Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thimble help needed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Senior ole salt

Senior ole salt
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationHamden CT
One particular detail that is giving  me trouble on my New Bedford whale boat has me stumped.
That's the thimble needed to furnish a tying point for the boat's erected mast shrouds.
It needs to be about 1/8" inside dia.

W boat thimble fabrication.jpg

W boat Round thimble.jpg

I tried the method outlined in Mr. Ronnberg excellent book but it doesn't work for me. Are there any other methods to achieve making this round thimble ?

Thanks

S.os

• Archi likes this

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

Hi S.o.s. - could you please advise exactly what part of the process is not working? 

If you find that the split tube sides are collapsing when bending, then you could try putting a bit of wire (same OD as the ID of the tube) into the channel as you bend it and that might help. 

If it is that you cannot obtain/bend a circle around the pliers perhaps a temporary jig using an old/broken drill bit of the appropriate OD, set into a wood offcut (secured to the bench or a vice), around which to form the ring might assist - similar to making wire rings.

These two ideas can work together as a combination as I have used them successfully but I was using copper not aluminium.

I hope this helps?

Pat

Edited by BANYAN, 24 February 2014 - 11:11 PM.

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch) - underway

Next builds:    HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin 1:350)

Built:                Battle Station (Scratch)

HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (1:64)

jud

jud
  • Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationLexington, Oregon

Only way I can see to do it is to use sheet brass well annealed and just long enough to match the ID wanted and wide enough plus a little of the OD of the channel, form it and leave it on the inside forming tool. Then tightly wrap a wire the diameter matching the ID of the channel and peen the flat ring over that tight wire from both sides. probably need to fabricate a jig and  turn the ring in the jig at least once. Only way I know that you can stretch metal into the shape shown in your sketch. Or make it from a rod on a lathe.

jud

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

I don't know if this would be the right size or not for your needs, but steel guitar strings have something very similar to a thimble in one end. You probably can modify one of those to fit your needs. It'll cost you a few pennies to research that. ;)

• bhermann likes this

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,765 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

Another method for making thimbles is to cut short pieces off a suitable brass or copper tube. File these flat to the same length in a jig. (This is simply a piece of wood of suitable thickness with holes drilled through.) Place the piece of tube on a hard metal surface and use a centre punch to flare one side of the thimble. Turn it over and flare the other side in the same way. It will take a little experimentation to get the correct strength of 'punch' to do the job.

AntonyUK

AntonyUK
  • Members
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationIvybridge, Devon, UK
Hi.
Use annealed copper tube of the correct size.
Fill with casting sand(very fine sand). And block the ends.
Bend around a bar of the required diameter. Can use heat if required.
Bend as many turns as required.
Remove the sand.
Cut to make rings.
Then grind outer part away.

Regards Antony.
Edit -: Turn it on a lathe.

Edited by AntonyUK, 25 February 2014 - 04:47 PM.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask"

Working on scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32
Starting shortly. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral.
Compleated The Black Pearl fun build
Compleated A large scale Victory cross section 1/36

Senior ole salt

Senior ole salt
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationHamden CT
Thanks for all the good tips in solving my problem.  I decided to go with the simplest, a kind of a combination of the suggestions above that is:  Take a strip of copper (soft) cut about 3/32 wide and suitable length to make the desired eye. I filed one end to a sort of blade or better yet a "scarf". I then bent it around a twist drill with a 1/8" overlap. I then sodered the assembly together.

To mount it in place on the model I first formed the rope grommet,and seized it in the "thimble with thread.  Right now it resides P & S on the model . If you look real close you can see the thimble has no flange, but tell anybody. ^_^

Thanks  Pat,Jud,Ulises,Bart,Druxley,Antony

S.os

• AntonyUK and jud like this

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

michael mott

michael mott
  • Members
  • 3,570 posts
  • LocationLake Wabumun, Alberta, Canada

take a look at this thread  and here scroll down to the bottom of the page where I show a step by step method for making thimbles

post-202-0-11669300-1371531056_thumb.jpg

I made a thimble for the 1/16th cable first I filed a couple of grooves at each end I annealed the centre part only and shaped the thimble using the same tools and methods as before

post-202-0-49109800-1371531057_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-21270100-1371531059_thumb.jpg

At the moment it is attached to the bowsprit end cap but it will be attached to a traveler on the bowsprit, so that it can be hauled it to change sheets.

post-202-0-43288600-1371531060_thumb.jpg

Michael

• WackoWolf, garyshipwright and Q A's Revenge like this

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8

Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500

Maria, Sloop 1:2

Restoration      A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

grsjax

grsjax
  • Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationBig Island, Hawaii

Hi.
Use annealed copper tube of the correct size.
Fill with casting sand(very fine sand). And block the ends.
Bend around a bar of the required diameter. Can use heat if required.
Bend as many turns as required.
Remove the sand.
Cut to make rings.
Then grind outer part away.

Regards Antony.
Edit -: Turn it on a lathe.

You can also use low temperature melting metals to fill the copper tube and when finished forming heat the copper to remove the core metal.

Edited by grsjax, 01 March 2014 - 10:49 PM.

• jud likes this

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

capnharv2

capnharv2
  • Members
  • 787 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound

What about 2 brass eyelets (of the correct ID) soldered back to back?

Thanks,

Harvey

• tkay11 likes this

grsjax

grsjax
  • Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationBig Island, Hawaii

Read this somewhere many years ago.  Take rosin core solder of the correct size, split down one side and remove the rosin, bend into the thimble shape and you'r done.  Never tried this myself so have no first hand knowledge but it sounds like a workable idea.

• Senior ole salt likes this

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Senior ole salt

Senior ole salt
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationHamden CT

grsjax,  Sounds good. Wish I thought of it sooner. Thanks

S.os

Thanks

S.O.S.

jdbondy

jdbondy
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

DSC_1178 (1024x685).jpg I recently had great success turning some small thimbles, with an outer diameter of 0.050" and inner diameter of 0.031". I will try to do a fresh post later today describing the process. Above is a picture of the (unblackened) finished product.

• mtaylor likes this

JD

Current build: Pride of Baltimore 2

Previous builds:  Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

jdbondy

jdbondy
  • Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Sorry, didn't mean for that picture to be quite so big...

JD

• mtaylor and Canute like this

JD

Current build: Pride of Baltimore 2

Previous builds:  Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.