HMS Victory by robipod - Caldercraft - 1805 version - first build

Second coats of Admiralty Yellow Ochre done. On both sides I might add. :D  Did the final filler. Did not mention that I've been using LePage Wood Filler (interior) 90 ml tubes. They come in different colours. I have been using walnut. I like the wood filler as opposed to the plastic wood by the same company. This filler dries fast and is easy to manipulate with the fingers. Yep, I get the fingers dirty. I use my finger to spread the filler on the smaller seams. The plastic wood is just too hard when it dries. This wood filler is relatively soft when it dries. Much easier to work with.

Here are two images. The touch-ups along some of the planking seams and then the result. I am very pleased with the result. I wanted to keep the seams appearing to a very minimum. I know long term drying will wreak havoc on it. Oh well, looks good now.

Here is the side with some filler and a bit of sanding. Oh, I did the filling, sanding, and painting all this evening. That's what I mean by fast drying filler. Figure the sides will look great when I put the gun port linings back in.

post-1276-0-91223000-1363760827_thumb.jpg

Here is the result tonight.

post-1276-0-44236500-1363760837_thumb.jpg

Decided to throw in a picture of the filler. It is upside down so you can read the packaging.. LOL...

post-1276-0-35691800-1363762093_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Tried my first horizontal black line. Came up with the "brilliant idea" of using electrical tape to define the line. It seems to fit perfectly. It even stretches to match the curve of the hull but It doesn't work. Thought you should know. Have some fix-up to do. LOL... oh well... the yellow ochre works really well....

needed some fun so made this up

post-1276-0-94479800-1364260605_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Hi Rob,

Next time try the blue painer tape. It works very well and is at any Lowes or Home Depot. 

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mort... thanks for the idea... I tried the green painter tape from Home Depot too. Didn't seem to work all that well in my testing stage, but I am using it to fix up the electrical tape effort. Is there a difference between the blue and green?  I read somewhere, am thinking Gii's post, that he used a 'plastic-type' tape. Will take a look at it too.

Rob in Calgary

Hi Rob, In my opinion, green or blue masking tape is too thick and course. It works on a real boat, but isn't delicate enough for a model. The tape I use is 3M Fine line tape #218  1/4" wide.  Both sides need to be painted or primed or you may get bleeding in the wood under the tape.  I lay the tape on and then firmly work my finger along the tape to get a good seal. The tape is thin and narrow and will follow a curve. You can also get it in  1/8" width.

You're making great progress.  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXDYE9&P=8

This works very well and comes in different sizes - i used 6mm

Disclaimer

lol - its the tape i am showing - not where to buy it from, or price to pay

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thank you everyone.. have found a source for tamiya Masking Tape 40mm as suggested by Kevin and Derek and found a source for the 3m tape as suggested by Gil. I tried the green tape again this evening just fixing and it doesn't 'flow' to the same degree or stretch as a a 'plastic based' tape. Will try both of the new tapes. Am sure they will work just fine. Funny part of this locating of the tapes -- at two different locations about 5 blocks apart and not that far away from me here in the city.- who would have thought! Thanks again everyone. Appreciate the suggestions. One small precaution I did take is that I made this first attempt about 2mm too narrow. Figured I might have to fix it up. 

Must also admit that I hummed and hawed about the black Admiralty paint as well. I have a matt black paint that I used on the interior and almost used it instead of the Admiralty. I went to the photos of the actual Victory and from what I can figure out, the current painting certainly seems to be a semi-gloss black paint. Well, even the yellow ochre has a slight 'shine' to it. The admiralty paint seemed to have a better black 'pop' to it. someone was suggesting to me that they were not that satisfied with the matt black Admiralty paint as well. They thought it a bit too glossy. Am still struggling though. I can paint over the glossy paint but must make my decision now as the rest of the ship will have to be done the same way. decisions decisions... this is harder than riding down a mountain!

Rob in Calgary

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks everyone. Ended up with Tamiya tape. The 3m tape supplier ended up being a wholesaler. My personal ratings on this side of the hull are 6 out of 10 for the horizontals. Am pleased that one will not be able to see both sides at the same time. Still lots of fiddling with the gun ports. On to the port side later this week or next. Discovered that the horizontals will not show up in a dark room.

post-1276-0-82115500-1364800144_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

It's Monday. Time for more Victory images? Does anyone care to speculate on the deck/location that I took these ones?

Could this (3C) be inside the hold at the bow? Or the orlop deck at the bow? any speculation? Is this lower view (3C) under the deck of image (3B)? Any speculation? I've never been able to remember :(

Image3C

post-1276-0-06514100-1364865019_thumb.jpg

Image3B

post-1276-0-44480000-1364865047_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Konstantin: That makes sense. From the link you supplied it sure looks like it would be a shot taken from the hold looking up. That must be the orlop deck that is at the top of the photo (3C). I just zoomed into the picture that I took of the foremast. You are right on! I didn't think it was the same but once I really zoomed in yes, it is. Thank you!... solved....

Rob in Calgary

Derek: this is a bit out of order but yes, the tape works so much better. Thanks for the tip. haven't done much since the weekend. Looks like the mountains are getting a huge dump of the white stuff the next couple days... not much going to be done on victory these week... the mountains and fresh powder are calling...

Rob in Calgary

Hi Rob,

I am just beginning. My hull frames are faired and in place. I want to illuminate and like your implementation of putting background in the lower decks. I never thought of that! Would you be willing to please elaborate on what you might do if you were doing a version 2.0, that I might benefit from your experience? What is the optimal location within each cannon port to place the LED? Are you satisfied with your placement? When I was at Gil's house yesterday, he was wondering if additional LED's in the lower decks that would produce illumination visible when looking through from the top would work? I know how to handle the electronic aspect. At this point in my speculative imaginering I contemplate one level of brilliancy for the aft officers quarters and a lower level for the gun ports, etc. I know how to deal with the electronic aspect and since it is impossible to get back inside the ship to modify components I'd adjust the dim/brightness external to the ship. 

So, the bottom line is, I like what you have done. Should I replicate it as is or what modifications might you wish based on your present state of the art?

Thanks,

John Maguire

Seattle

You see the fragment of this building with an entrance door in opening of gun port on the photo.
A grate on port is a certificate that before a reconstruction during that your photo is done, a ship was used as floating prison and storage.

That could be it or maybe the one to the right? The grate is actually scaffolding on the exterior of the hull during the re-construction.

Take a look at this. I zoomed into the gun port. I can see the doorway and window.   You are quite the detective!

post-1276-0-79124000-1365921609_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

That's the real one.. now back to my build. Have done the horizontals on both sides now. Hmmm... am thinking they are not correct. The camera does not give a true image and there seems to be optical illusions with them .  They just don't seem right! Am thinking that you folks, google, and others in the world will know but my friends come over and ask if the model is "the ship in Pirates of the Caribbean". Guess they will never know unless they read this. Will stew about this for bit. Will put the gun ports in now and 'see how she looks'. It might require a paint scraping session. :(

post-1276-0-08053500-1365922482.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

I am a pensioner from a police.
14 worked in the prison system.

:)

If you attentively will look at your photo, then will notice that the right(on a photo) side of port(that nearer to the nose) is located almost apeak, and left of port has some inclination into a corps.
Such form one port has in this part of corps only.

180551fc472c.jpg

e1286da287e3.jpg

Only observation...

Edited by Fortres

You, Rob, experience what I.
To see majority in our works not certain ship and construction executed for certain, and "simply sailing-vessel".
I am often asked only about one: when I to allow the models a figure on water and where I will do it - on the river or in a bathroom...
Sadly...

:(

Looking at the photo I posted from the outside, can you see the plastic covering is to the left side of the lower walkway Konstantin. I don't think it can be the one you have circled now that I look at it a bit closer. It has to be further to the right. At least one or two over. Unless it is the gun port on the upper gun deck above the walkway. What do you think?

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Rob, do not I know - were there you in Portsmouth ?
I use the program Google Earth, that shows an earth surface on a photo from a space companion.
She allows in detail to consider the stand of Victory...even in 3D...
House that is visible in gun port, forms the facade with a ship a corner approximately in 25 degrees with a top at the stern of ship.On this basis type of facade I and I try to define gun port.
Maybe, you are right and port is located nearer to the stern.But me it seems to that the turn of edging is visible in right part of photo - it means nasal part.
The coloured photo that you showed behaves to the later reconstruction.
That photo that we discuss it is done(probably) in 1922-1925.These photos are done at this time.

dda72a877c46.jpg

21fa2596c269.jpg

f52225d13aa2.jpg

I took all the pictures I've been posting of Victory. Ran out of colour film when I was down in the hold and had a roll of black and white film that i put in the camera Konstantin.  Don't be confused by black and white photos versus colour. All were taken on the same day when I went to see Victory in Portsmouth. The black and white and colour photos that I took have the 'do not copy etc' on them.  

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary