Gunboat PHILADELPHIA by Chuck Seiler - Scale 1:48 1776 Scratch from MS Plans

Mark,

I understand and appreciate.  Thanks.  I am trying to remain realistic.  Beside, the feedback I am getting from this group, folks at the Fair and even some of those who placed ahead of me is worth more than the actual ribbon.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Mike,

Thanks, I appreciate it, particularly since (a) you have seen it up close, (2) you are an accomplished modeler and ©you took 1st.

Well, it's on to PROVIDENCE (which you will see Sunday).

(I guess I can change my signature now to indicate "PHILLY-Completed")

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hello Chuck, I just discovered this build log this morning, Beautiful job , looks  Awesome , Great Workmanship. Hats off

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete. You arrived just in time for closing.

Actually, some time after July 4th I will get the model back from the County Fair and will install: Sweeps rack, sweeps, folded awning, add 3 more swivel guns, add a few more rope coils (can never have too many rope coils). I am debating whether or not to add barrels, crates, etc.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck, most people who travel I-95 back and forth to Florida tell me they remember Lumberton because it is the first southbound town in NC after passing all the SOB signs.....(for those scratching their heads, SOB stands for "South of The Boarder".... A real eye catching tourist trap sitting on I-95 right on the SC boarder)

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I remember SOB.  Signs northbound all the way from Florida and Southbound from Virginia.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Bart,

I have added it to my list of things to do if I ever get back east again.  I am glad that I have had an opportunity, along with other PHILLY builders, to bring this little known part of American history to people's awareness.

Chuck

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Great article in the latest Ships in Scale Magazine about building Philadelphia.

Bob

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale

Bob:

The build in SiS is mine and Chuck and I have been sharing comments privately.  I decided to duplicate the replica boat at the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum and have applied a finish to the exterior and interior as the boat at the Museum has.  Chuck thought I was nuts to "weather" a boat that lasted just a few months before being sunk until I explained my reasoning.  He may be right about being nuts - I do build model boats....

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt,

I don't know how far along you are.  If you get a chance, take a gander at the rigging plan.  Does the location of the top yard lift blocks look right to you?  I think when I get my PHILLY back, I will move that up the mast another 1/4" or so. 

Bob,

Kurt was going for the "under the water for 150 years" weathering.  :-)

Chuck

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I will be looking at the rigging real soon.  Just starting the dead eyes today.  Will let you know what I think about the lift blocks later.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

Absolutely, ask away.  Keep in mind this is scratch, not kit, so some of the process will be different.

For reasons to be outlined in a future post, I will probably build/start a build log on the PHILADELPHIA kit myself, so I will be more familiar with the actual kit build.  My plan is to substitute boxwood for most of the basswood planking and 'stuff'.  I also plan on 'correcting' some of the issues I found. 

--If you check out the Smithsonian link I posted earlier, you will see the virtual 3D Philadelphia.  It indicates that the bulkhead behind the forward platform is either non-existent or not a full bulkhead and that there is access under the platform.  I plan to model that in there. 

--In the kit/plans it appears the bailing well/bailing pit has four walls.  It makes sense that the well would have free access to the whole bilge so water in the ship could be removed.  It seems that all or some of some of those would be gone.  Again, I polan to model those.

One thing you should start thinking about up front...how do you plan on displaying the model.  As I was completing the model and was getting ready to mount it, I found I did not have anything to anchor the pedistals to...so a big gob o' glue is holding them in. 

Start a build log and i will come over.  I suspect some of my followers will come as well.  I believe Kurt Van Dahm, who is doing the Ships in Scale build checks us out from time to time.  Maybe he will check yours out as well.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

To all my faithful followers and lurkers....

It has been awhile since I posted in earnest, so I figured I would give an update.  My intent was to get the model back from the Fair on 07 July, then get to work wrapping it up, culminating in one final photo shoot.  I still need to add the awning, sweep rack and sweeps.  I had been grinding away at either getting PHILLY ready for the Fair, workingon the project I was working on at the Fair or working AT the Fair almost every weekend since February.  I figured I would take some time off to do some summery stuff before I finex'd.

As it turns out, one fellow seemed to like my model (among others) and indicated he was interested in purchasing it.  I think I will encourage him to be a judge next year.  It was kind of a waffley interest, but interest all the same.  When I spoke to him, I told him that unless he was REALLY set upon that model, I was reluctant to sell it, since I had gorwn more attached to it (and I had not really intended to sell it anyway, but $1100 is $1100).  In his offer he had mentioned a commission.  I suggested that in lieu of my scratch Philly, I build a heavily bashed kit, with all the planking, major timber and rigging replaced.  He is considering it.

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks.  This option gives me the opportunity to build Philly again, fixing problems I had before, in a bigger (more managable) scale and with some templates I didn't have before.  My thought is that if the person does not want to buy it, I can enter it into the Fair next year and see if I can sell it.  The issue with keeping that model and selling the scratch one (aside from emotional attachment) is that a case for the larger one will  cost me a fortune. 

The downside to all this is I will NOT be able to spend time on the project(s) I had hoped to complete (Continental Sloop Providence).  We shall see.  At any rate, I have the kit and I expect to start sometime in August.  Keep your one good eye peeled for my Build Log up in the kit section.

kirkout

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

Mark,

Thanks for your kind words.  Sometimes ya just gotta do things other than just plain work.  Sometimes you have to break away from modeling for awhile, as well. 

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck:

Lumberton, NC.....Yes, on I-95 - only 15 miles from SC state line. Most people remember all the S.O.B. billboards promoting "South of The Boarder" (a real tourist trap.

Enjoyed your build and your hilarious comments. Hope you are planning another project in the near future.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave,

Thanks for the kind words.  I will be wrapping this Philly up some time soon.  I have basically been languishing and working on other projects.  Philly 2 will be starting up on the kit side soon.  I noticed you have found that site. 

Steve Y is starting up a Philly kit as well, so hopefully you will be able to watch them come together, side by side (huh?).

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Mike,

Thanks.   I saw...HMY FUBBS.

It looks like 3 of us are building PHILLY at 1:24 scale.  I think you need to build WASHINGTON in that scale and we can field a whole fleet.  :-)

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild