Seeing the post by Bob on the Crother's book AMERICAN-BUILT PACKETS AND FREIGHTERS OF THE 1850'S  (http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/5376-american-built-packets-and-freighters-of-the-1850s/?p=154501), I went on-line to see what my options are for buying (and to add to the wish list which I periodically send to my Admiral and kids).  Lo and behold, there is an additional title coming out this summer:

The Masting of American Merchant Sail in the 1850s

An Illustrated Study

Print ISBN: 978-0-7864-9399-9

Ebook ISBN: 978-1-4766-1569-1

ca. 45 photos, glossary, appendix, bibliography, index

softcover (8.5 x 11) 2014

Not Yet Published, Available Spring/Summer 2014

About the Book

This book describes the intricacies of construction and fabrication more than 150 years ago of masts and yards installed in American merchant vessels, particularly those spars which were "built" or composed of multiple pieces bound together by iron bands. These were referred to as "made" spars as opposed to spars which were constructed from a single tree. It also contains instructions for developing the shape and proportions of various spars. Very little information is available on this subject. Generally, the external sizes of individual spars can be found but intimate details are sorely neglected. In addition the book includes the spacing and location of masts in a ship, and the rake. It also includes a discussion of the types of wood that are most desirable in the construction of spars.

Price is listed as $55.00 at the McFarland website (http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-9399-9) and also on Amazon.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus