Continental Gunboat PHILADELPHIA by Chuck Seiler - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale - Enhanced

Huzzah!!!  The hanger bolts have arrived!!!!   Let's go back a step.

post-1153-0-94573600-1409119149_thumb.jpg

Pedestal and hanger bolt.  I am using a 1" 8-32.

post-1153-0-52229100-1409119150_thumb.jpg

Hanger bolts installed into pedestals.  One has bolt for fit.

post-1153-0-90749200-1409119150_thumb.jpg

HB-P assemblies test fitted into floorboard with keel aligned.

post-1153-0-33503600-1409119151_thumb.jpg

Close up.  I will level the pedestals so the topis even with the floor.  I will then mark the keel so that I can slot it for the screw, then widen one part to accommodate the nut.  More to follow.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Bart,

How over-thick is it? If it is reasonable, it can always be sanded down. You will be sanding alot of the bottom anyway. A little dremel action to get the meat and then sanding bvlock for the whole surface.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Glad to see those hanger bolts are gonna work for ya!  Don't know about you but I could NOT have drilled through those pedestals in a straight line to save my a.. :D

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Tim,

I will be staining the pedestals. I am looking at using FRUITWOOD (which I just bought and want to try out).

Pops,

I think the hanger bolts will work out well. I will probably go with a woodscrew into the bottom of the pedestal.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Keel Assembly

The basic keel assembly is also a three piece.  It is long and bendy, so I need to be careful with it.  I will be happy when it is safely glued to the floorboard.  As you know, I will be cutting MORE slots in it to accommodate the screws.  Any wagers as to how many times it will break before I glue it to the floor?

post-1153-0-14951100-1409202031_thumb.jpg

I placed the keel piece on a flat board...glass would be better, but I didn't have any this size.  I first attached the stem piece.  I placed a heavy, flat object on top to keep it flat.  Notice that most of the keel is intended.  That is where the floorboard will go.

post-1153-0-56320500-1409202031_thumb.jpg

Next comes the stern piece.  Same-o, same-o.  It doesn't matter if you do the stem first or the stern.  You have to be careful not to be brandishing the assembly like an Arabian cymatar lest that first slot from the rear cracks off (or so I have heard).

post-1153-0-88669700-1409202031_thumb.jpg

Before I get too far, I will want to stain the keel between slots 5-6 and 11-12. IIRC, some of this will stick up from the fore and aft cockpits.  Its easier to stain and sand it now than later.

post-1153-0-37579900-1409202032_thumb.jpg

Next, I will be placing some pieces in the stem and stern that will help form the rabbet.  These pieces will be inside the planking and not visible, so I can leave them basswood.  Note the bevel.

post-1153-0-12228500-1409202033_thumb.jpg

Another piece will be added to form the other side of the rabbet.  These will be visible and I will make these out of boxwood rather than use the basswood piece provided in the kit.  The pieces on the stem are 18a and 18b, while the ones in the stern are 25 and 26.  Yeah, I don't know either.  I think the kit was designed by army guys too.*

post-1153-0-51887200-1409202033_thumb.jpg

Here is how the stem piece will fit.  I am using one of the cross supports to square the piece and ensure it fits in the correct location.

* PHILADELPHIA has alot of things you don't normally find on a ship, or is rigged/built different than you would normally find.  I attribute that to the fact it was designed by army guys.  For a discussion of those, you can browse my PHILLY 1 log.   ...or wait around, I am sure I will mention them again.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I would use whatever you are using on your interior planking. I will be using Golden Pecan for interior.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

PUBLISH OR DIE :10_1_10:

Sadly, I am drawn back to modeling rather than being at the beach.  Oh well.  Next week when the crowds leave.

post-1153-0-04270600-1409530744_thumb.jpg

I have attached the keel piece.  The 'rabbet pieces' (18a and 18b) have bee added to the stem.  Frames 16 and 15 are dry fitted.  The inside of the frame uprights remain unsanded.  They will eventually be sanded on a bevel parallel to the exterior bevels.

Exterior bevels have been partially cut with about 75% of the material removed.  These will be finalized once all frames are in place.

post-1153-0-70756700-1409530744_thumb.jpg

I used boxwood for parts 18a and 18b.  I also added a boxwood piece in front of the stem.  It appears that a need to do a little more sanding to blend in the joint.  

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chuck....Happy Labor Day weekend. We too, decided to stay away from the beach this weekend....just too many people.

Enjoying your build....but....your thin blue script font is tough on these old eyes. Looks nice....tough to read.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave,

How's that?

post-1153-0-34939500-1409545800_thumb.jpg

For those of you not familiar with the kit, the frames/bulkheads are pre-scribed with limit lines for beveling and tick mark for planking.  These are in lieu of tick strips and lining off the hull.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Chuck....The bolder and bigger works much nicer. Don't need to change for me, but some of the other old farts out there may have been having the same difficulty.

Carry on Mate.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

post-1153-0-33528700-1409599045_thumb.jpg

With the keel installed, I ran lines perpendicular to the keel in order to ensure the frames remained square to the keel when installed.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I wanted to get 1-2 and 15-16 in to anchor the ends, then 9-10 for the middle.  After that it is based on room available for my squares to fit.  I want to avid the areas adjacent to the pedestals until the nuts are glued in place.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Progress!!!  At this rate, I will be done by Halloween.  (not likely).

post-1153-0-20985500-1409612372_thumb.jpg

Progress continues on installing frames.

post-1153-0-61684300-1409612372_thumb.jpg

At this point, before it gets too cluttered, I want to install the pedestal assemblies.  Basically these are the nuts that the hanger bolts will screw into.  Here is the forward assembly.

post-1153-0-09086700-1409612373_thumb.jpg

Aft assembly.  I need to be careful here to ensure (1) all is straight and (2) I don't glue the bolt to the nut.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I am installing one side at a time.  With the way these are set up, it pretty much doesn't matter, as long as you ensure they are square.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Bart,

That's good to hear. Another Philly for all to see. Hopefully Steve wil post some more pics soon. :-)

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Over on Steve's log we were talking about nails. Based on observations of the actual hull and pieces-parts/artifacts outlined in John Bratten's book, the nails were no more than 1/2 wide. By my calculations that would be .02". At that scale, I don't think that the fact they are square makes any diff.

We are discussing this now, with the plan that at some point we may or may not "nail" the hull.

Out to the peanut gallery for thoughts/comments.

Hey!! I made LCDR. It only took 28 years.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

I was thinking of taking a stab at Ed Tosti's method of using mono-filiment...probably grey, if available. However, given the number of nails, this would be overwhelming. I figured the number at one point. I don't remember what that was but it falls into the category of "butt-load".

To answer Steve's question on his log...Each plank is nailed at each frame-1 nail for every 4 or 6 inches of width(I would have to recalculate). Remember, the kit only uses half the number of frames the real boat had, so plan accordingly.

post-1153-0-87669200-1409951229_thumb.jpg
This gives you a rough idea what kind of measles infested beast it will look like.

PS...All those little dimples are the nails.

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild