Le Mirage by fnick - Corel - 1:75 - wood

Hi Nick,don't worry the garboard shape will reveal itself when you get close to the keel.The one piece of advise I would offer is don't make it the last one to fit.It will be a pain to shape and fit keeping the gaps minimal.If you leave the adjoining plank as the last one,then you can simply trace the shape with a piece of paper and rubbing against the edges with the side of a pencil.

Kind Regards 

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone

Update time. Another planking section finished. Woohoo! Two more to go before second planking end milestone! :)

Here are few photos.

post-600-0-26877200-1409259632_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-97459200-1409259647_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-54363100-1409259669_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-22039500-1409259682_thumb.jpg

and finally...

post-600-0-54568300-1409259701_thumb.jpg

I do have one question. Although I have no reason (well... :P ) to doubt Nigel's assertion that the garboard plank shape will reveal itself how can I split the last section into strips as the garboard is supposed to be slightly bigger? (Just to be clear I'm using the fanout template to work out plank widths and this assumes all planks are equally wide) Surely I need to put the garboard in first and then split the remaining part of the section?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks for looking in.

Nick

Hi Nick

She is looking good B) It is awfully hard to explain in words how to go about the garboard.I would divide the remaining section at the sternpost to give you the garboard width there.Then divide up the section up where the bearding line starts(about just over a third of the hull overall length in the last pic,working from the sternpost.This would give you a straight sided taper for that section.Run the garboard parallel along the keel rabbet until where you last plank starts to swing upward when viewed from the side as it goes to the bow(looks about 5 or 6 inches back from the front scarph joint)The garboard's outboard edge then wants to mimmick the upward sweep of the above planks.This is less about hard and fast rules and more about asthetics when planking in a contemporary style.Your best bet is to start with masking tape or a card template and keep playing with the shape until it follows this line.It is just this bow section that will be hard,the stern area is straight forward to draw out on tape placed in position.You will find the developed shape of this plank to look weird quite frankly,but that is how it should be.The true developed shape shouldn't look anything like a straight plank.The garboard is usually wider amidships than other planks to allow for the material fitted into the keel rabbet,when fitted it should look the same.I hope this helps rather than adds to the confusion,as I said it is hard to explain.If in doubt,you can always place a length of tape in position and draw the edge of the garboard on it,then post a pic so we can see if you are heading in the right direction ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Ahoy Nick :D 

Beautiful work 

I really like your approach to this kit 

I have the Corel Vic as a back burner project and am currently trying to formulate a plan to plank this beast. The instruction have you completing both layers of planking and then go back and cut out the ports. I don't think my skills are up to that.

I saw you used a plank on the first layer as the line for the sills.  Was this in the instructions or just your genius. Also on your second layer are you tinting that wood or is that just the natural color. 

Many thanks for posting. :)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hi all

Thanks a lot for the comments and likes.

Nigel:

I hope this helps rather than adds to the confusion

Dont worry I am no more confused than I already was :D:P . Just kidding I think I see what you mean. Once I sit down in front of Le Mirage and go over your message I'm sure it will become crystal clear. Some tape and posting a picture sounds like an excellent idea! Thanks in advance for your help ;) .

Sjors:

Thanks for your kind comment.

Almost done......

Maybe but given my progress rate..... You'll have finished both your current builds (which are looking excellent I must say!) before my second planking is done :D

I'm planning to use Danish oil on this build. I just love the warm dull (not shiny) sheen is gives. When I'll put it on is a completely different matter as oil and glue dont mix so I guess I want to put it on as late as possible but not before there's too much stuff in the way. Guess I'll cross that bridge once I've crossed the 223 others before it :D

JPett:

Thank you for your comment.

Was this in the instructions or just your genius.

Genius??!?!?!? :huh:  I'm sorry I think you have me confused with someone else... :)

No I just followed the instructions. I'm surprised the Victory does not use a similar method. To answer your last question I am not tinting the wood but I am planning to use danish oil as a finish.

Nick

Hi All

Right here are a few pictures of a garboard plank run. The edge of the plank is the top edge (when the ship is the right way up!) of the making tape.

post-600-0-88560000-1409436687_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-60370400-1409436698_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-76704000-1409436712_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-62402300-1409436752_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-82421700-1409436807_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-30539800-1409436792_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-68519000-1409436837_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-65421900-1409436828_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-69333600-1409436849_thumb.jpg

So as I have absolutely no idea :blush:  can anyone tell me if this look even remotely right? (where's that "HELP!" emoticon when you need it! :D )

Cheers

Nick

That looks pretty good to me Nick,you have the little curl at the end just right B) If you were to run it to a point,then you induce plank creep up the stem,which is to be avoided with this style of planking.I would fit the garboard and then work upwards to complete the hull.The planks will look a little like a hockey stick as you work away from the garboard then start to straighten out a little as you meet up with your last plank.You are best to adopt the tape approach for the next couple,just so you can give it a good 'eyeball' before cutting the planks.They want to adopt the slight upward sweep you have on your last plank laid at the bow.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nick,

Very nice start. Your hull planing is very very nice.

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael

Thank you for your nice comment. At first I was a bit nervous about doing the second planking this way but I have to admit (Modest? Moi? :D :D ) I'm pretty pleased at the way it's turning out!

Since I'm here might was well give a small update (sorry no photos). Spent 40 minutes last night getting the shape right for the first plank of the garboard strake. Think it looks ok. Hopefully the others will be quicker!

Nick

• 1 month later...

Evening all

Time for a small long overdue update... I've finished the garboard plank and the next line of planking after that. Looks ok to my untrained eye. As always feedback welcome. Here's the photos:

post-600-0-84733900-1414273968_thumb.jpg

Can be useful to take photos. Wouldnt have noticed the gap below otherwise! :blush: :blush:

post-600-0-53769900-1414274039_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-39268600-1414274096_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-43795800-1414274135_thumb.jpg

I'll work my way down now (from the ship's point of view) from bow to stern. That way the last plank to be glued which I wont be able to pin will be flat.

Thanks for looking

Nick

Wow Daddy Nick !

I have to wait for a long time for an update but then I've got something !!!!!!

Amazing job with the planking !!!!!

Sjors

Hi all

Thanks for the likes!

Nigel: Thanks for the feedback. Good to know I'm on the right track. Cutting planks from sheet isn't that bad especially since I've taken a leaf out of your book (or your build log more specifically :D ) and have started using a scalpel. Much sharper and much easier than the X-Acto knife.

Sjors: Thanks for your comment. Too kind. Yes updates are slow. Too much to do during the day... I dont know who invented work but I think I need to have words... :)

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all

Small update. Think I've not got the garboard quite correct :( . You can see on the picture below what I mean. The distance between the planks narrows and then expands again just before arrive at the bow. For me it just doesnt look right...

post-600-0-95902900-1416611689_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up. The arrow shows a bulge in the end plank on the second row that shouldnt be there and is part of the problem. However I also think the garboard plank needs to extend a little bit and also not curve that much. That is what I am trying to show with the line. (not that clear but drawing with the mouse is not one of my strong points! :) ). I know you have to be careful with the garboard in not letting it rise too much otherwise that causes a bunching up of the planks above but I think I have gone too far the other wayat the moment!

post-600-0-69963700-1416611845_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to only remove the three end planks....

Nick

Hi Daddy Nick,

Maybe you can put a little water on it or are you using waterproof glue ?

It should be not a big fix.

Good luck with it !

Sjors

Hi Nick

I have been pondering on this one.I feel that if you carry on as you are then the planking will look correct when the ship is the correct way up.The wider ends that meet the stem,will not appear wider due to the angle the stem slopes away.This is hard to explain,but from memory,a similar thing happened on Caroline,the plank ends did fan out so they appear a more uniform depth when viewed from ahead ( with the model the right way up).I suggest you draw the remaining planks in,in pencil,then you should see what I mean.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hey Sjors and Nigel!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It should be not a big fix.

You're absolutely right Sjors. In fact it's going to be non-existent!! Think Nigel may be onto something here... A couple of photos to explain...

So here I've drawn the planks as Nigel suggested. They are a lot wider especially compared to the planks above (as in if the ship was the right way up)

post-600-0-19568900-1416695275_thumb.jpg

however, turn the ship the right way up... and voila! :)

post-600-0-60256200-1416695287_thumb.jpg

Actually doesn't look bad at all (well apart from my uneven unsanded second planking :D ).

I think I may even try to do those drawn planks first just to make sure it does look ok before carrying with the rest of the planking.

Thanks a lot again guys (Don't you just LOVE MSW!! :) :) )

Nick

• 8 months later...

Hi all

so 8 and a half months later... ho hum  :blush: here's an update...

To be fair to myself... we have moved house. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!  :)

One big plus side to the house (apart from being bigger and detached and closer to preschools, schools, etc, yes I know very minor items  :D ) is that is has a garage, And part of that has been converted into a dockyard!! Woohoo! It's so good to have a dedicated area for model building. I also had the fun of building my own work bench (just in case you can't tell from the photos...) using slats of a bed we didnt need anymore and an kitchen worktop.

Anyhoo enough talking from me. Here's a few photos. Yes not much of an update (only an extra line of planks) but I don't care it's an update!!

It's good to be building again  :36:

post-600-0-68427900-1439044810_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-27462800-1439044821_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-63704200-1439044829_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Hopefully the next update won't take another 8 months!  ;)  :P

Nick

Well good luck with that Nigel.

Evening all

Update time! I know less than a week since the last one! :)

I've completed the second planking on the starboard side. Nearly there.... However I have decided to redo the keel and the bow of the ship. The reason as you can see from the photos is that although the wood is also walnut the colour is too different from the walnut I used for the second planking. It just doesn't look right. :( I don't mind different shades but that's taking it a bit too far!! :)  I'd rather not have to do that but hopefully the results will make it worthwhile. So that's what I'll be tackling next instead of the last strip of second planking.

Anyhoo enough ramblings here are some photos.

post-600-0-46934500-1439406498_thumb.jpg

Just to show what I mean by the different colours, especially the plank furthest left that seems to have discoloured completely... :huh:

post-600-0-84474500-1439406511_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-29188800-1439406522_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Nick