will mill down and use for the Triton full build.  I also need to find some Holly and order a Byrnes tables saw and thickness sander.  In the mean time I am going to put together the Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat kit.  It's still a toss up on whether to start the Model Shipways Confederacy kit or the Lumberyard's US Frigate Raleigh kit (Harold Hahn plans and milled lumber from the Lumberyard).  Decisions, decisions.......

Tony, it may seem like it was fast, but I started this build in 2014, then had to take a break to finish up school and for 3 surgeries for carpal and cupital tunnel.  Once I was able to start it back up (after earning my degree) I really wanted to get it finished.

Now to go finish the case and get the model ready to give to my Dad.

Kenny

Congrats on a great build, Kenny.   Looks wonderful and will look even better in case.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark.  The case is almost done.  Just waiting on the stain to dry on the pine and then I need to finish it off with some wipe on poly.

Kenny

The case is finished and carefully pulled over the model, sealing in the model for forever (I hope).  Now I just need to find the time to take it to my Dad who lives 3 hours away.  I'm sure he will love it (he has no clue that I am going to give it to him).  Anyways, here are the pics.....IMG_0959.thumb.JPG.359c0010dca1612418d60fdfb1059404.JPGIMG_0961.thumb.JPG.82cf57189ec1fdf44849793305f284f2.JPGIMG_0964.thumb.JPG.19949ab9c903c7fc80541692e81f86a5.JPGIMG_0962.thumb.JPG.09836c2dd488197020c2346779a968b4.JPGIMG_0963.thumb.JPG.0e337cb37074b16bc85702bc3f3b0137.JPG

Kenny

I think your Dad will be thrilled, Kenny.  Looks great in it's new home.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kenny:

Your cross section came out really well. Great display case. Congratulations on a fine model.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...