Bounty Launch by alde - Model Shipways - Small

Nice save, Alde. I'll be watching out for this problem !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Disaster has been thwarted. 

:D  :D

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

I have made a bit of progress. The hull is painted and came out pretty decent. I brush painted it but next time I will use the airbrush.post-9975-0-61800800-1396396658_thumb.jpg

I also installed the gunwales, thwarts and mast partners. I glued up the gunwales over the plans in accordance with the instructions but they were too narrow to fit the hull and broke while trying to make it fit. Four hands, several rubber bands and pencils were needed to hold it down. I used wood glue and tacked it in place with some super glue.

post-9975-0-58909500-1396396937_thumb.jpg

The mast partners were pretty easy and straight forward and seem to look ok.post-9975-0-26134200-1396397014_thumb.jpgpost-9975-0-88960400-1396397020_thumb.jpg

Al D.

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Thanks Bindy, I really appreciate it. It's really inspirational to have friends along for guidance and some good natured fun. I am really looking forward to your Surprise.

Al

Current Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have been able to work on the Bounty Launch but here is a wee bit of progress.

Here is the Rudder Hardware. I enjoyed making these. The soldering went very well and the Birchwood Casey Brass Black worked very well.

post-9975-0-18934800-1398313424_thumb.jpg

Here is the Rudder and Tiller. The Rudder needs a bit of touch up in this picture.

post-9975-0-44122500-1398313528_thumb.jpg

Here is the Rudder mounted.

post-9975-0-54916400-1398313587_thumb.jpg

In between I wanted to do something a bit different so I assembled one of Chuck Passaro's cannons. I made the rings by looping 28 gage wire around a small drill bit and gluing the twisted end into a hole drilled in the wood. Not too bad for the first try. :pirate41:

post-9975-0-18242800-1398313811_thumb.jpg

More soon, Al

Al

Current Builds:

Good to have you back, Alde, and nice work on the rudder.

Where are you going to mount the cannon ??

Personally, I reckon if Bligh had one of Chuck's cannons, the whole Mutiny thing could've played out a whole lot differently !!

:P  :P  :P

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Good to have you back, Alde, and nice work on the rudder.

Where are you going to mount the cannon ??

Personally, I reckon if Bligh had one of Chuck's cannons, the whole Mutiny thing could've played out a whole lot differently !!

:P  :P  :P

Thanks CaptainSteve, It's good to be back. As far as the cannon goes, I have no plans for it. I ordered some rigging line and blocks for the Launch and added a set of barrels and carriages to the order for the fun of it. They are the correct size for my next kit, the Armed Virginia Sloop. The kit parts are fine but Chucks are better.

Did you ever find your Brass Black? You can find the Birchwood Casey stuff on-line but the shipping may be way high for you.

Al D.

Al

Current Builds:

Nope. Haven't looked any further into getting the Patina/Brass Black as yet. Will be taking holidays in a few weeks ... AND doing the house-move thing.

So, once that's all out of the way, I'll consider adding to the clutter that is my work-space. 

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Just sensational. A treat for us viewing here.. I commend you on your beautiful workmanship. Regards Oliver

Thank you for the kind words. I just had a look at your Mermaid and it's fantastic. I am looking forward to following your build to the end.

Al

Current Builds:

I got a little time over the last couple of evenings to make a little headway. I wish I had paid more attention to the sanding on the masts. They are a bit rough and maybe should have been tapered more.  It's amazing how quickly the the work surface can get messy. :)

post-9975-0-06224300-1398468589_thumb.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

A busy work surface means you MUST be having fun!

Fantastic work on the rudder and tiller!  That really looks just perfect.

However, I am a bit cranky with you as after reading through your last couple of posts and seeing how good they really are, I now have to go and buy a bunch of Chuck Passaro's cannons haha

Thanks Bindy, I have been having a great time building my first kit and am looking forward to the next one. I am not as ambitious as you with the Surprise though. I am going for something a bit simpler for my first rigged ship. I am doing Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop next.

Chucks parts are fantastic. I got some of his rigging blocks and rope too. It's much better that kit parts.

Al D. 

Al

Current Builds:

Alde,

Your launch is looking beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the final model.

- Tim

Thanks Tim. I think it will go a long way in building my confidence for my next project.

Al

Current Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted to my log for quite a while because I have not had much time to do any work on the Launch but I did manage to make the sails and taper the spars. The instructions show both sewn sails and faked lines with a pencil. I opted to go with the simple method and it turned out ok. The lines are a bit darker then I would have liked but I can live with it. I still have to put the reef points on the sails and the cleats on the spars. I also did the edges of the sails with fray stop. I hope to have them rigged over the weekend but we'll see.

post-9975-0-45780400-1399666218_thumb.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I have been at the work bench or the computer but I have made a bit of progress on the Launch. I have started the rigging and got a new toy. I got this serving machine from one of sponsors, Domanoff's Workshop. I know there is very little rigging on this boat to justify a serving machine but what a great tool it is. Very well made and works like a champ.

post-9975-0-67212200-1401137120_thumb.jpgpost-9975-0-36939800-1401137140_thumb.jpg

I hope to get the rigging done in the next few days and move on to the other details.

Al D. 

Al

Current Builds:

• 9 months later...

It sure has been a long time since I have been able to join you all in your builds or work on my project. I hope everybody is well. I have had some family issues but things are settling in a bit now. I may not get back to my boat right away but hope to look in on what's going on and maybe ask a few questions. I will need to re-learn some stuff and get back into the swing of things.

Al

Current Builds:

Al, good to see you back. I, too, am building a Bounty Launch, though I'm only at the start of planking.. So, I've been reading all the MSW build logs. All have useful techniques. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Al

I just found your log, very nice job so far.  Nice to see you're back....I'm looking forward to seeing the completed model.

I've got my hands full with my HMS Bounty right now, but I plan to build the Launch to accompany the display at some point.

Thanks for taking the time to maintain the log.

Regards,

Boyd

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Al !!! Good to see you back at your work-bench !!

(PS: I still haven't finished !!)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

It's great to be back. It's still going to be slow going for a while though. Time is just not mine right now. Life always seems to get in the way of the fun stuff.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

• 1 year later...

Well the time you spend on the project is paying off in dividends...... :piratetongueor4:

Great job.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Well the time you spend on the project is paying off in dividends...... :piratetongueor4:

Great job.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I need to get back to this one and finish it off.

Al

Current Builds: