I am sure this has been covered and if I was better at IT  I would do a build log.  Buidling HMS Swift  all going ok till now.  the planks despite being wet and pretty bendy wont curve nicely at the bow and even worse I am one plank short.

Ever the improviser I have cut another one form the ply template blank that the deck blank was in,  This has broken when being bent despite being very wet.  I am sure I can repair as its first plank layer.  but my bow planks do not cure as nicely as i would like.  

Anyone got any ideas???   this is a small model so the planks are small, as my Wife has got sick of dusting "Norske Love", which I built over 20 years ago.

I have to say I love the build, its a challenge the plans are not as good as they could be and the English is god fun to read

Am I missing a trick doing my plank bending please?.   I should say I tapered all at bow and stern so almost no filling required.  

Isnt it fun creating a real beautiful model from a lot of flat planks and sheets so you see a curvy 3 dimensional piece of practical art

Try adding heat.  Boiling water or use a curling iron or heated plank bender.   I moved this to the planking forum.  Check for the posts on bending wood as we've had a lot of them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Guest EricD

If you are going to a lot of models a plank bender is a good investment.  Hot water works but sometimes the wood can shrink when it dries so you have to work very slowly.

If you use the soak and bend, let them dry completely before installing them in place.  Eric is right... they will shrink.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

One of the first plank on bulkhead models I attempted was the AL Swift.  Not knowing any better I just let the planks run on their natural path and filled in the gaps with stealers.  Worked great for the first layer and didn't look to bad for the second layer but does require more thought and planning on placing the planking strips to get a fair looking final result.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

If you haven't seen this one:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/353-planking-instructiontutorial-by-jack-nastyface/    It was done for a Swift.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: