Le Superbe by Lukasvdb - Heller - 1/150 - PLASTIC - First ship of the line ever built

The trick is, that there are two rings being used: The eyebolt in the hull (usually vertical) and a ring 90° turned (usually horizontal) to which the breech or tackles are fixed ...

So what do you represent? The eyebolt or the ring ;-)

XXXDan

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Portside cannons installed!

I trying to rig the breeching ropes but I'm having a lot of trouble doing this in an unmessy way... can anyone help me with this before I proceed with the other cannons? It would be very helpful! Is there any tutorial available on how to tie off these breeching ropes?

Thanks!

post-1670-0-22459500-1431272877_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-04452200-1431272879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lukasvdb

Not sure if it helps you now Lucas, but I've found that if you seize the breech ropes to the eyelets off the model, you have more control over the end result.  The eyelets can then simply be glued into pre-drilled holed once the guns are placed.  You did a great job with your second effort, looks so much better.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you Jason! It is too late to do this at this stage but I will defintely keep this in mind for the cannons on the quarterdeck, waist and forecastle. Still a long way to go but many thanks for the positive comment! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Just a quick update, all the breaching ropes of all 30 cannons have been installed with A LOT of patience but it worked out ok. I'm much more happy about the starboard side cannons than the port cannons. I used a different production process and to change the port side cannons would mean I would have had to rip out all the cannons again. But now at least I know which process to use on the guns for the small guns that will be fully visible. And that's what really matters right?

I have also upgraded the  capstan that was provided by heller. On the upper gun deck you are supposed to install a capstan also but this will not be visible in the end. So I have decided to use this capstan on the forecastle instead as it is much more better looking than that odd shaped thing that you are supposed to use... Pictures will follow!

Further work on the cannons is halted for the moment as I am waiting for some building materials to come in. In the mean time I'm doing some small things like painting & such.

Okay...,

so I officially have a problem...

I recently bought some new material, blocks etc, to rig the tackles for the cannons. Everything I use is massively over scale. Even the smallest blocks (2/2mm) are too big! Actually they are okay but the distance between the two blocks is just too small... It's not working! Aaaargh! I can't believe this. 

Does anybody have any tips? Any suggestion will be helpfull from here on, because I'm desperate!

Well done so far!

I think for this scale, faking would be a much more appropriate way ;-)

Here a nice version on a Airfix Prince. it is in german, but the pictures are sufficient I believe :-)

Also he gives a nice solution for the deadeyes a bit further on.

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hi Lukas, I only rigged the side tackles on the very small Foc'sle and Quarterdeck guns.

The only option for me other than driving myself mad was to fake the tackles.

006.JPG

I used  very small square section styrene rod (for the blocks) and very small gauge wire. (for the tackles) The wire was threaded thro' the  styrene and ca'd at the right distance apart. The wire was then used to form both the tackle lines and the hooks either end to attach to the gun and bulwark.

At the scale involved it worked for me.

B.E.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

B.E. your option looks really great. For the moment I have two possible scenario's in my head. Yours and one personal which involves 0,3mm eyelets converted to hooks, 0,1mm thread and some white glue to make blocks. 

I will try tonight! 

Thanks guys! Always stay positive! When something doesn't work, leave it be for a moment, think, take a few breaths and let the solution come to you :)

Hi Lukas,

Nice work and very pleasing indeed as finding blocks or even faking them at 1/150 scale is quite challenging, I'm afraid.

If I were in your place ( but you' re the captain )  why not use a smaller caliber of thread/wire ? As far as you can prevent the thread from twisting, of course.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Thanks Christian!

The problem is that is is the finest thread I have: 0,1mm but it thikker in reality I think... I have bought some copperwire of 0,3 mm which seems much finer that I am planning to use on the smallest cannons. The thread is fine for the 18 pounders and because it will be hard to see when it's all coverd up. I tried with the copper wire but I'm not experienced enough to handle it at this moment. That's why I decided to use the thread, for the sake of progress and avoiding frustration :P

Hi everyone,

possible last post for a couple of weeks, because I will move to my own place in two weeks.

I have gotten to a point where I can let the beauty rest for a while. I am happy with the progress!

This is how she is now:

post-1670-0-50693500-1435332314_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-23131500-1435427532_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-52224500-1435427534_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-35080800-1435427536_thumb.jpg

post-1670-0-33434500-1435427538_thumb.jpg

(mind that I still have to tidy up the ends of the tackles and stuff)

Thanks and see you in a couple of weeks!

grtz

Lukas

Edited by Lukasvdb

hello lukasvdb , just started following your build of the superbe you are doing a wonderful job ., I have just received mine , hope I can do as fine a job., I have also been following blue ensigns ., your right there is a gold mine of information there ., I really like your figure head ,  could you tell me , where you buy these from please ., cheer,s mate      steve.

Hi Steve,

Good luck with your build! I'm sure you will do a great job ;) just be patient and if you get frustrated or upset that something is not going the way you like to, let it rest for a while and continue a couple of days later. She is a beauty if you put some time and patience into her :) 

I bought the figures for the figurehead here:

http://www.amazon.de/Zvezda-500788068-Historische-Figuren-Set-Spartiates/dp/B004VUL24S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435694212&sr=8-4&keywords=zvezda+figuren

here you can see a very clear review: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=1848

I just combined some parts of different figures until I had one that was to my liking!

Regards,

Lukas.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

So I have finished rigging the cannons on the upper gun deck. Now I have to finish them off by making rope coils laid out on deck. Does anybody have an idea how to make them? I have tried but am not satisfied with the results.

Thanks!

Edited by Lukasvdb