Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

Hola Mija,

The progress on your Red Dragon looks amazing. I look forward to your next edition showing all of us what the bulkhead compartment below decks looks like. Take your time and enjoy. 

Daniel, that it is. Aged, worn, sailed, used and alive. I do love the wood mastery and clean job of many of the masters in MSW, but have to bring that look to ships old as they are. Well, at least, they seem old :D . The planking job gave me some work. The AL veneer isn´t that good.

Raymond, grácias! And there the compartment will be, for some crates and sacks. ^^ Trying not to rush.

Bindy, ty!! I made some tests before staining all the deck. That gave me the certainty about the look I wanted. Took some scrape, glued them together as if a small segment of my deck, and after sanding and nailing, stained the wood. Took some sanding again and took a second hand to fill the small holes - that made them look treenails ^^.

Vivian, there is nothing better than the look of a well worn and lived in ship, Your doing a great job on her, well done.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

very nice planking.............great job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Vivian...

I only can repeat what all the other fellow shipmen said: You do a great job with the planking - esp the deck. It gives an idea how the ship looked like when it was used. I think it is a fundamental question if one builds a clean... ideal-typical model (eg without colors...) or a more and more realistic model where you can even smell tar and sweat... pea stew and sauerkraut (against scurvy).

I am not sure what way is the "right" one - but everyone is a good one

Good progress - best wishes

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Janet B

Hi Vivian

I have been building RED DRAGON  for about a year now.I made the chainplates from copper strip it was very easy to form round the rails,i re-made all

of the winches from lemon wood the bul bullwarks i planked them inside,the handrails are a bit trickey i made them from flexable beech and had to use

hot water and a soldering iron for heat,then i worked my way along using super glue.

kind regards Janet..

Hey, Mobsie, thank you. Let us see if I can keep it up till the end - on the worn look, I mean, I confess I have some doubts about the hull. :P

Sam, it´s something I like, can´t help doing things like these. Hope my models can be at least a little convincing.

Ty, ty, Popeye!!

Matti, I´m loving to work and research about junks. Thanks. ^^

Max, think there´s no right way - or, the right way is the one that make us happy! I admire a lot many of our fellow modelists who goes through sweat and hard work to make a ship look brand new, but for mine, they need some story to tell. ^^

Janet, ty for the tips. I´ll be careful around the handrails!! =D

Some more pics for you.

After that movie about the construction of a traditional junk, gave some thought about how should look my compartment - so, after some testing, got a chinese red for the paint, over a hand of yellow. The result as follows

post-8919-0-18305900-1393923328_thumb.jpg

After that I fixed the deck. Well, I fixed and took it out after the glue dryied cause on a closer look, it was assymmetric. Seems the weight made it slide over the glue on the fore.

post-8919-0-39745800-1393923333_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-98124900-1393923342_thumb.jpg

Then I got to my cabin. Since the AL ship is not so big as those described by medieval travelers, got just one cabin. Compartments should be load only if the ship was a merchant one - and part of them were used by the crew for sleeping most of the time. As I intend to have an explorer ship, or a pirate one, no need to have cabins for this or that person besides the one in charge.

post-8919-0-31608400-1393923348_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-59582500-1393923353_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-73433200-1393923358_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-85015500-1393923363_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-96681300-1393923368_thumb.jpg

As u can see, my doors shall be completely different from the kit. After some measurements I saw that scale wasn´t right, since people would have to be 1.2m hight to avoid knocking their heads on the ceiling. Doors were too small too - so, I augmented all of it to be something more close to reality - now my doors stand about 1.8m and about 2.2 for the ceiling.

Got my first accident on cutting wood, today. No big time, but got two nails on my left forefinger, as the scalpel cut it´s way through... :(

Edited by Vivian Galad

Hola Mija,

I am so sorry for the slight accident with the nails and scalpel, it's one of the drawbacks to this hobby. But I must say the compartment looks great and I really like the way you fixed the cabin area with the details on the columns and beam (Eres un verdadera artista). I look forward to more updates.

looks very nice Vivian.......most of the time,  you can stretch the scale a little,  and you can get away with it.   you just have to be careful on how much you do it.   you did well here though.......and you can build in a little extra detail to compliment it.   very nice deck work  ;)

hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly :o

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Very nice planking and great looking model. You are very skillful and I admire your beautiful work, dear Vivian.

Kind regards and be careful during the build.

Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Thank u, Ollie. That is something I thought about for some time, since I haven´t any pictures or immages from junks´ inside, I took some house´s ref.

Raymond, everything is fine and today I´ll get back to my ship. I´ll have to keep my nail clean, though. Thanks for your kind words. =*

Well, I had to stretch the scale and now, I´ll have to think how to fix the side walls - It´ll take some days to sort out what to do - If I use the kit parts or scratch new ones. As for my cut, wasn´t that serious, but hurts a bit, yet. Ty!

Thanks, Matti. As the ships goes on, it´s nice to see the mods are looking good. ^^

Doris, always, always honored and pleased by your presence in my log. Thanks for you lovely words and I´ll be careful - at least, think I´ll not hurt myself the same way. =*****

Viv.

Sorry I missed the post where you said you had an accident. I wish you well. That happens sooner or later to all of us. Now you can say that your ship cost you blood, sweat and tears. :)

Best wishes, Viv.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thanks, Ulises. We can´t play with fire without burning ourselves. So, it goes with blades, razors and all that stuff. But I´m well - typing with the wrong finger, but well. :P

As I can´t let a little accident put me down, got to my ship today, again. Well, not the ship properly, but it´s furniture. As the cabin will be shown, needed some reliable furniture to go within. As there is little immages and texts regarding medieval ships´ furniture in China, had to go through the common furniture for homes and monasteries.

After some immages and reading, found that chinese beds on ancient times, and medieval included, were seen not only as a place to sleep, but to lay on, sit, like a chair or a couch.

Some examples:

post-8919-0-26056300-1394066627.jpg

post-8919-0-06163100-1394066628.jpg

post-8919-0-41086900-1394066639_thumb.jpg

So, after these references, I did mine chinese bed. As almost all beds presented were canopied ones, mine is too. The difference is I made it simpler - beds on ships can´t have all those traceries and perilous elements to hit your head on. Still, the canopied bed can be a good place to hold you on a stormy sea, at least I think.

post-8919-0-53184400-1394066657_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-09118400-1394066665_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-32955400-1394066672_thumb.jpg

The fabric used for the bed is silk. I won´t make it a pirate junk - think it´ll be more like an ambassador´s ship. I´ll make a chest, a chair and a desk, for instance - but I´m very open to suggestions ^^

How a little blood on the deck. ? After all, sailors slip with  their knives ..once in a while.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Sorry to here about your accident.  Your right it isn't a matter of if but when.  I recently got a new set of exacto knives and cut myself two or three times the first time using them.   :o   Not so bad as your's though it sounds.  I like your idea on giving the ship a theme.  It will really will make it set it apart from other models.  Plus I think bashing is a good way to get into scratching.      

Fantastic work on your canopy bed, Vivian !!

Now ... can you carve in ancient Mandarin ... in characters 1.5mm high ??

PS: Glad to see you aren't letting a little knife accident slow you down.

(As you can see from my pic, I'm down to five fingers)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

S.os - Think I have been initiated. lol

Daniel, as my interest is getting into the scratchbuild world, all experiences I do must help ^^. I love to cook, so in the process of mastering chopping, got all of my fingers cut - now, that´s a new scar to add to those cooking ones.

Hey, Capt´! Thanks ^^ - as for the ancient mandarin, that´ll give me some work, huh? Don´t know if I can, but I´ll give it a try. =D

very nice Vivian.......a little detail in the cabin is always good.  :)   I've done a few that had small windows........toss in a few extras,  and you can't see it after the roof is on.   you have a good direction of how you want the build to go......a build goes much smoother.  nice job ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work, Vivian. There was more than one picture that I had to stop and think "is she showing us a real boat and what she wants?".  But nope...it was your work.  Sorry about the accident, but there is a saying here:  "there will be blood".  I think we're all happy it wasn't a lot of blood.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Vivian,

actually I Need a new bed in my house... perhaps, when you are ready with your junk you will find time? *hahaha*

Really rfeally wonderful done... I am curios what textiles you will use for the bed...

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Popeye, that´s something I gave some thought already. I knew from the beginning what I would do about the cabin, at least, on the oppenings - doors and windows. The furniture is coming as I try to figure it out how chinese were sailing or living in that time. ^^ thanks

Mark, thank u a lot. I know there´s a lenghty path to follow, but to read your words is to think I´m going well. As for the blood, well, it was for the best - now I know the blades can brake on stress and won´t repeat the procedure - lol.

Hey, Sam, good point. No more demons in me for this model!!!! ^^