Bounty Launch by alde - Model Shipways - Small

That looks nice and symmetrical. Did you gain the extra plank length you needed at the transom?

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

I wish I could say I was totally happy with this but here is my fully planked hull, warts, bumps and all. As you can see I have done some filling and sanding but it's still not very smooth. I have since given it a quick shot of grey primer and it looks a little better. Any suggestions on smoothing it up better? I do like the fact that the plank seams show.

post-9975-0-90348400-1394521115_thumb.jpg

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Alde, if it's not smooth then sand it even more :) When I sanded my hull, I used successively finer grades of sandpaper - 80, 120, 180, 240, 400, 800, and then finished with 1200. The coarser grades (80 and 120) are only used for removing material. Be careful, because they may leave gouges in your wood.

Edited by Amfibius

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Alde,

You've made some real progress there. To be honest with ya, I can see the bumps a little. And, yeah, I get that you'd probably like to get her looking smoother. Other than echoing what Keith says above, if you find than certain parts are becoming a little too thin and you are concerned about holes appearing from sanding too much, then, just maybe you might consider the post I added here a page back. 

It will mean more work and MORE sanding, but hopefully you'll end up with your hull looking the way you would like it to. 

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Alde, another thing you can try is to scrape the planks with a scraper, especially the seams between planks. I used a #11 X-Acto blade that I held perpendicular to the hull to remove bumps and I was pleased with the way it worked. Then I sanded it like Keith and Steve suggest.

Thanks for the tips. I think having a bit of primer on will help me just take down the high spots. I will also make a bunch of sawdust from my scrap to use as filler. It looks a lot better with the primer on.

I think where I got into trouble was the first bulkhead didn't quite touch the planking in some cases. This made the planks want to curl under a bit. It looks ok on the inside so if I get outside looking good with filling and sanding all will be good. Keep an eye on that CaptainSteve. You might have to add some material to the first bulkhead for the planks to flow.

Al D.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

I think where I got into trouble was the first bulkhead didn't quite touch the planking in some cases. This made the planks want to curl under a bit. It looks ok on the inside so if I get outside looking good with filling and sanding all will be good. Keep an eye on that CaptainSteve. You might have to add some material to the first bulkhead for the planks to flow.

Actually, you don't. This suggests to me that your planks should have been placed further aft. Too late for that now - as long as the planks reach the transom you should be fine. When I placed my planks, I clamped the fore end to the bow and stretched the plank till it overhung the transom. Each plank was tight to the bulkhead, and if it wasn't - I shaped it.

Anyway, you might be doing something right because you completed your planking without having to use any stealers. I did :(

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

All planks did overhang the transom. I guess they could have gone further aft but I probably didn't take enough care in bending the planks to the correct shape. They have to make a pretty tight twist at the bow so the edges all line up. I know it's not a problem with the kit as it looks like other people did not have this trouble. I did get buy without a stealer though.

I have learned a lot to carry over to my next build. The best thing is I am looking forward to the next one after this one if done. I am having a blast with it and look forward to the time at the workbench.

Al

Current Builds:

I made a bit of progress on the hull. With a bit of filler, some sanding and a bit of primer it's looking better. I'm not sure I want to go much further on the sanding and such. It could be better but I'm happy with it so far.

post-9975-0-92862900-1394908862_thumb.jpg

post-9975-0-61396300-1394908875_thumb.jpg

Al D.

Al

Current Builds:

She came right off the mould with no problems. It inside looks pretty decent without too many weird spots. There is no excess glue to speak of and it feels really solid. I also didn't notice any tendency to spring to a wider dimension like some others have reported. I think the people that had this happen used one cherry stick for one continues frame.

post-9975-0-77197000-1394911850_thumb.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

That's looking good, Alde. But I do hope you are wrong about the continuous frames causing the hull to bulge out.

I removed a few frames from mine to re-do (as they didn't conform to the jig closely enough for my complete satisfaction) and, even though I am making full-frames, the overall U-shape held quite well.

As my bone pile grows, I am starting to worry if I'll have enough cherrywood to do the cant and 'tween frames.

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Steve,

I don't have enough cherry wood to complete the tween frames and had to request some from Model Shipways. They did send the order out within a couple of days of the order but you being in Australia I'm sure it would take a while for you to get them. You may want to put in a request sooner than later unless you have a good local source.

I don't think you will have any trouble the the hull springing wider as long as you bend the frames tight to the forms.  

Al

Current Builds:

Now that was close. When I ordered extra cherry sticks I asked for 5 or 6. The sent me 6 and I used a full five. These seemed more brittle than the ones that came in the kit. The sticks in from of the boat are breakage. This also again illustrates the need for more clamps than you think you need.

post-9975-0-97756900-1394938693_thumb.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

A big hello from a fellow "glue remover and redoer" :)

What a great recovery you have made and I hope you are proud of how your Bounty Launch is looking now?  I think it looks great!

Thank you for all of the pics and information. I really am amazed at the amount of breakage but from what I read it is expected and planned for.

Thanks Bindy. It can be hard to make the decision to take apart a couple of days of work but it's worth the effort to at least try to do it right. 

Al

Current Builds:

Al, she's looking really good. I should probably tell you that when mine came off the frame, the first thing I did was to check if it was the correct width (given that all the other build logs reported that she became wider). It was 100% correct. SOMEHOW, over the next few days she became wider! In the end, I fixed the width problem by using the thwarts to hold the boat together, although I did have to fabricate a few new thwarts. I used clamps to squeeze the hull together and then made sure the thwarts were glued solidly in. Just something for you to watch out for.

Regards, Keith

The Sheer Clamps have been installed and the Thwart Risers are clamped in place for forming. They will be installed tomorrow. No Treenails on this one for me. At this stage in my building experience I just want to get one under my belt. As I learn more and gain more confidence I will strive for more detail. Right now it's just learning the basics. I have to say that this is a whole lot more fun for me than plastic. 

post-9975-0-63250100-1395203911_thumb.jpg

Al D.

Al

Current Builds:

You are steaming ahead, Alde !!

She's looking very good indeed.

(I'm stuck on mine at the moment until I can get to the hardware store to stock up on a few things)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank you CaptainSteve. I was anxious to get the hull off the mold and I may have rushed that part but now that it's free I find myself slowing down and taking more care. It's hard to break from the habit of wanting to get things done but that doesn't work well with this hobby. I look down the road at some of the ships I would like to build and can see they could take a couple of years or more and they are kits. I would ultimatley like to scratch build a British Light Frigate or a Swan Class Sloop or something similar. The Model Shipways Constitution is in my sights though. It may not be the next one but after 2 or 3 smaller kits it may be time to jump in the deep end of kit building.

Al

Current Builds:

Here are the latest pictures of my Bounty Launch project. I have installed the floors and they were a bit more of a challenge than I expected. They were not difficult by any means but I could not thing of a good way to clamp them so I went with the Super Glue method. I'm pretty happy with the results. Stain is next after a good going over to get rid of any glue spots and do a bit of sanding.

post-9975-0-61961000-1395523229_thumb.jpg

post-9975-0-85007300-1395523236_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al D.

Al

Current Builds:

That's really looking good.

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

It looks like I'm suffering "Short Thwart Syndrome". There is no squeezing the hull to fit the thwarts so we will have to make some new ones.Should be simple enough but I will have to pick up a sheet of basswood. It doesn't look like there is enough on the leftover part sheets. It looks like I will have to make all but the forward most and stern thwart.

I did stain the interior of the hull using Minwax Vermont Maple (water base) stain. I like the color for the interior of the boat and am pretty happy with the way it came out.

post-9975-0-72090900-1395642562_thumb.jpg

Al D.

Al

Current Builds:

I did warn you about the short thwarts ;)

Anyway she's looking beautiful. So clean, so neat, so sharp. Well done!

Regards, Keith

That sounds pretty painful Alde.  Good luck with your recovery :P

The interior and floors of your Bounty Launch do look great though!

It's not too painful Bindy. Recovery should be pretty quick. Besides, it gives me a reason to use my new mini table saw on a real project. Thanks for the kind words.

I did warn you about the short thwarts ;)

Anyway she's looking beautiful. So clean, so neat, so sharp. Well done!

You sure did. It seems like a common problem. MS should make them too long to be fitted. I really don't think my hull sprung to a wider dimension.

Could you cut down the longest ones to make shorter thwarts?

With the belaying pin holes and such I could possibly get 2 by re-using the kit parts. I will do that if possible though.

Al

Current Builds:

Disaster has been thwarted. It was sure nice cutting these longer pieces on the new mini table saw. Here the new thwarts are just dry fitted and ready for final details and shaping.

post-9975-0-12938500-1395790687_thumb.jpg

Al

Current Builds: