Le Superbe by Lukasvdb - Heller - 1/150 - PLASTIC - First ship of the line ever built

thank you all for your kind comments! :D it really gives me extra encouragement to bring this project to the next level! :)

Thank you for your constructive comment Doreltomin! The deck is all paint over plastic. The way heller made the lower gun deck, it was just a plain piece of plastic with 3 holes in it. I scribed all the planks in it and painted it. First a coat of black, then a light coat of gray, and then some random strakes of sand colour and earthbrown, then I gave it a wash with some thinned down brown paint :)

Ah yes, the problem with the masts, I know the foremast is a little bit warped but the main mast is straight, thank god :P I already addressed this problem a bit, I think the foremast is a little bit straighter but I will certainly try your tips! Thank you!

Cheers!

Edited by Lukasvdb

So the port side cannons are glued to the deck, the breeching ropes however are not yet finished but that will be for next week! So, as I like to display my models in a realistic way I went ahead and did a little water test. As you don't see many ship models actually on the water, I prepared mine so it can float :) Maybe she sits al little high for now but there's a lot more stuff to go on her :D

Enjoy!

post-1670-0-85635600-1402066280_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-61531000-1402066286_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-47635100-1402066293_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-79723000-1402066299_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-17306700-1402066307_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-43282100-1402066314_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-85878200-1402066318_thumb.jpg

Hey all, I have a question regarding the anchors. I'm at the stage where I will fit the anchor ropes. According to Heller's instructions there should be four ropes, I'm a little confused because on most (read almost all of them) models I only see two anchor ropes. Can anyone explain this to me? Or is this merely one of the differences between Britisch and French ships of the time?

Lukas, not sure I can comment definitively, but I would think there are different answers in differents scenarios.  I don't think that the 4 anchor hawse would have all been attached to the anchor all at the same time, maybe the two foremost being attached and the other anchors secured to the ship.  More anchor rope could have been used if there was a need to anchor also by the stern, but that was probably a rare event.  I'd suggest going with 2 ropes secured to the 2 forward most anchors.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you Jason for your constructive comment! As I am following Jean Boudriot's work I decided to go with four ropes, in the event this does not work out the way I want it to, I can always reduce the amount of ropes to two :)

I made some big progress today! I installed the upper gun deck, which normally is a very tricky job! I read on some other build logs that this is a process where a lot of stuff breaks off but there is a little trick to it. I sawed the dek in two, making it much easier to install. I did not dislodge any cannons and the wholes for the masts are still alligned :D

I also did a dry fit with the quarterdeck (?) and the ships boat (cutter?), it's looking good!

post-1670-0-49737800-1402495234_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-35078200-1402495242_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-86936300-1402495248_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-67774000-1402495254_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-68961400-1402495259_thumb.jpg

WOW, your model is already looking very good Lukas!

I myself didn't do such a good job with plastic ships :rolleyes:

Nick :cheers:

Model building Projects in progress:

- Hermione la Fayette, Artesania Latina:

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress :)

I installed eyelets on the upper whale, as this would be used as to hang off to paint or fix things around the hull. Did both sides and still need painting, but I kind of like this look. I have had trouble painting those brass eyelets because the paint doesn't adhere that well. Is there any blackening solution that could be recomended that is both cheap and efficient?

I also managed to put together a suiting figurehead as I don't like the one Heller supplied me with. It is a spartan from the 1/72 figurene set of indeed, spartans :D his left leg is fixed by now, it's more straight now, and looking as if he is pushing of off the ship, forward, in attack mode :P in his right arm there will be a lance or spear if you will :)

Also started putting together the canon for the upper gun deck :) gunbarrels are not yet cleaned up and drilled.

post-1670-0-99049000-1403272982_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-20944800-1403272987_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-65835100-1403272990_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-31775400-1403272994_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-10529500-1403272998_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-28783500-1403273001_thumb.jpg

Thank you B.E.! 

Thank you for the tip, but I think I like the British configuration better... I don't know why but it looks more professional to me :P It is more work but will give me greater satisfaction, I have no doubt about that :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Great build so far Lucas.  Love your rigging of the long guns, that must have taken ages and your painting is really crisp and precise. With that new figurehead she looks a dead ringer for Spartiate, a ship captured by the British at the Battle of the Nile in 1798. One thing if i might though, your anchor cable does look a tad overscale. P.S. I believe those front beams you asked about are actually called head rails.

Edited by algeciras1801

Regards, Algie

AKA Tony

Thank you for your kind comment algeciras! I have a lot of patience and I used all of it, I was sometimes on the brink of a nervous brakedown though ;)

It's nice to know that my ship will have some historic value, haha :P 

The anchor cables... yes I was thinking the cables might be overscaled... The current thickness is 1,75mm, what would you think suit better, 1,25mm perhaps? I am still able to change it if I want to, I may be able to find suitable rope.

Grtz

Lukas, I'm not sure if you are aware of this but i've just noticed the pillars supporting the top deck in the waist of the ship (parts 145) are very close to the guns on the upper deck. I've moved mine so they are positioned mid way between each gun port. 

Edited by algeciras1801

Regards, Algie

AKA Tony

Thank you for the tip algericas! I already noticed this error and I am surely taking this into account. I will change the spancing as necessary.

PS: are you also following blue ensigns build on pete-coleman forum? It is a goldmine of tips for me! :D

good luck building!

Edited by Lukasvdb

• 8 months later...

Hi all!

Back again.

I have restarted work on le superbe once more. This time going all in :P I have added some detail by the steps at port- and starboardside: a rope for the sailors to hold on to when climbing up. From a close perspective, it does look a bit messy but it's better seen with the naked eye. Tying nots is still a challenge though. Does anyone have any tips on this subject?

I also ordered some 1,3 mm rope as anchor cable. Does look much better than the 1,7mm before!

The gun deck was also closed up (also a big leap forward in this build) with the forward piece to hold the bowsprit in place :)

I have also ordered some Black Brass to blacken the ring bolts. The ones that are installed already I'll leave on. But the result will be better than just being painted black :). Also for future projects (jolly roger) this product will come in handy!

Some pictures:

post-1670-0-18204600-1427996346_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-34244300-1427996444_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-42990100-1427996840_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-12853600-1427997084_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I want to let you know that I'm still working on this beauty. The 18 pounder cannons of the upper gun deck (is this correct?) are painted and ready to be rigged. I just need to add the breeching ropes. At this time I am installing the eyebolts in the inner bullwarks to attach all the rigging for the cannon.

Pics will follow this evening so please bear with me on this!

Greetings to all.

I installed eyelets on the upper whale, as this would be used as to hang off to paint or fix things around the hull. Did both sides and still need painting, but I kind of like this look. I have had trouble painting those brass eyelets because the paint doesn't adhere that well. Is there any blackening solution that could be recomended that is both cheap and efficient?

Lucas,   be aware that Heller intends those eyebolts to be the anchor points for the shroud deadeye chains.  Heller wants you to simulate the chains with line tied to those eyebolts.  It is too late for my build, but if I had known about it earlier I would not have installed these eyebolts and made proper chains with their anchor bolts and back links.  As it is now I will be soldering links together and fitting them in place after the channels and deadeyes are in place.  A much more fiddely task.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I built Heller's Victory 1/100 many years ago. I also built their Royal Louis in 1/200. It was a real pleasure. I hope you enjoy your build as much!

Best wishes.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thankt for the tip Popeye! I have already fill the holes where those eyebolts should go. I intend to make my own chainplates and chains instead of using the way heller suggested! I just don't like that :) I enjoy this build very much! It's a challenge but I learn so much!

So here are some pictures as promised! I finished the eyebolts for the cannons that will be visible. All the eyebolts are vertical now but I think there should also be some horizontal? Can anyone help me on this? I looked up some references and it seems that both all vertical or all horizontal or a mixture of both is common.

post-1670-0-74876200-1430858259_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-85933800-1430858262_thumb.jpg

So here are some pictures as promised! I finished the eyebolts for the cannons that will be visible. All the eyebolts are vertical now but I think there should also be some horizontal? Can anyone help me on this? I looked up some references and it seems that both all vertical or all horizontal or a mixture of both is common.

On my build I put the lower eyebolts aligned vertically to take the breeching.  Actually I used ring bolts.  The ring hangs naturally from a vertical eye.  On the upper eybolts I aligned them horizontally in order to drop the hook on the gun tackle into.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thank you dgbot! No I have never been to such a show but I would like to one day! Maybe when there's a big modeling convention in Belgium. We'll see :P would be nice to pick up some new techniques!

Thanks Henry, If you don't mind I will do this also but without the ring bolts. This scale and my skills don't yet allow this. I'm afraid that if I will try to do too much that I will burn myself on this build... But I will keep it in mind for my next build of Lindberg's Jolly Roger!

More pictures coming soon!