18th Century Longboat by Chuck Seiler - Model Shipways

I have done more modeling than I have model photography. I took this pic t our Model Guild meeting.

post-1153-0-81312600-1368901013_thumb.jpg

Friese and lower rubrail added.

post-1153-0-00783300-1368901013_thumb.jpg

Here is a look at a proposed mounting scheme. Most people are using wire or thin tubing. As a contrarian, I am going with clunky. Whadya think? Book is not part of the base.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

My point was that I was doing alot of building (although not as much as I would like) and not very much photo documenting of same.   Altho, I admit that photo quality was a bit better.  You may not see it here, but if you blow it up it is noticable.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 8 months later...

Hey Chuck! No posts for almost a year? !! Is she done? What about the inside details and rigging? Thanks for the heads up on the stem. I will use some bamboo to add strength.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd/Bob,

No, it is not done.  I have made no further progress.  Our club's Evil Guildmaster  made me take over the club newsletter.  Then he threatened us with all sorts of mayhem if we didn't get 12 models entered into the county fair this year.  Oh the humanity!!!!!

Seriously though, I didn't like the way it was going and wanted to incorporate changes I had seen in other logs.  I had acquired a kit from one of our members who wanted to build, but ended up not being able to.   I am using the semi completed boat as a demo piece that people can hold and look at.

Meanwhile, build log for Gunboat Philadelphia has begun..........

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

If this Guildmaster is so evil, maybe he should stop getting elected.  :dancetl6:

Bob R.

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale

You have elections? WOW!! I have been President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, meeting host, & newsletter editor for 6 years. And I was never elected to any of these roles.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Perhaps I should have said "Beloved Evil Guildmaster".

We go thru the motions, but they are pretty much uncontested.

How many peeps in your club?  Wanna share newsletters?

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck and Floyd,

Here's a "nice place" to share them:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1394-monthly-local-club-newletters/  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark - I send my newsletter to Chuck P. Do I have permissions to post on the page you mention? I also send my newsletter to 6 different groups in the US.

To the Evil Guild master and his lackey :) - I send the newsletter to approx. 30 people in the area. we have about 10 who pay dues and most often we have 3 to 4 who regularly attend meetings.

As far as getting elected, the last 2 Presidents were tired of running the show asked me if I would consider the role and the rest is history. Of course back then we actually had a treasurer & newsletter editor. We used to have a large group more than 10 who attended every meeting. but most have retired from modeling or simply passed away. The Club has quite a large collection of fittings, wood, books that have been acquired over the years. We used to meet at the Naval reserve center and before that the local Coast Guard facility. Now it is my Garage.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Floyd,

I wasn't aware you sending it to Chuck.  He runs that topic and can post it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just havent had time to take care of that topic lately folks.  I am stretched too thin.   Maybe soon or possibly I can find a volunteer.

:)

Mark,

I include Chuck P on my distro as well.  I understand he is a busy guy.

Floyd, send me your email address in a personal message if you want to get our newsletter.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

If you need a volunteer Chuck P.  send me a message.  I would be glad to help.

Bob R.

San Diego Ship Modelers' Guild
Nautical Research Guild

USS Constitution Ship Modelers Guild

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1:76 scale.

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Higaki Kaisen - Woody Joe - 1:72 scale

• The title was changed to 18th Century Longboat by Chuck Seiler - Model Shipways