H.M.S. Triton (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale, started by AL

Finally got those last 3 cannons painted!!! Been working on the Admirals newly acquired used flagship ( 1995 Ford Aerostar mini van ) and had to sneak in the paint job while taking a break from it.... LOL  She says I've done such a nice job on her flagship that I may get a promotion out of it..... LOL :)

post-11747-0-60652200-1401927980_thumb.jpg

H.M.S. Triton, 28 gun frigate (Cross Section) 1:18 Scale build in progress

Hey Buddy,

I thought you were down for the count and taking a break. Now that I know the Admiral gave a command, it is quite understandable. Speaking of Admirals, mine just gave the command that we are going shopping this weekend. Please pray for us sinners. LOL.

Ray......I'm still here in the shipyard , just got the Admiral's new flagship to fix up for her, so its going to be slow motion work on the cross section for awhile! 

AL

Al

Good Luck on the Flagship. Shame that you can't put it in your cnc machine as you would make some great parts for it.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks Tim! Its a shame her flagships is not an old Ford Woody!! A wood van..... I might be able to cnc some parts for but not this steel bucket... LOL

Got a little more done on the cannon carriages, added another part to em.  :cheers:

AL

post-11747-0-36857000-1402053384_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-76135100-1402053393_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-76633100-1402053403_thumb.jpg

I usually don't respond alot to build logs, I just look and hit the like button to let you know I am looking. (being new to this hobby) I don't have alot of knowledge that can be passed on. but your build log and the way your have went about it with the CNC machine and also the hand crafted part  is a real nice inspiration on how you can combine the new with the old. Really looking forward to more from you and will keep looking in. Have a Great Day

Edited by Pete38

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

• 2 months later...

Made a little progress on the fine tuning of the cannons.  I didn't have any solid wire in my wire collection but was in Walmart one day and found some 16ga. wire in the craft area.... it works great, solders good.

AL

post-11747-0-40149900-1409602765_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-62919000-1409602782_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-34753100-1409602797_thumb.jpg

Hey Al,

How are you Buddy. It's been a dog's age since I last heard anything from you. I was starting to worry that you've given up the ship. At this size, your eyebolts and rings will come in nicely. Hope to see more of your work.

Ray

Hey Ray!!! Great to hear from you also!! Yes, I'm still working in the shipyard, haven't given up yet.... LOL ;)   Just doing a lot of thinking on ways to deal with each new build session as it comes along.  Making very slow progress at it due to back pain problems but making some headway on this ship cross section.  Working now on getting these eyelets painted and inserted into the cannon frames, one at a time while trying not to chip the flat black paint off the eyelets as I push them in the tiny holes I've drilled.  So far I'm not 100% happy with the results, very hard to not chip the paint as you can see in these close up pictures. Yes.... I've thought of the gun blueing liquid and tried it but not happy with it either, not dark enough on this wire I'm using. I'll more then likely just do some touch up with a paint brush where I nicked the paint.

AL 

post-11747-0-71063200-1409711693_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-90721400-1409711705_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-24715600-1409711715_thumb.jpg

Hey Al,

I was thinking of your problem with not get the eyebolts dark enough. Did you try using a propane torch on them? Just get the eyelet red hot and then submerse them in ice water. It's the same thing they do when they forge/make horseshoes. It's just a thought Kemo-Sabe.

Ray

Only one problem with that Ray........ the eyelets are soft soldered (low heat) to close the loop!!! :o

Thanks for thinking on it!! ;) Me thinks this wire is not pure copper, it must be tin coated or something like that, it solders well enough but doesn't take to chemical baths too well it seems. I'm going with what I've got for now with paint on it.

AL

Al,

Are you pickling it in vinegar or muriatic acid?  You might even try running it through some 400 or 600 grit sandpaper before shaping it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No on the pickling, just a 10 min soak in Perma Blue which is probably the wrong stuff to use for this but since I had it figured I'd try it. The Perma Blue gives it a corroded rough look but doesn't turn it black.   

AL

post-11747-0-90997000-1409832021_thumb.jpg

post-11747-0-03770100-1409832030_thumb.jpg