Solder brass rod for deadeye

Dida:

When soldering the deadeye strops, do the soldering before the deadeyes are inserted. That way, they do not get burned. The strops should be flexible enough after annealing and soldering that you can easily slide the deadeye into the strop and then squeeze the strop around the deadeye.

Russ

Dida,

I had that, burning the brass, once with the deadeyes, but I diminished the flame and it worked well after that.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Dida,

I had that, burning the brass, once with the deadeyes, but I diminished the flame and it worked well after that.

Karl, not only you burned brass when I started soldering with a gas torch, at me it too sometimes occurred  :) 

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

• 9 months later...

Continuation

Hi Garward. Nice work sir and was wondering how do you make the round dome heads on the bolts?  Do you have a jig and is it possible for you to show how you make other metal fiitings also for your works? Am very interested in how the good folks of the site make different item's in metal and yours are high on my list. Thank you sir. Gary

I use a simple soldering iron - solder melts at an ideal temeperature of around 270C for soldering based my process control days in electronics for a lead solder, never used a flame yet and soft solder holds well enough if spotlessly clean before hand. 

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Hi Garward. Nice work sir and was wondering how do you make the round dome heads on the bolts?  Do you have a jig and is it possible for you to show how you make other metal fiitings also for your works? Am very interested in how the good folks of the site make different item's in metal and yours are high on my list. Thank you sir. Gary

Echo that Garward

we're waiting for your next tutors....