Trawler Syborn by popeye the sailor - 1:33 - Finished

thanks John.......'bout time I got the other net on there.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Oh wow - very nice Denis - glad you could find some more time to progress her.  That is one truly work like trawler!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Denis 

Very, very nice!  I can just picture Syborn chugging across the ocean, trawling backwards and forwards, forever chasing those elusive fish.  The seagulls would also be hanging out for a free feed...so watch out in case they leave their calling cards on the decks🤔  You wouldn't want to clean the decks unnecessarily😧  

All the best. 

Cheers

Patrick

thanks for the good word and the likes.....I'm glad your all enjoying the build :)   I wanted to take a few more pictures,  but the camera got hungry,  so I had to feed it  {sorry Pat}. ;) 

that's what the hoses are for Patrick :D    catch fish.......rinse.......repeat ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Tom :)    I hope to get more done on her this week.   still thinking of what to do with the stern...once I get mess'in 'round with it,  I'm sure it will come to me ;) 

the camera is fat and happy now.......the pictures I posted in the Thermopylae log is proof.   I took them this evening.   I took a couple more of the Syborn  for you to enjoy......I am pleased how they came out.

58ec2efe75a72_5.jpg.7150fadf2621e2c65ca5ee641b365260.jpg

58ec2f0c0fa34_6.jpg.705f8e52d805e34f425c413fbac766c9.jpg

58ec2f1974b53_7.jpg.e10647c10bc018fca0fb9cc889c786fa.jpg

can't wait to tackle that roof ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sweet, Denis.   Love the details.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thank you for the kind comments and hitting the like button :)    I really appreciate it........my pleasure for adding the extra photos.   I'll do my best to get an update going on her ;) 

I dunno Patrick.......I yain't the bess modeler,  but I does me bess!  AK-k-k-k-k-k!   I've done a few 'fashion shows' in the past with the Boulogne Etaples and her siblings.....her family has grown ;)  if there's a thread on this subject in shore leave or something......perhaps.  if not,  I'll PM you  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that's very kind to say TB :)    I think we ALL evolve........every new obstacle that we run into and solve,  gives us more insight as to what's possible.   this old dog is still learning new tricks ;) 

thanks for the likes everyone !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

to muse,  or not to muse..........awwww..heck with it.......let's muse :)    I mentioned in a few of my logs,  stuff that I had been play'in with.....put it down,  and now can't seem to find.   I had made a couple extra conveyors,  an engine block destined to become a Hemi engine,  a pair of wings {I still won't say what they are for}....and the roof to this blasted model!   I looked everywhere for them....I have a special plastic bag that I keep all these partially assembled parts in....nope!   the bottom compartment of my junk bin.....nada!   in any of the project boxes I may have opened  in the recent past, not a chance.   I decided to take Patrick'e suggestion he mentioned earlier......I haven't done a progress report on the Boulogne Etaples and her offspring in quite a while.......a year,  I suppose.  some have seen it already......thank you very much for look'in in.......other who haven't,  but wish to,  it's in the Boulogne build log.   I could have put it in the Holiday Harbor log,  but since I missed Mother's day,  I figured it fitting to post it with the Mother ship {if I'm not careful, the mother ship will come for me too}.   assembling all the ships for the shoot.......I found all my parts!......nestled on one of the decks of the covered hulls......which one eludes me {immaterial}....the fact remains that I am reunited with my trove!

59396972de049_lostparts.jpg.2388f0e02149dabb86da53f0df1a1ca3.jpg

now that the mystery is solved....I can put them somewhere else....and create another mystery!  :rolleyes: :ph34r:    not pictured here though......is the roof I made for the Syborn..........that's because,  I broke it!         since I made the second one,  I used that one instead......I broke the original one while fitting the brow.    the brow was made with some flexible cast off wood from the junk bin.   the sides are merely short pieces of planking.

593971841b552_1.jpg.02643a62fbeee90e243cdcc1dcb2917d.jpg

593971928b7fb_2.jpg.3fbb6446de5f634de0106a62d1deb97e.jpg

I wasn't sure how low the brow should be.   I may lessen it......it's in the planing phase still ;) 

59397250227da_3.jpg.d4c27e57df2de121a5d5ccc060cdb32f.jpg

5939725bbcc41_4.jpg.182cb90b793095c623d386bfa7e32d9c.jpg

5939726c50b63_5.jpg.76d3b2d98c456a437e683d5e9ff98400.jpg 

from here.......my musings took me elsewhere.   I decided to visit 'ole Thermie.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

Nice done, building so many at one time would never let me be so accurate!!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Hey howya goin Popeye mate, wow shes looking great.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Your trawler looks great Denis; ready to sail with the next tide.

cheers

Pat

thanks a bunch for the good word......and to those who hit the like button.   it's a start.......it needs to get off the table......it's so close towards being finished ;)    I'm thinking to make the brow a bit more oval,  rather than rounded....the front windows will be more visible.  I went on the porch to make sawdust......admiral's orders..

thanks again Gerhard,  John,  Eddie,  and Pat :)   I'll try to come up with an update soon  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

hello Lawrence!   thanks for the kind comment on the 'ole trawler :)    yea, she's close to being finished,  but it's just slow getting back to her.  I hope to soon.   sails.......yea.....I did that :D  not sure if it's detrimental on printers,  but the material I ran through there worked well.   I would say that it would be best to run the material through before they are cut out......you'd have a much easier time centering the image.   I have a few different grades of sail cloth.....without looking at the blog I did on embossing,  I likely used the cloth I got in the Gothenborg kit.   that stuff felt like canvas....not sure if it could be ordered through Billing's.   I haven't had the chance to try a second experiment on this,  but I would also think that other types of sail cloth would need to be stiffened,  prior to embossing.   this can be done with atomized white glue sprayed on the cloth,  light coat of lacquer,  or a light coat of decal bonder....I've used this product too and had some good luck with it.  it is a process......feeding it in square and trying not to allow it to pull the material,  are the two biggest things to watch out for.  let the image dry for a few hours before spraying it with another light coat of decal bonder {lacquer will work too}....but don't use anything water based,  or the image will run.   light coats is the rule here.....a second coat can be done later if you desire {they can even be shaped at this time}.   I will post the blog for anyone to view.   there are other blogs here as well that may be of interest.

https://wenzelswharftips.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/embossing-sails-part-1/

thanks for looking in Lawrence.........I wish I had info on using the pre cut sails for you.   it's nice to have an admiral that is willing to devote her time ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

a few updates ago,  I had chopped up some small dowel...diagonally cut bits and pieces.

59662a5c07c82_1.jpg.a950d1f39ba7301fc4c839d4e7467de6.jpg

these have been hanging around on my table.   I had done this to create the vents for the Andrea Gail.   the week before last,  I was working on the sails for the Jolly Rogers,  and to break up the tedium,  I pieces some of them together.   later I glued the pieces together.

59662aee8b67e_2.jpg.030d20f260171f0f307d94aefe625a47.jpg

this week.......now that I know they are quite dry,  I began to sand them...shaping them into the vents.

59662b5b83e29_3.jpg.2cf5613c739a7aee47b6138d9ef24491.jpg

I still need to do the underside {the inner curve} and refine them a little bit more........but they are  all sanded to the shape I need.

59662bc082ccd_4.jpg.d6a7dceddb411cc8daa93f555e97cc42.jpg

once they are completely sanded {I may do some hollowing out at the spout},  they will be painted,  and then added to the model.   I've also come up with a couple ideas, for how to proceed with the stern section.   I hope to have more soon....it's high time I got back to completing this model ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work Denis, they looks really good; and, a great technique!

cheers

Pat

excellent looking fishing gear Denis,

the trawler is getting better with every update....:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Pat,  Lawrence,  and Nils for the kind comment....and to all who hit the like button :)   it's a small step......I hope to add more to this saga soon ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

thank you Patrick........I had a great day yesterday.  a bit low key,  but nice none the less.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A belated happy birthday Denis. Many more in good health.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: