Any thoughts on copper plates vs copper tape on hulls?  I'm finding copper plating my HMS Vanguard going very slowly and not especially exciting.  While I'm sure everyone would say the plates are more accurate and show better, I'm considering plating one side and taping the other.  It will be displayed in such a way only one side can be seen, so that's not an issue. 

Part of my question is how well the tape conforms to the curves and bends of the hull (without kinking), how well it adheres, and how easy and fast it goes on compared the the tedious work of the individaul plates? Does using a ponce wheel come help (the Vanguard plates are only  embossed, not actually engraved)?

I realize this is copping out to a large degree, but its not a part of the process I enjoy, I want to make it back to the wood and decks sometime before I get old

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Coptoper tape is a thin foil.  It is used in the stained glass industry all the time.  It conforms  to the hull nicely.  Many modlers prefer it because it is easy to work with.  If you wish to fully simulate indiviual plates you then score it.

David B

Glenn

I have made quite good experience in using copper-tape as David is describing, and using a poncewheel as you mentioned, and it conforms to the hulls curves very well. If you do the copper stripes in a way of e.g. 4 or 5 "resembled plates" at a time. (length of stripes) you should be finished before you are old.

And a Major Advantage is you are not Messing around with CA, ruining your fingertips...., because of well sticking tape instead.

The ponced copper surface can be flattend off a bit afterwards, before the tape strips are put on.

Have a look below and see what I mean

Nils

post-3445-0-09825100-1392576958_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-11732500-1392576964_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-89937400-1392576972_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Daniel,

the poncewheel is selfmade from an old toothwheel from a mantel-clockwork and the handle of an old Paintbrush.

If you like, you can refer to my buildlogfor

for my steamship Heinrich Kayser at the end of part 2 therein (Topic: scratch built models in Progress)

Trust that helps along, otherwise feel free to come through again, I`ll be glad to help

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I think there are actually 3 solutions possible here -

1. Use the commercially available plates that come with the model

2. Make your own plates from the tape

3. Use strips of tape and simulate the separate plates.

My Impression is that the major difference is that you cannot overlap the plate with #3 above. Comments?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd,

I have used strips for two models and they are thin enough that you can overlap them.  

If doing that. you want to leave one of the edges (top or bottom) smooth so you won't have rivets on rivets when applied. I personally did not like the look  because I was not able to overlap the plate beside as those seams are simulated except at the ends of the tape run..

Another thing is I have found it easier to use strips no longer than about four plates long. Any longer than that and it became unruly and hard to manage on the curves.  I like the look and as is pointed out it obviates the need for using CA which I try to minimize at all costs.  That's not a purist reference, just my discomfort working with it.  Further, the adhesive on the tape is quite good but one needs to be careful at the edges of  the hull as any mishaps might pull the tape away.  To prevent that, I did use a small bit of CA along the outside edges.

Which ever method one chooses make sure you get a protective coating on as soon as possible unless you want the tarnished look.

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

I have used copper tape to good results. For preparation, I give the hull a coat of primer and a good final sanding afterwards. I cut a length of tape, then score the individual plates, so that I am applying them one plate at a time. This way I can overlap the ends as well as the sides. The trick is to just score the copper, not cut through the paper, so you can remove each plate with tweezers from the long strip. I have not tried using a ponce wheel to simulate the nails, but I am going to try that on my current build.

Ponce wheels are available from a place like Micro Mark.  They come in various tooth/inch sizes.  If you intend to use the tape there is an excellent tutorial right here on MSW by Gene Bodnar under framing and planking..... Copper Sheathing a Hull.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie - How did a fly boy get to be such an expert ship builder?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Do you do any prep or sealing on the planks before applying the copper tape? Or does it adhere well to the wood?

Ken

Ken

my experience is :

sand the planking to smooth and step free condition

sweep off the dust with a brush thorrowly and also by using a clean Cloth

apply 2 coats of nitro based clear Wood primer, (Nitro Einlassgrund)that drys within 3 minutes leaving a dull smooth shiny but dense Wood surface. No sanding afterwards !!! That is the best surface base for applying the tape

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Floyd,

Whats wrong with being a Flyboy? LOL. You must have been a Marine LOL. I just couldn't let that go by, no disrespect to the Marines or any other Military person, just had to put my 2 cents in.

USAF 72-76

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Question regarding copper plates.  The models I have seen don't seem to overlap the plates. Is there a reason behind this or am I just not looking are the pictures hard enough? 

I also saw that someone mentioned using a hot glue gun to attach the plates.  I am finishing up my Phantom Pilot boat and am thinking of using plates. 

Although I did find some copper tape that was 1/8" wide and was a lot easier to cut into 1/4" lengths then cutting the supplied 1/4" wide tape into 1/8" wide plates.  I was able to borrow the Admirals scrapbooking cutting wheel and plastic square to speed things up a lot.  I will have to post a picture because it really did speed things along.

Bart,

when using this self adhesive copper tape and the poncewheel method, of course the ponced, plate resembling strip lengths are each overlapping the edge of the last one below and the one horizontaly placed before.

The strips are only ponced in two outer lines, the other two get their poncing from the next Strip wich covers (by overlapping ) in the appropriate positions.

The overlapping is not so easy when you use machine prefabricated platings

Hope this ia understandable

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi shipmates,
I finished today to coppering my Connie with copper-tape. I used a poncewheel in the rear face of the tape, to relief the heads of the rivets.
Now the problem is to make old the copper.

I tried with 30% hydrochloric acid only, with ammonia only, hydrogen peroxide, and sodium hypochlorite

Best results is using first a cotton swab with 30% hydrochloric acid, followed by a second swab with ammonia.

The contact time of the acid -swab must be short, otherwise it corrodes the copper. (first test upward)

Immediately after you have to put ammonia with another cotton swab.

I did several tests (as in the photo) and it can get a nice blue-green shades....

During tests, I've seen smoke after the contact between acid and ammonia. Don't breathe it, because it is toxic.

post-410-0-84814400-1394295478_thumb.jpg

Edited by fabius.b

current build:   USS Constitution cross section - U.S. Navy Frigate 1797

Hi Fabius,

Looks like greater experimental toxic mixes you are composing. I can firmly feel the toxic vapours coming in my nose as I read your lines. But it Looks great.

Trust you shall be using all necessary protection measures for your health and safety.

The more I read and see about oxidizing the copper the more I am thinking about doing so on my Pegasus hull as well. It provides that nice dry dock hull apeal after serving several years in the salty ocean

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The most interesting thing is that if you make a mistake or do not like, you can always go back the cotton swab with the acid and start over.

I protect my eyes and my face with a mask, and try it outdoor  ;)

Edited by fabius.b

A safer method is to use selinic acid or vinegar.  It will take longer but is a bit safer and more healthy for you.

David B

What is selinic acid?  I must try with vinegar, before other method

Consider that using  30% hydrochloric acid and ammonia is fast and safe, if you use it outdoor, and protected by a mask.

You don't have to put your face over and it is not explosive.

Edited by fabius.b

Selinic acid ia a mild acid used to remove dead skin.  Such as Dr. Scholls wart and callus remover.

It may take a little longer but you do not need a mask

David B

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of weathering copper, I remember reading somewhere an eye witness description of the fleet heeled over, sailing down the channel into a low sun. The writer remarked on the glitter from the copper. Apparently when at sea, unless on the dreaded blockade, the motion of salt water on the coppering kept it shiny.

F

Does the vinegar make your build smell?  Does it go away over time?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 6 years later...

I have plated my model of USS Constitution with copper foil, overlapping the small plates. It came out very nice, but is a bit fragile and is starting to lift in some places as I continue my build. I need to secure these plates so they are less fragile. I see mention of using CA to seal the edges. Could you advise me how to apply? Will a Q-tip damp with ca and capillary action allow enough to seal these lifting plates? I already used CA to attach brass strips over the copper for the rudder. Thank you for your help.

On 3/9/2014 at 4:20 AM, dgbot said:

Selinic acid ia a mild acid used to remove dead skin.  Such as Dr. Scholls wart and callus remover.

It may take a little longer but you do not need a mask

David B

Dgbot,

I think you might have a nomenclature problem here.   I think what you mean is salicylic acid.  By "Selinic acid" I think you mean selenic acid which is a more oxidized form of the selenium dioxide (or selenious acid) which we use to blacken brass.  Both of these chemicals are quite toxic but salicylic acid is relatively harmless.

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

Found this DIY for oxidizing copper.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

8 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Found this DIY for oxidizing copper.

Perfect.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild