German Cutter 1910 by DSiemens - FINISHED - 1:300 - Bottle

You know it's funny. When I first started I used to think the number crunchers and plank counters were crazy. Then I noticed who had the better builds so I started doing some more measuring. I think it's helping. I also found there is fun in squabbling over a couple millimetres. Thanks for the input.

I created something I thought every one would enjoy.  Putting the ship in the bottle on video!  Sorry about the bad lighting.  

So I got her in things were good then this happened.

1618545_10152085751663705_493853825_n.jp

A thread block holding the main job popped open and she had to be pulled out and redone.  Since I had already glued the lines for the other jibs they had to come off completely.  All well I'll get her fixed up and try again.   

I clicked "like" due to the pictures and video.... I don't like the result.  :(   Hopefully, once everything is re-fitted, there will be no further storm damage.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Still an amazing process.  Working one-handed like that would drive me nuts!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Mark.  I do appreciate the like even if it's a post of bad news.  This problem is a curse and a blessing.  I wasn't fond of the main Jib any ways so now I have an excuse to replace it.  I did it the same size as the plans but because I wasn't checking them as often as I should I had to tie the line down more forward then it should be.  This resulted in the jib hiding behind the other jib.  To remedy this I'll make it a little bigger.  I think I'll make that darn hole just a tad deeper as well.  

Thank you too Augie.  Strangely enough I find it very fun.  I really am doing this the hard way which is part of why it's so tedious.  The easy method is to use a hinge to keep the mast in place and glue the hull down before raising the mast.  Doing that can make it as easy as pulling a few strings.  I like this method though because without the hinge the ship looks more real and more impossible in the bottle.  Also it allows for some flexibility since the mast can be held closer to the hull or even to the side as opposed to straight back.  A common problem with the hinge is having deck furniture get in the way and the mast not being able to fold down far enough.  The shallow hole method does get tricky with more masts though.  I've done up to four and it took a while.  The other advantage to not gluing it down is I can pull the ship out if things go awry.  If the ships glued in tight you may have to break the bottle to get it out.  Which can cause a whole other set of problems.  Any ways I'm caring on.  Thank you for your comments they are very much appreciated.      

_MG_9726.jpg

Edited by DSiemens

love the video Daniel......I can see why you enjoy it so much!  I would have to see a lot more,  before I was to try one though  ;)

sorry to see the ship go back in dry dock......but every modeler knows that there are the risks involved......it's all part of the hobby.  you'll have her fixed up in no time ;)   thank you for that wonderful video  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Unlike static models, SiBs have to operate as planned, and they often require repairs in the bottle or a return to port. It's just a chance to do better and a part of the hobby. Keep up the nice work.

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Popeye.  I'm glad you enjoyed the video.  

Thanks David.  Yea it's all part of the learning process.  It's not the first time I've had a ship back in dry docks and won't be the last I'm sure.  

Success!

20140301_180425.jpg

Still needs a bit of work with the sea and the main mast needs a slight adjustment but she's in.  

congratz Daniel........looks super!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Wow !!! Daniel.  All I can say is Bravo !! :D

That was for me was a tension filled video. So glad it had a successful outcome.

I might even try it but with a canoe in a wide mouthed opening. ;)

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

You did it !  It looks great !  I hope it was enough to get past the "road block" on your Queen Anne's Revenge.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks Popeye.

Thank Senior Old Salt.  The first fitting was a good exercise the second took half the time and was not so tense.  I have seen canoes in bottle before.  If you want something a little easier try a submarine in a bottle with only the periscope sticking out of the water.  Saw that once too.  It was pretty hilarious.  

Thanks Dgbot.  It is one way.  There's at least six or seven others.  

Thanks Cap'n Bob.  I think it did get me over the road block.  I figured out a couple of things along the way so work on the QAR will continue after I have the presentation for RMSW done.  

Daniel the model looks really sweet in that bottle. Congratulations on a super job.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael.  That means a lot coming from such an accomplished Cutter builder.  

She's done except for seagulls.  Part of me is still debating that.  I know I can do it it's just a matter of do I want to spend any more time on this.  I'll mull that one over.  

20140303_234445.jpg

20140303_234337.jpg

Also a something to note.  The Bottle Shipwright, Ship in Bottle Association of America's quarterly magazine, had a great template for Turks head knots.  

20140303_230053.jpg

20140303_234322.jpg

One more photo just for fun.

post-307-0-68608400-1393917202_thumb.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done.  She is gorgeous all around.  The model, bottle and ropework used in the display are all wonderfully synergistic.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

superb finish.......very well done!   ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

At Manitowoc a few years back John Fox  III gave a demo on how he does is models.  He amkes it look easy.  Including his Constitution in a watch case that he pulled out of his shirt pocket.  If you can ever make or can send your model I think you would have a good time.

David B

Thank you Augie for your very nice compliment.  The rope base was a last minute idea but it really turned out nice.  I think I'll use it again.  

Thank you Popeye.

Ddbot I've seen that Constitution on his website.  http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~jfox3/forshow.html  Absolutely incredible work.  It would be fun to go but for now I can't leave the Admiral home alone that long with the little Ensigns running a muck.  Maybe when their a bit older I'll bring them along.  Ralph mentioned the trip recently and asked if any one wanted to send models.  I think I may send this one and maybe my Cutter the Fly.  I don't know how well they'll compete but it'll still be fun.