HM Yacht Chatham by JohnW - Caldercraft - 1:64

You should try macro photography on some of the models in the National Maritime Museum -- I am sure there were a few modellers of those days who would have been very happy not to have macro shots to display alongside their models.

Your solution about the deck planking sounds fine -- just make sure there are no implications for the intersection of pieces that have to be added in the future.

Tony

Hi Tony

Keep meaning to go up to the NMM and get some photos. Sounds like it could be interesting.

I did trial fit the parts that fit behind the door so they should be OK.

I've just taken the momentous (for me) decision to remove the first row of planks and redo with the extra bends around the stern. Hopefully the hairdrying and a good helping of patience should help get the double bend in place.

Current build  HM Yacht Chatham

I've heard that NMM has shut its ship model gallery for the moment and is moving a lot to Chatham. So it would be a good idea to check. Chatham has nice displays but is dimly lit for the models and does not allow photography at all. One thing I intend to do is to contact the Science Museum to see if it's possible to look at their collection of models which I believe has several cutters.

I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with the plank bending once you get the feel of it.

Tony

Some more progress.

After struggling to get my head around the stern area I decided to fit the stern counter. This gave me a better idea of where the planking needs to fit in that area. Some success in tidying that area up now.

I then needed to look at the bulwarks. The instructions are very vague but careful study of the plans showed where there needed to be some shaping. The removable parts of the bulkheads also provided some clues.

I've just tackled the starboard side as I wanted to make sure that it worked as planned before committing myself on both sides. Seems to look OK. Obviously more filling to do.

post-8515-0-38644300-1398863009_thumb.jpg

post-8515-0-68815000-1398863017_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnW

After getting the starboard bulwarks looking right I've now completed the port side. Had to tear off the top plank at the rear port side and start again as it just didn't look right but I think I've got there now. Good job Jotika provide some spares!

Filling and sanding of the entire first planking is now complete and I'm hoping to start on the second planking later today.

post-8515-0-28938000-1399280828_thumb.jpg

post-8515-0-67992400-1399280833_thumb.jpg

post-8515-0-56934100-1399280838_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnW

Latest progress and problem!

I've been able to second plank the stern and made a start on the hull.

The instructions suggest starting the second planking at the bulwarks and working down. I started that but at the third row down ran into a problem. From that point downwards I can't use any of my pegs and clamps to hold the second planks in place. I did try rubber bands around the hull which worked reasonably well until I realised that they were also crushing the bulwarks.

For now I've decided to plank upwards and strengthen the bulwarks but the issue remains.

I've tried using CA glue on the lower planks but that just seems to soak into the wood without sticking. I've also tried pins through the first planking and pressing against the second but that didn't seem to hold the walnut really tightly in place. As a result I've had to strip off a couple of rows with massive gaps.

So a question for the more experienced builders. What do you use to hold the second planks in place while the glue dries if there is no means of clamping?

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Some build their own clamps. I just used finger pressure till the PVA glue set (about 30 secs). Some have a mixture of PVA and CA, using CA in just a couple of spots and the PVA over the rest of the plank. If the CA is just soaking into the wood, you might try the thicker CA glues.

I am sure others will come up with better answers.

Tony

I soak 2 or 3 planks at a time then tape (masking tape) and band them in place until they dry. They then, reasonably, retain the correct shape. I then glue in place one at a time using Bostik impact adhesive.