Triton Cross Section 1:32 (Pete 38)

Very nice work Pete.I like your mill.Looks like it's very accurate. Frames are vere nice.      Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Pete, your mill work looks very clean and sharp. I've started a slush fund for my next possible buy for ship work and a mill is one of the items that keeps popping up on my shoulder. :)

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

I have now cut all the notch with my mill in the fames. Still have 2 frames left to be glued. Hopefully tommorrow.

With that done I can now glue up my keel and false keel and get them mounted to my building board.  Have been using the keel itself to check and size the notchs

I wanted to try the black paper approach to simulate the caulking at least 1 time so I fiqured this is the simplest place to try it.

I started by glueing the false keel to the black paper itself. I had heard somewhere that when using the paper it would weaken the joint, so I treated it like it was just another piece of wood to glue between the two.

post-63-0-24953300-1364094048.jpg

After the glue had dried I then glued and clamped the keel to it

post-63-0-32966100-1364094179.jpg

post-63-0-10042400-1364094182.jpg

After the glued had dried on this assemble I scrapped the excess glue off. Dome some light sanding with a sanding stick with 80grit then used a razor blade to scrape to get the final finish on the piece.

post-63-0-53090500-1364094301.jpg

I have left the false keel long on each end so that I can mount it securely to the build board with no worries of it moving.

post-63-0-44335100-1364094381.jpg

post-63-0-30616500-1364094384.jpg

This was the first time using the black paper and will propably be my last. I will go back to the pencel to simulate any caulking that I will do. The paper when sanding down can leave a mess on the wood that was a bit of a pain to get cleaned off. Even though it looks okay.

Edited by Pete38

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Pete:

Nice work on the keel assembly. Everything looks very nealy done.

Russ

Since the last 2 frames are in process of being glue decided to start the treenails on the frames.

First I cut a piece of heavy plastic (from screw container) and made a template for the treenail positons. This in order to repeat my pattern with all the frames.

post-63-0-33817700-1364139868.jpg

This idea was taken from some previous post on MSW1 (I had seen this in chad86 build)

post-63-0-85388500-1364139870.jpg

Temporary attach to the frame with a little tape and mark the locations of the treenails with a pick

post-63-0-84523200-1364139876.jpg

I marked the hole this way instead of using the plastic patten on the dremmel drill press so the hole would not loose their loaction

SEE YA LATER

I set up my dremmel workstaion with a scrap piece of wood on the bottom to prevent tearout in the frames as the bit passes through.

Made sure the drill bit  (.310 size) was square with the base

post-63-0-40688600-1364140238.jpg

Then drilled the marked holes all the way through the frame. Being carefull to back the bit out multiple time to clean so as to keep the hole drilling straight.

post-63-0-60365500-1364140392.jpg

post-63-0-22269600-1364140395.jpg

I then started to install the treenail in the frame (using bamboo treenail)

When dry fitting the treenail in the frame there was no problem getting the treenail all the way through the frame, but when adding some waterdowned glue, this would swell the bamboo just enough to make it a problem getting all the way through. Have to work fast in order to make it in one length of treenail

post-63-0-41279900-1364140418.jpg

post-63-0-75952200-1364140420.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Pete:

That is very accurate work. One thing to consider is to use a drill bit that is a touch larger than your treenails. That will allow it to swell a bit with the glue. I would keep the bit you are using and just give the treenail stock an extra pull or two through the last hole in the plate you used. Just enough to give it a breath of clearance.

Russ

I received my Jim Byrnes draw plate about a 2 weeks ago. Haven’t had a chance to try it as yet. Looks like I made a good choice and will plan on using it and Russ’ notes about treenails to put it to work with this project. :)

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Pete,

Those are some lovely frames.  Nice and exact work on the treenailing. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark  thanks for the nice compliment :blush:   Just try to make it so I don't have to go back and make the frames over again.  50/50 chance so far :D   

Only 50-50?  I must have done something wrong then.  My scrapbox ate about 75% of my frames from this project.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Pete,

I echo what Kip just said about the restart of you build log. 

Beautiful build you have going. I find section models very interesting. Your build logs are always a joy to visit. Thanks for sharing your techniques and methods.

Keep on.....

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted in kit build log.

Current: Sultana (MSW) Updating the build log and continuing on with the build

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Edited by hopeful

Pete

Your build is looking great.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Nice work Pete.                Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Just a small update. I have now all the frames glued up....rough sanded with the drum sander on the drill press... and the paper templated remove.  Will now concentrate on the treenails for each frame before raising them. Here's a few pictures

Could not resist just standing them on the building board ..keel for the pictures.. :D

post-63-0-83572300-1364576008_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-75926600-1364576011_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-14282300-1364576014_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-69413800-1364576016_thumb.jpg

SEE YA LATER

Great job Pete!

I do like the set square you have made with that round shape. It looks pretty secured with the screws and everything. It is also a neat contrast between the white layout and the wood of the frames and the keel.

I´ll stay tuned for more. It´s looking good to me!

Daniel.

Very nice Pete. Frames are looking very good. 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Looking really nice. I hope you are enjoying it as much as we are.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout