Santa Maria by SkerryAmp - Artesania Latina - 1:65 - PoF

On 8/27/2020 at 8:17 PM, Louie da fly said:

Looking good, Adam

Thanks Louie - it is a trip!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

On 9/1/2020 at 1:05 PM, Egilman said:

Hey brother, not a big fan of veneers here either, always seemed to me like twice the work.... 

Good work, looking good... will pull up a chair if you don't mind....

Thank you kind sir! By all means pull up a chair, beer and popcorn in the corner.

It is a little slow going as I am spending a LOT of time trying to figure out ways around some holes I put myself in, so there may be delays between posts, but it will get there - by hook or by crook it will get there!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Well here we are again!

As I continue to try to get all the exterior battens back into place I hit a spot where it felt time to get the forecastle deck done.   I figured this part was in very good shape so let's git r done.

I started by popping the false deck out of the sheet and then cutting strips to be used as the actual decking.  Very simple stuff really....   thank goodness I still had my Chopper!

84908046_SantaMaria92-ForecastleDeck1.jpg.4811d189a1d95e9d106c0f1ac780cd72.jpg

Before I put the decking on I wanted to simulate the caulking.  I know there are many different ways to do this and just as many "tastes" as to what people like.  I kind of like a nice black line which varies a little bit between pieces (some darker, thicker than others etc).   So my preferred method which I picked up from the mayflower is to use archivist ink pens.

These are the ones I am currently using as they come in a set of various size tips (for various size jobs!) including a brush pen which is perfect for the caulking while the others are good for nails.  That is, of course, my humble opinion.

1314532428_SantaMaria90-ArchivistPens.jpg.059385e23c9683ffeb9b01476cf615e9.jpg

958537201_SantaMaria91-ArchivistPenBrush.jpg.510febc16a2a987e9b5123dab0a60391.jpg

The brush, as I mentioned, makes it easy to vary the strength and depth of the caulking lines - for example

SideBySide.thumb.png.e955e21237001c7cc1bbb85b212c6180.png

So, without further delay I "caulked" the edges and lay the deck

1356833422_SantaMaria95-ForecastleDeck4.jpg.b4354ee42d296e58c0f7f5e5bcd02232.jpg

WOOOOO boy is that rough lookin!  One issue I did have was making sure all the decking was pressed tight and flat and even.  Wasn't completely sure what to do or what to use and then it hit me!

Under my mat is a sheet of metal I use for using magnets as jigs, squares and braces.. why not - a press!!

1305691417_SantaMaria96-ForecastleDeck5.jpg.c3c466f885f38af6b1996cc1b526e114.jpg

If this didn't flatten it - nothing would!

And it did!  NICE and flat - still rough.  So,  trimmed the edges of course to fit the shape of the deck and then after a quick round of sanding... whalla!

117559255_SantaMaria97-ForecastleDeck6.jpg.3d6dd08ab55b7c782f5c5f3f15a2dcf4.jpg

One deck!  Still wasn't quite right though - better, but not what I was really after.  So I cut out the hatch and the mast hole and sanded some more!

1770171277_SantaMaria98-ForecastleDeck7.jpg.5863f80ffab022481b942b3dccec5894.jpg

Ahhhh, much better - now lets see if everything still lined up!   OOOOOH the tension!

342421521_SantaMaria99-ForecastleDeck8.jpg.16ec5bee1a254992c2ca79193f877a11.jpg

Now that made my day.    The battens were good, especially getting more on and feeling like things were moving in the right way,  but putting this deck on was a bit more of a move forward - very encouraging.  Although.... 

the color.     It obviously does not match the other decking - then it hit me,   I use mixes a lot - not straight stain (tends to be too rich or dark) so i cut it with natural to lighten it up or even with a gray to soften it a bit.   What on earth did I use for the deck!

Took some time but turns out it was 5:1 Natural to Golden Oak - or at least close to it

1108836576_SantaMaria100-ForecastleDeck9.jpg.a2be99121a1efb09b1e33fd6acaaf860.jpg

I think I matched it up pretty well.   I applied that after wiping it down with the conditioner which prevented a LOT of blotching (Basswood blotches something fierce).   There is a little, but nowhere near what it would have been.

At first I was like OH NO the color is not even, but after it dried I like the varying depths of color on the woods, makes it look like different deck boards were used.

So,  that is where we are at now.    I still have more battens to finish as well as the forward veneers but have to also work out the caps - I seem to be out of the walnut so have to find wood that is a reasonable replacement and a stain mix to come close to match it - this will be interesting!  FUN but interesting!

Until later - happy modeling!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

I very much enjoyed following the process as you did the decking from start right through to finish. You've done a very nice job there. It looks really good.