H.M.S. Triton 1:48 scale cross section - FINISHED

As I've written before. Congrats to a wonderful model. Which height and width has your display case? I think, that my full hull build will need a lot of spcae.

Good morning Christian,

The case is approximately 9" wide, 19" long, and 33" tall. If you are going to build a case for your full build, the only dimension you would have to change is the 9" to whatever dimension you need.

Ray

With the song -> "I did it my way" in your head you and Woody have brought a very interesting build to a great finish!! Several folks here and there said this and that but you pushed on doing it your way. NICE FINISH!!

Looks great and way to go.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks for the info, Ray

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ray

Great work on your extended cross section.can't wait to get started on mine! How did you find working with basswood? Its readily available over here in the UK but I tend to find it quite "fluffy" .how do you keep a nice square and well defined edge? Do you scrape rather than sand?

Cheers......mick

Hello Raymond,

I too would like to congratulate on the completion of an incredible model.  I sure hope you are proud of what you have done as you most certainly should be!  It just looks terrific !!  I can't wait to follow your next project and steal some more hints, tips, and ideas and inspiration!

Hi ray

Great work on your extended cross section.can't wait to get started on mine! How did you find working with basswood? Its readily available over here in the UK but I tend to find it quite "fluffy" .how do you keep a nice square and well defined edge? Do you scrape rather than sand?

Cheers......mick

Greetings Mick,

I appreciate your words and I must say that you will enjoy your journey with the HMS Triton. I've always wanted to tackle a POF and with the Triton I was able to do just that. In regards to basswood I have had no issues. I believe that it cuts well, holds a pretty decent edge, and can easily be manipulated to what you ask of it. I will sit on the sidelines and watch you progress on this marvelous build.

Cheers, Ray

Hello Raymond,

I too would like to congratulate on the completion of an incredible model.  I sure hope you are proud of what you have done as you most certainly should be!  It just looks terrific !!  I can't wait to follow your next project and steal some more hints, tips, and ideas and inspiration!

Thanks Bindy,

I hope everything is well with the family. I have truly enjoyed my experience with, and quite proud of, my Triton (especially after that slight misunderstanding at the very beginning). I am now scheduled to work on the "New Bedford Whaleboat" that a friend gave me due to the assistance I gave him with the enclosure of a porch.

I must confess one thing, I am still thinking of the Triton and I may/may not try a full build of her. Seeing that I will be stationed here for another three years I am seriously considering it.

Fair winds to you and yours,

Ray

Hey, Ray.......

Fine work on your Triton cross section; very much envied.  Question:  What gauge wire, or diameter,  did you use for your ringbolts you made (I assume) for your gun tackles? Thanks.

Si

Uncle Si,

Sorry for the delay. I had some left over wire used for an alarm system that seemed to be the right size for my ring bolts. Once the wire was stripped of its plastic sleeve, it came out to be 1/32" in diameter. I hope this helps.

Ray

Thank you, Ray, that was exactly what I needed to know.  I have been playing around with several different gauges of wire to make ringbolts and hooks for a 1:48 model I am building, and I felt that yours were fairly close to the right size for that scale.  Thanks again for your help.

Si

• 2 weeks later...